Special tricks?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by mikkejohansson, Mar 8, 2004.

1. I figure you longtime DB-players develop some kind of "trick bag" for checking out a new or different bass. I know I have a few "musicstore" chops and tricks for trying out EBG, and it'd be fun to hear what you do; A quick slide up to the D on the g-string? A hard hit of the E-string? The first four bars of "Donna Lee"? What?

Bring it on!
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    the first thing that I like to do is spin the bass on the end pin as fast as possible. Less wobble indicates the bass is well-balanced symmetrically and worthy of further consideration.

If that goes OK, I next tilt the bass over a bit and throw my leg across it and "get in the saddle" if you will. I find the wider lower bouts to be more difficult to mount.

If the bass passes that test, I will go forward with the full C bout mount. For this I make sure I am wearing rubber-soled shoes, as the newer, shiny basses tend to be slick and a leather soled boot or shoe slips easily. If the bass balances well, a couple of pogos around the shop usually tell me all I need to know about the bass.

But it is really about the sound, so if the bass is still cutting the mustard, I'll drop to one knee and throw it up on the other and crank out a bar or two of "Rock This Town." I have found the Gamba style to be more conducive to this practice, as the pointy corners of the Viol shape can cause a pretty nasty charlie horse.
  3. :)

...I was actually being serious about it but hey - a good laugh saves your life!
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
  5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    See, that's the thing. If you're shopping for a serious DB, you're not in a guitar store, you're in a luthier's workshop. The easiest way to impress somebody who hears serious DB players all the time is just to play a C major scale over two octaves in tune.

I can't do it, that's for sure.
  6. I didn't mean a way to impress someone but rather to get a quick grip of what the bass sounds/feels like, don't you develop some kind of "habit" at least as to what the first thing to play on a new bass is?
  7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I just play the thing and see what it sounds and feels like.
  8. This could get long....So instead...I would ask to take the bass home and play it in a room where you're used to the sound. I always look for eveness all over the board.
    Have a friend play the bass so you can get away from the bass.......The End.
  9. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    OMG Chas that's funny. If I didn't already have a lengthy signature, I would use that quote for sure.

Come to think of it, last time I was at Summer NAMM in Nashville, some guy asked if he could stand on one of our basses. Now that you own a Shen, I'm wondering if that was you!

Are you about 5'8", big slicked back hair, tattooed like a sailor, and dressed for Grease?
  10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

My wife could only be so lucky! :)

6'4", crew cut, terrified of needles and haven't purchased a pair of bluejeans in 10 years!!

I do dig cars though.