spector vs warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass1, Sep 24, 2005.

1. bass1

Dec 11, 2004
    Which is better in your opinion?
    They look so much alike,who's rippin' who?
  2. I concur.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Spector is my personal favorite, but Warwick isn't a bad choice. If I was going to go Warwick, it'd be a Dolphin or a Streamer (MasterMan, Stage 1 or 2). Particularly one of the older Dolphins.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Warwick ripped Spector, no doubt about it. I saw the Spector NS in use a good 5 years before I ever saw a Warwick.
  5. bass1

Dec 11, 2004
  6. In the lower end models, I'd say the spectors have the advantage. The cheaper warwicks I've played just didnt fancy me in the tone department. Now when comparing a Streamer Stage II to a USA Spector, they're about equal as far as build/tone goes. The Warwick necks are far too chunky for me though.
  7. fearlessdane

Aug 29, 2005
    Portland, OR. Los Angeles, CA.
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg, Fender, Ernie Ball
    For me, there is no question, I prefer Warwick basses much more. I own both a Spector NS 5 string and a Warwick Streamer Stage 2 and basically everything about the Warwick feels better. With that said, it should be no trouble in deciding which bass I am gonna do around the world bass slings with.haha
  8. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    i've never found a warwick tone i could get into. spectors are one of my favorites
  9. Spector.I own 2 - a 4 and a 5.Check the "Show your Spectors" thread.Eye candy central!
    Have owned Warwicks as well.I prefer the feel and the sound of Spector.
  10. Jackson E

Jackson E Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2004
    East Nashville, Tn.
    I have a Dolphin Pro I and a Streamer Stage I and I love them both. I have played a bunch of Spectors and didn't like any of them. My advice though, is to play both a Warwick and a Spector. It is always personal opinion. Good luck.
  11. I'm a fan of the spector sound, I dont like the look nor feel of them. Every spector Ive played as bee neck heavy/body too light. So I go with Warwicks all the way, The only Warwick sound i dont like is that of the standard corvette.
  12. Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    From what I've read Warwick licensed the design from spector, and it is the shape they used for the Streamer, at least thats what they did at first, they may have "altered" it at some point to make it slightly different.
  13. Hmmm.. I prefer the Warwick 5 over the NS4, hands down. I know it's not fair to pit a 5'r over a 4, but heck- I even prefer my Stingray 4 over the NS4! I just can't seem to dial a usable tone from it.
  14. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I prefer warwick, better tone and looks, ive played a few spectors and there tone and feel do not compare to the warwicks ive played.
  15. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I own a Standard Corvette 4 fretless and a Spector Euro 4 lx fretted.
    The Spector has a better tone,hands down, but the corvette is a more versatile instrument.
  16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Probably the best answer... apart from DO A SEARCH!!!!
    This topic has been done to death and it usually gets ugly once the hardcore spectorites show up

As for the designs:

Ned Steinberg designed the bass. Therefore it's the NS shape.
    Stuart Spector started using it and eventually trademarked it.
    An upcoming luthier, Hans Peter Wilfer started using a clearly NS-influenced shape.
    Spector sued him for using Ned Steinberg's shape.
    Warwick was forced to pay royalties for each bass and buy the licence.
    Later, Kramer bought Spector. Warwick made the deal with Spector, and not Kramer, so they stopped paying. Kramer accepted that; however, some Spectorites still believe that's a ripoff.
    End of story.
    And for me, Warwick > spector. For you, only you know. Eyeryone has to decide for himself; though it can be easily seen that W has more diversity regarding shapes, body woods, p-up arrangements, etc
    End of argument.
    etherealme and Goatrope like this.
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used to prefer spector but now i prefer warwick, purely for the tone. I dont really like the spector tone anymore, i find it too honky.
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    For the last time people, when you PAY someone to use their design, it's NOT A RIP!!!
    BTW, they're both great basses, but I prefer Warwicks.