1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Splitting the money questions (multi band show)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ender_rpm, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Ok, so this weekend we are playing on a 3 band bill at a local place that has always done right by us. The bar is offering $100 plus 10% of the bar take, no cover, for all the bands to split.

Ok, so normally we'd just split it 3 ways and call it a day, however...

We were originally supposed to be playing in support of a touring band that disintegrated about 3 weeks ago. Club also never booked an opener. So my band started scrambling, posted ads, sent "cold call" emails/FB messages, etc to fill the bill. We came up with a good bill, IMO, and both the bands and the bar should do well. I also designed and published the posters/web banners for all the bands to use.

My question is: Since we did so much promotion work, are we justified in taking a small cut, say 10%, off the total pay, and then splitting the rest 3 ways? Thoughts?

2. $100 split 3 ways ($33.33 for each band)? How many band mates do they (and you) have to spilt the $33.33 with?

3. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Its $100 guaranteed, plus 10% of the bar. Last time we played there on a weekend we had ~$180 to split 3 ways, and that was off the $8 cover only. We have had mostly Thursday shows the last few months, and our people are mostly older types who really enjoy the "imported and micros" format of this venue.

In other words, I expect to do fairly well overall :)

And yes, I get that its small money. But this pattern is popping up at other places we are playing, where they ask us to help fill the bill, etc. So really in a larger sense, where does our compensation for being "one of the bands" end and our compensation for time spent finding other bands, etc begin?

4. The Davil

The Davil

Aug 13, 2009
    Phoenix
    Only if you were up front about it with the other bands when you discussed compensation with them.

5. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    yeah, that conversation has yet to occur, wanted to nail the ethics down first.

6. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    Hmm. You are in the same spot we are. Good enough to get a good pay day, but many know you as the band that willing to "fill out the bill".

7. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    That does seem to be the pattern that's developing. And I'm fine with that overall, but this last couple weeks have been... busy? Not quite stressful, but lots of emails and such. Even my wife asked what was going on, as I was glued to my phone/email more than usual.

Upside is we not only filled this weekend but also opening slots on November and December shows, and made some good contacts in other areas as well. So we shall see.

8. blackest_frank

blackest_frank

Feb 1, 2013
    I see no problem with taking another 10% or so for doing the booking agent's job.
    Everywhere I play, the soundman makes $100 a night. If I were asked to run sound (as well as playing with my band), I better get that hundred bucks on top of what my band got. No different.

9. Oh okay. FWIW: I wouldn't fight over pocket change - I'd stick with the original agreement and split the take evenly.

10. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    There isn't an agreement in place as of yet. The idea has been floated to start charging a fee to the clubs based off how many other bands we are asked to bring. I don't need to get paid to play music, but not getting any support beyond" Ok, here is a night we have a stage open, fill it and promote it" is a bad pattern, IMO.

11. blackest_frank

blackest_frank

Feb 1, 2013
    At that point, you become a promoter. And those people get paid.

12. Agreed. That and don't look at it like you did all the work. Consider the other bands too...they had to scramble to get their stuff ready, maybe take some time off work, change some plans around, all that. Also consider that they could have said no and you'd still be scrambling. I'm just saying, yeah its stressful to have to do this last second, but its a lot for all parties involved!

13. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I'm not sure I agree with your premise, but I appreciate this POV. Thanks.

14. OP: If you want more money, get it from the bar - don't take it from the other bands.

15. blackest_frank

blackest_frank

Feb 1, 2013
    No...OP did do all the work. If OP calling them to fill a bill caused them to have to *gasp* load in and play a paying gig, that's fine. At least all they had to do was answer the phone.
    OP did booking, promoting, PR, and graphic design. Damn right ut was harder for him and he deserves to get more money.

Can you tell I'm in the same boat a lot of the time? lol

16. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    This has been discussed between my singer and I as we were doing all of this. Obviously, its a catch 22- we've been invited back as a band that:
    A. Draws and makes the register ring
    B. Is professional and easy to work with on the day
    C. Can help with the networking aspect of things

One place we know would balk at this, the manager/booking guy is extremely tight fisted, its a new club, etc. Not sure how the other places would take it, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of bands, just of bands that fill those other criteria. Do we run the risk of pricing ourselves out of the clubs we have built this relationship with?

Keeping firmly in mind that we are a bunch of older guys out for fun and glory, not "trying to make it" etc. Solid local band with a decent draw is our goal here :)

17. Bands should do all they can - but it's the bars job to get them there and the bands job to keep them there - if you want more money don't take it from the bands - get it from the bar.

Please don't support a race to the bottom - and instead help bring the pay scale back up again. Thanks

18. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Right, this is the crux.

19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You offered to do the work and now you want to get paid for it? Not cool in my books. Unless you were actually out money putting up posters and such, I would say no you are not entitled to more pay.

Now if you had called the replacement band and just said, will you do it for $50 and pocket the difference, while shady is not nearly as offensive, since they agreed to take the $50.

20. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    +1