Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Split signal, 1 wet, 1 dry, & blend?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by psi, Jul 22, 2005.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Basically, I'm looking to split the signal from the effects send on my amp head into, say, line A and line B; then put all the effects on line A; keep line B clean; and then blend A and B together before going back into the effects return.

So, I'm looking for two items basically: a splitter and a mixer. For the splitter, can I just use a Y-cable? And for the mixer, I'd like to have a way to control the levels for the 2 signals.

Suggestions & advice appreciated

Thanks!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A Boss LS-2 might be a better idea in this case, so you can precisely control each volume.
    [​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure there are rack units that could do the same.
    Sound Sculpture's Headtrip comes to mind but it's a rather expensive solution.

3. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

No. The minimixer is meant to mix line and mic levels.

5. for bass you generally only want to effect the higher frequencys while keeping the low frequencys clean. Hence, what I would do in your situation is not just a straight split, but a low frequency filter split, then a blend.

Fortunately for us all, a legendary guy who goes by the name moosapotamus has done all the hard work for us. Check out the fabulous Bass Paralooper!

6. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I sent the guy an email.. just waiting for a response. Does he sell these things?

7. he might do, but it's not advertised so it's at his discretion. He does however publish his PCB layouts. I can send you a vero board (strip board) layout too if you want it.

Know any soldering iron savvy buddys who might do it up for a case of beer!?

8. I have rolls mini mixer. A mx28 in fact and it works nicely. I have a stereo blend. I have stereo outs from my bass. I run one into a MXR M80 and the other through the effects chain. They meet up at the Rolls mixer... hit the loopstation and off to the amp. I use a volume pedal to blend the wet into the dry. The rolls has overall volume control, pan and line level controls. Pretty cheap too!

9. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey

This this would work?

10. I just received my stereo bass so all of the wires are up and not in place yet... but the mixer is at the top left hand side. I split my signal at the bass and that's all you would have to deal with besides the mixer:

[​IMG]

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Clean that board up or the pedal police will come round :p ;) :D

12. Please don't take me! I've got fiiive kids! :smug:

I'm still moving things around for an optimum fit. Then those cables and wires are history.... hopefully!

13. I'm in the process of making one myself. I got sick of having a sissy sounding, bass-less big muff! I've done the PCB layout on stripboard and populated it, I'm just waiting to get some more $$ so I can buy the enclosure and some cool paint :) I haven't been able to test the board yet, but as soon as i get the enclosure I will. I'll probably make a thread in effects when I'm done with some photos and everything.

14. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Man I wouldn't even know where to begin with that crap. Any resources for learning to work with PCB would be appreciated

15. One of the most usual sites I've come across is www.diystompboxes.com . There is a forum there with loads of information on just about everything from using soldering irons, etc, to painting a finished enclosure. There a heaps of threads relating to specific projects/schematics/effects units.

It's more of a guitar oriented site, but the principles are all the same and there are plenty of bass players there too.

I got most of my soldering/electronics skill (which isn't much, but I can do the basics) from my Dad. He's pretty good with all that stuff. Just about all the other knowledge required for making something like the paralooper came from reading threads/articles.

16. yup, that's my regular haunt, it's a great resource. I'm an electronics engineer, so I can help you out a bit as you find your way.

Hey Disco_Gee, nice home town dude!

17. Nikk Axx

Nikk Axx

Jan 20, 2006
    Here's what I do...hope it helps.
    I run my bass into a x over and split the signal, I send the highs to one channel on the board and the lows to another. That way I can compress or effect both separatley and the front of house guy can push the highs or lows if need be.

18. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    That's a quite interesting setup.

I might be slow or something, but how did you get the stereo outs from your bass? :eek:

I mean, do you have two outputs on your bass then !? :rolleyes: :help:

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've modified them in the past for stereo outputs. Nothing too difficult.