1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    The one I posted was a 4, you posted a fiver, no?

2. Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
  3. DownUnder_Funk

DownUnder_Funk Gold Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Folks with EMGs, how close are you running them to the strings?

I’ve heard with actives they can be much closer to the string vs a passive set up.

The Rage and Eddie LeBlanc like this.
  4. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Close is gross!!!

In all seriousness though. You don’t want your pups to Close. When depressing on the 24th I try to maintain an 1/8” inch of spacing between the B and the pick ups.

5. DownUnder_Funk

DownUnder_Funk Gold Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I never get em too close!!

My D and G strings sound a little weak vs E and A, but I need to work out if it’s old strings or whether my P needs to be raised slightly on that side.

Got some new strings ready to roll, might do that today and then see if it’s still pup height being the main difference between volume. Bridge pup is all good :thumbsup:

Eddie LeBlanc and AB Nate like this.
  6. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Oh, right! My bad.

7. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    This applies more to EMG than any sort of active set up. EMG active pickups have fairly weak magnets compared to other pickups. An internal preamp in rhe pickup itself brings the output level up to what normal pickups usually produce. The battery is needed to power this internal preamp.

On normal pickups, placing the strings too close to them can cause a chorus or doubling type of wobbling sound that isn’t pleasant. This disappears when when the pickups are lowered away from the strings.

This doesn’t happen with EMG pick ups because of the weaker magnets. You can place the strings very close to the top of EMG pickups if you’d like, and you won’t get that odd sound. That said , most people these days were looking for that sort of feeling often go with a ramp.

The Rage, fibz and DownUnder_Funk like this.
  8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Making the swap. Unfortunately I have to go in to work 20210228_120627.jpg

9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Yup, love the DCX's. More head room, more natural sounding, way less clipping issues. Definitely works better with my Helix stomp

10. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Knew you find them to your liking. Enjoy Amigo.:hyper:

jack7265 likes this.
  11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    FEE2CDD8-0DE1-4C24-89ED-8E37752162E0.jpeg E5F78198-1B3A-44A0-AC28-FF89DA9B5CA1.jpeg
    Look how much my NS4CRFM has yellowed over the last 21 to 22 years. :wideyed:

It’s hard for me to pinpoint it’s actual date of manufacture. From what the Spector Archives website states, the NS4CRFM’s that came with an EMG BTS eq and crown inlays range from 1999 to 2000. I bought it from a local music store in late 2002.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  12. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    No, but a week later I was in the band, so I guess they've must liked it.
    However, when I brought my Ian Hill the singer loved it. He also wanted to play it a little^^

jack7265 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  13. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    I was thinking about it. Do someone know if there's a sort of "reference number" or is all up to taste?

Trying different combinations of pickups, it seems to me J/J, neck and bridge, have ended the same exact distance, while with a P/DC configuration I liked the P at maybe 4.5mm and DC at 2/2.5mm.
    On some youtube videos there's commenters saying thye have neck and bridge at the same distance, while on this forum someone posted a replay of PJ Rubal in which is written that "the USA measurement for the USA shop were 3/16" on the neck and 1/8" on the bridge" (guess this was for the P/J configuration).

For now I usually put them where they have the more sustain (using the intro to Dead or alive by Bon Jovi as "measurement" :D), and for the bridge, to me it seems 3mm-1/8" is a good number

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  14. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    AB Nate, Arthur U. Poon and andynj65 like this.
  15. Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    andynj65, SS904, bobunit and 3 others like this.
  16. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I've been busy since last Tuesday. A good friend of mine has been down with Covid, almost completely recovered (he is an amazing bassist) and his band had a gig on Friday that they asked if I could cover. Of course I said yes but I had 3 days to learn 45 songs for the night, thankfully I knew a good third of them and had played a number of the others at one point. They are mainly a dance band with stuff like Shakira and what not. Completely out of my wheelhouse. Any way I brought my NS2A and Rebop 5 for the show. They sounded great in the mix. The drummer is a friend as well and we played in a different project a few years ago and he said how much he liked the way they sounded. It was a good show we had a great crowd, outdoors on a big deck, and we pulled it off without any drama so that was a relief!

The next night I had a show with one of my other two bands at another big outdoor venue down here. I brought my Euro 4LX for that night. It hits like a hammer. We had another great night with a bigger crowd than the night before and the crowd stayed with us most of the evening. Anyway here we are at Monday and I'm pooped!

Score 2 for Spector!

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

18. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Don't know if I like the fretboard but the rest
    Excellent! Glad tohear somebody’s gigging out there.

andynj65, Eddie LeBlanc and TinIndian like this.
  19. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Forte Collector - not done yet Supporting Member

That's great to hear, I haven't gigged in nearly a year, March 13 , 2020 was the last show I played live.

NigelD and TinIndian like this.
  20. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021