1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spirocore 3/4 vs. 4/4 weichs/lights

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Selim, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I have a 3/4 (3885) weich E string that I've used in various combo sets that I really like - it seems to bring some of the benefits of both 4/4 weichs (playability, easier arco response) and 4/4 mittels/mediums (depth).

I'm familiar with 4/4 weichs - a 2 month old set is on my bass now (currently with an old flexocor deluxe G - still looking for a good G string match).

My question is what does a full set of the 3/4 weichs bring to the table in comparison to the 4/4 weichs?

My bass has been described as a large 3/4/small 7/8 bass with a 42" SL.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    The 3/4 light (weich) set is slightly thicker and higher tension when compared to the 4/4 light set. As a result the 3/4 set puts out more sound and you can dig in a little more. The upper strings still feel thin compared to the synthetic-core strings I used previously, but not as thin as the 4/4 light set. Two bassists that I know who use this set are @kscbass and @John Goldsby. Perhaps they can weigh in as well.

- Steve

Kai Sanchez and Dave Reichle like this.
  3. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Discover Double Bass, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    I can't really offer a well-researched opinion here. For years, I used Spirocore Mediums (all red wrapping), then Spiros with a Flexicore G string. Then I switched to Spirocore Weich gauge (with the purple top ends). The bass I use these on seems to sing more and sound more open with the Spiro Weich than with the mediums. I've used the 3/4 size because the string length on that bass is about 41.5", and when I tested the 4/4 size, the E string wound into the metal string wrapping. The 3/4 seems to be the right length . . . I didn't notice much difference in sound (of course, this switch was a long time ago).

My other bass is strung with gut strings. Between the Spiros on one bass and the guts on the other, it's sort of a Ying and Yang thing. I like both.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  4. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    My bass is a German carved 1963 Roth (Juzek-ish) 3/4 body size with 42" scale length. I've been using Spiro Weichs 3/4 since I got the bass in 2012. First I tried Spiro Mediums 4/4 and it choked the top big time, very low volume. Had an old spiro weich 3/4 set around so I put them on this bass and it got louder and still punchy, just perfect for this bass. By curiosity tried the spiro weichs 4/4 and they didn't move as much air as the 3/4's, notes on thumb position didn't sing, just sounded whimpy, plink!
    On my first Carved bass the spiro weichs 4/4 were perfect, and on an overseas gig with a large 7/8 rental bass the Spiro Mediums 4/4 were perfect. So each bass will react differently to the same set of strings. If you like the spirocore sound you have to find the ideal set for your bass and hands.

5. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Explains why so many of us have extra strings out the ying-yang...

lurk, coldtrain and SamuelHarris like this.
  6. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    You should defiantly get a new set of spiro weich 3/4. They really are a mix between the 2. My other suggestion is to build up strength for the mediums, but life isn't that simple.

7. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    The 3/4 lights should have less tension than the 4/4 mediums on the same bass. That's certainly been my experience and it's consistent with what what I've read here. I've heard other people talk about strings "loosening up" over time, but I've never experienced it and I actually attribute it to people getting used to new strings over time. There's also the matter of "perceived tension" that has been discussed on other threads. Perhaps the thinner diameter on a string that has more tension than the 4/4 lights makes them seem tighter than the 4/4 mediums which are thicker.

- Steve

geoffbassist and Dave Reichle like this.
  8. Pirastro Jazzers?

9. I, personally, do not know from experience. @TroyK would be the one to ask, perhaps?

10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'll say "yes*".

Sweichs bow quite nice on my bass. I took some classicial lessons some years back and the teacher liked how the arco with them on my bass better than Evah Pirazzis on her's. Smittels choke my bass down pizz and are pretty torturous arco, but I've heard people play Smittle strung basses quite will with a bow. So, mostly what that tells me is that they don't work well on my bass with my set up.

Jazzers work quite well on my bass, especially the E and A strings. To me, they have the gauge of Smittles and the suppleness of Sweichs. They don't sound exactly like either, but they have their own good qualities, that work quite well for me for most things. Arco, I'm well aware that I'm not bowing Flexocores, but if I pay attention, it works. Practice, bowing jazz heads or scales/arpeggios at home, they're perfectly fine. If I was performing with a bow, they might not be my choice, whereas, I might get by fine with Sweichs, but again, I think that is more me and my bass than the strings.

Pablo Aslan (who's music I love, by the way) features arco prominently on his album Buenos Aires Tango Standards and there is an afterlengths photo in his CD media that suggests that he may have been using Jazzers on that album, but then again, that may or may not mean anything. He is an NYC guy and responded really quickly to an email that I sent through his site once, might be worth a note to him.

Dave Reichle likes this.
  11. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    The arco sound will break in. Strangely my prediction they will be easier to bow than the 4/4 mediums, but harder than the 4/4 weich.

Dave Reichle likes this.
  12. 16fuss

16fuss Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2005
    There ist an .exel somewhere on talkbass. You put your stringlength in and it calculates the resulting Tension for every String you know.

There are some surprises about Spirocore...

13. 16fuss

16fuss Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Dave Reichle likes this.
  14. Only for strings where the manufacturers published tension data and related string scale length.

15. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    16fuss, will this do.accound for tension of the string for different scale length?

16. Enter the scale length at the top right and the tension will be calculated for that scale length.

I know that file since I made it ...

krfoss likes this.
  17. 16fuss

16fuss Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2005
    DoubleMidi is the Hero who did this amazing work!!!

I just got the sheet from him. It was reales helpfull for me, so i shared. @DoubleMIDI ich hoffe das ist ok.

18. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Ahh. I just poked around on this and figured it all out. Thanks! Very helpful. Found out my current E and A are around 18 and 17 on my bass (they are the A and D downtuned by a 5th), but I really like them. No wonder I didnt like my prevoius E when they were at 32.5 (Helicore Hybrid Medium E)!

19. It's for everyone. The whole Dropbox-Talkbass folder:
    Dropbox - Talkbass

16fuss likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021