1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spiro Weich vs Solo

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Rastus_01, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Hi,

I am familiar with the sound of the weich's on my bass and interested in trying the solo's out.

What is the difference between Spiro Weich and Solo tuned to standard EADG? Are they much the same? I realise there is a tension difference but how much difference is there in sound for both Pizz and Arco?

Brighter or more mellow sound? easier to bow or not? Pizz characteristics? anything else?

Thanks
    Geoff

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    The solos are much darker sounding, IME. They lacked pizz power and punch on my bass.

3. The Solos have less tension on the lower strings (more or less equal tension for all strings) than orchestral sets. You might get a bit more power on the lower strings if you try the S42W 4/4 Weich instead of downtuned 3/4 Solo strings. But the E is a bit weak there too.
    You should make clear if you are talking about 3/4 or 4/4 Spiros, since this makes a difference in tension on the same scale length.

4. Hi,
    To be honest, not sure about 3/4 or 4/4.
    I am getting the impression that you get less power with less tension, that makes sense. Darker sound is appealing.

So 4/4 solo's would be a bit darker than weichs while retaining some pizz sound but with a little less punch?

Arco?

edit: Just checked my spiro's, packaging shows 3/4 3885 Light. So I am comparing to these strings. I just realised these are not the regular weichs, my mistake. I like these strings, just a little bit darker and they would be great.

Thanks for replies
    Geoff

5. Less tension generally makes a darker sound (on the same type of string).
    4/4 Solos have the lowest tension from all Spiros. I would think twice to put this on a 3/4 scale bass.
    I like the 4/4 Weich on my 110cm acoustic double bass, but the 3/4 Weich set on my 105cm Clevinger EUB have more tension that I really like. But there could be a lot of reasons, the Clevinger is a solid body instrument, so no moving top. I played on some other acoustic basses and almost any string I tried felt low tension to me. It really depends on the instrument.

You can simulate by downtuning your current Spiro Weich by a halftone to get the tension on the G for the Solo set (if you use the same string scale like your current set) and about a wholetone for the E. Try if you like that.
    If you are not sure which Spiro Weich set you have, measure the total string length of a string and tell me the length AND the string (G, D, A or E) and I may check that with my 3/4 and 4/4 Spiros.

6. Thanks so much for the feedback, I am getting an understanding of the difference now. Not sure why I wrote 4/4 earlier, I meant solo's in general.

I didn't realise I had the highest tension spiro weich's (3885's), they were a swapped set and I didnt pay attention. So I guess it now means I have room to move towards a slightly darker sound which is what I was hoping for. I guess now I just have to decide whether to go for the S42's or solo.

My bass currently has a dead set of EP's on it, so I can't try the detuning thing yet. I am just doing the research and getting an understanding of the difference between the different gauges before re-stringing or purchasing. You guy's are helping a lot, so Thank You :)

So how are the 3/4 solo's under the bow? I am guessing not as scratchy but maybe a thinner sound?

Cheers,
    Geoff

7. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I love Spiro Solos! They are the darkest and punchiest of the Spiros. You can keep the action a little higher because of the lower tension, and the little extra string height makes for more punch too. They bow very well, not thin sounding at all. Right now I have Spiro Solos on the E&A with EP Weich on the E&G and I'm really liking this combo, but I liked the full Solo set too.

Spiro Weich are more like light Mittels, but the Solos at regular pitch have a different sound and feel of their own

8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    This thread is tempting me to put on Oliv G & D with the Spiro Solos. Maybe even dig out the Gamut G & D if I have them somewhere. Oooohh..... So killin' man.

9. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've also used Spiro Solo E&A and plain gut on top with good results.

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
  11. Thanks, I have seen that and it is a great resourse, but it doesnt describe how they feel, sound, bow etc.

This thread has convinced me to give them a go.

Cheers & Thanks all
    :D

12. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just put the solos on my Upton/Karr dekuxe hybrid (at concert pitch) and the just opened the bass up and really let it sing. Totally different experience for any other Spiro (Starks or Mittels) I have. Really nice match.

Louis

13. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    No, tension is only one factor, and actually, a minor one at that. But since they are the same family, they can be summed up that they will sound like Spiros, feel like Spiros, and the solo set will be more even and a little lighter on the E string than the S42W Weich set.

14. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    There are qualatative differences, but it's tough to say. They're in the same family, but different strings, tough to say exactly how. Love them both for different reasons.

15. Seba

Seba

Oct 4, 2010
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm actually trying to deal with the same issue... My bass tends to tense up so I need light tension but I still want enough punch. A slightly darker sound (solo's) appeals to me but I'm thinking that the E might be too weak.
    Do any of you guys experience tuning/pitch problems with spiro solo's tuned down?
    And could they be paired up with a Mittel E or would there be a big difference in sound and feel? I play pizz as well as arco... My teacher told me that especially for arco it's more difficult to play in tune with solo's tuned down.

16. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, my experience so far is that at first I thought the E was weak, but now I don't - It's warm - if you need to shake the floor these are the wrong strings, but if you want a rich, articulate low register, these are great.

Same with pitch: I actually think I play more in tune with them than with almost any other string I've tried. Notes are focused - and you have to be too.
    Louis

17. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Yes, I had trouble playing double stops in tune.

18. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Eric's a braver man than I am - I only do one note at a time!!

19. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Ha Ha!