1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iamerror, Apr 3, 2006.

1. iamerror

iamerror

Apr 3, 2006
    This is my first post... thank you talkbass and users for all of the information available. I have been visiting for a while and just joined. I want to buy a second bass, one that is better quality/better sounding (sorry if this ends up being another "what bass should I buy" threads). I have been looking at Spectors (mainly the Euro and Euro LX) I have searched many threads about Spector basses, many people describe Spectors as having a HI-FI sound... do these basses still have a deep tone? From searching, it seems the Euro has a higher tone than the Euro LX because of the different wood choices, can anyone expound upon the differences in tone? I need to try more basses out, but I have not found any Spectors locally yet. There is mainly one thing I do not like about Spectors so far: a player from a band I can't stand uses one (Mike Kroeger of Nickelback, no offense to anyone who likes Nickelback) I know it is rather vain, I probably should just push that fact out of my mind. Any other reason not to buy a Spector... any comments on the Euro, Euro LX, or Spectors in general would be great. Thanks.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heh, funny that you mention Mike Kroeger, I wont go into it, but lets just say a member who used to post here was.. well, nevermind.

Spectors stil do have a low sound. Hi-fi just means its quite modern, aggressive, and such.

Catbuster likes this.
  3. patrickshofner

patrickshofner Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Central Kentucky
    I personally own a euro5 LX and I would describe the sound as being mellower than a crfm series. The alder tones down the maple and results in some thick low range tones. Having said that, dont think for a second that the LX cant get down and dirty. I play mine through an SVT IV and it can rock when called to duty. Not to mention that the playability is awesome. Get either one and you'll love it. But the LX is a beast thats a bit more tame. :smug:

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Spectors indeed have a modern tone due to the EMG's. The all maple Spectors can get down and dirty, but the maple yields bright overtones. I haven't played an LX yet, but I've been told that the alder wood supresses the brightness of the tone. Don't confuse brightness with clarity as the do have tons of that. With the active P/J setup, you're able to dial in an infinite number of tones and I'm quite sure you'll be happy with one.:bassist:

5. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    y'all spector loveers don't kill me( i like spectors too!), but try out some warwicks. i used to want a spector real real real bad, but than i played a wick, and i was quickly....well the rest is history.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Had a USA Bolt-On 5, whereas the Bolt-On construction I believe takes a little bit of the high end off, but it's still a fairly bright bass with the maple construction and the EMG's. The Tone-Pump preamp is especially strong, can be very bright and modern, but they also do a very deep fundamental.

7. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I don't think that the Warwicks as good as they can be (and I own a Streamer Pro M5) is really going to blow away a NY hand made Spector ... atleast that has not been my experience, and I've owned several. As to the Spector tone the EMG system although good is just a little too modern of a sound for me ... and my 93 has gone passive with pickups from HAS-Sound .

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the Spector Euro's i've seen at guitar center arent too shabby, and honestly, w/ the EMG setup and spector's tone pump preamp, they all sounded the same regardless of woods. still, anything w/ EMG's is like opening a can of whumpass.

9. It may seem like it, but this is NOT a shameless plug for myself as a player or for my band. On my website there is a video at the bottom of the screen. It loads automatically, but may take several minutes before it comes up. When it's loaded you just scroll the mouse over the block and it starts playing.

Anyhow, the tone you're hearing is an all maple Euro Spector run completely flat through a Genz Benz rig. There are alot of descriptions around on how they sound, but it's better to hear it for yourself. Anyhow, if you're interested in hearing what the all maple Spector sounds like without studio coloration follow this link: www.bulletproofbrown.com

The video is at the bottom, and again it takes a little while to load, but it will give you a good idea of the Spector sound.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Spectors can certainly do a low tone, which I quite dig because even when you've got the bass boosted, you still get a lot of brightness which helps to add definition to all those low notes!

But if you're looking at a deep, heavy bass tone, check out Warwick. They're a totally different animal-perhaps less tame than Spector-and they're worth checking out as they have a lot of models reknonwed for producing some serious low end and growl, but they also have a wonderful clarity.

11. Graham Maby uses Spectors and he gets the low sound. Listen to his recordings on the Natalie Merchant albums. Unfortunately, Spectors often get pigeon-holed into being branded as bright sounding basses. Note that they offer different pickup configurations and that affects the sound.

Paul Mac

12. Please don't judge the company by who plays their instruments. Personally I don't care for Nickelback or other bands that play that type of music, but it doesn't make a difference to me if they endorse Spector or not. I love my Spectors because I can get all sorts of tones from them. I play rock, contemporary Christian, country and jazz and get any tone I need for these genre's. Do yourself a favor and don't worry about who's playing what...let your ears be your guide. :)

13. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    One word bright,

With their stock electronics anyway.

14. iamerror

iamerror

Apr 3, 2006
    Thanks for the replies.

You're right. If a bass is right for me, it should not matter who else uses one. Besides, I am not anyone who could tell someone how they should play their bass or what music they should play.

Spector seems to make quality basses based on the following they have here. I will have to see if they are right for me... if I can I will try Warwicks and others too. Thanks for that music clip CaptainHueso. I like that bass sound, very nice. I don't think I could groove like that yet, though.

15. iamerror

iamerror

Apr 3, 2006
    Oh yeah, another question. In general do Spectors "cut through the mix" well? I have heard that they do and heard that they don't. I could hear the bass perfectly on that music clip. Or this something that is not affected much by the bass itself, mainly on other factors?

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    one person's "bright", is another's "cutting". ;)

course, nothing a set of nickelwound strings wont solve.

17. You should check out some old Alice In Chains, Mike Starr was a Spector guy. That'll give you a good idea of the aggresive sounds that Spectors are capable of. But don't think that it's "cut and dry", you can pretty much get a good Spector to sound like whatever you want it to.

Personally, I like to blend that modern sound with some extra lows, Spector can give you an amazing mix of clarity with some mud. Just be careful with the volume controls, I've found that when you crank the volumes you loose clarity, at least on mine. I don't know if it's the TonePump Pre or the EMG's but Spectors get REALLY LOUD!!

As far as cutting through? Yeah, they'll cut through, or blend in, or anything else you want em to.

BTW, I like Warwick but I'd choose Spector everytime. :D

Good Luck

18. Just to address the "bright" comments. Spector makes several different basses. The old, pre-2006 Legend series was probably the brightest. This was described as "tenacious treble" in Bass Player magazine last year. Well, Spector has addressed that issue with the new 2006 series of Legend basses.

Of course, there are the other Spector series. I've played the Performer, Legend, Q (NS-2000), Rebop DLX, Euro LX and NS-2 basses. They are all different as they should be. I decided to order a Euro LX because I wanted a through-neck design and the dual hum pickups, for less "brightness". Well, okay, another reason is because I don't have enough $$$ to spend on a USA through-neck. Even so, I really like the Euro LX basses. :D

Paul Mac

19. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Remember something, Stuart Spector has been making basses since before Mike Kroeger was messing his pants!

Spectors do cut through the mix very well. Mike Starr is a good example as is Eddie Jackson of Queensryche. Listen to Operation: Mindcrime and Empire and you'll find his tone is wicked!

20. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    +1...... I was just going to say the exact same thing

go for a SPECTOR ,you would not regret it.
    you might actually get addicted and buy more than 1 SPECTOR