1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squaier Affinity J Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GladToBeBack, May 25, 2011.

1. GladToBeBack

GladToBeBack

Mar 21, 2011
    So, first let me say that it's been a little while since I posted here only because I forgot my password. But we're good now, as you can see.

I currently play a Yamaha RBX 264, nothing special. Entry level 4 string with passive P pickups. It has been a great starter for me. I play it everyday, practice with my band with it twice a week, and just played gig with it on Sunday, it's holding up just fine.

I like the bright sound of the J bass better and it's more fitting to the kind of music my band plays (Contemporary Rock/ Alternative). I recently found someone selling a Squier Affinity J Bass for $200, I was planning on offering $150. Ultimately I'm going after a Fender Aerodyne J but it's slightly out of my price range right now.

My question is, it worth getting this bass if I can get the buyer down to $150? Or am I just in the early stages of GAS and getting to impatient to get the bass I want? I ask because I have no experience with the Squier Affinity basses.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Squier Affinty J costs $200 new.
    GC has used ones for $100 all the time.

3. mine is a affinty one and i love it to bits.

4. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    You can get a used MIM Fender Jazz for around $250.00 wich in my opinion would beat the sox off of an Affinity series..... I think $200.00 for a used Affinity is a little steep....

5. kaiuk

kaiuk

Mar 3, 2011
    Squaier is perhaps the best way ive ever seen anyone spell it

6. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    That's probably a typo since he spelled it fine on the post. You're not a perfect speller yourself.
    Hint: bold ;)

7. Lazerrus

Lazerrus

Dec 18, 2010
    LOL +1

8. GladToBeBack

GladToBeBack

Mar 21, 2011
    lol @ my typo, i was in a bit of hurry when i typed this. I got him to come down to $175 and it comes with the 15 Watt Fender Rumbler, strap, tuner, cord, etc.

thanks for the input

9. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    I'd say that he got you to come up to $175 rather then you got him to come down to $175. But with that Rumble thrown in It might be a fine deal. Not a very good deal, just an OK deal.
    BTW did you check the used section at GC. They probably have the Rumble as well or even a louder amp at that price.

10. GladToBeBack

GladToBeBack

Mar 21, 2011
    I looked online and found the same bundle I'm getting selling for $235, i'm comfortable with the deal.

The amp is the least of my worries, I already have a practice amp and a gigging amp. I'll probably just pawn it.

I guess the point I was getting at is, how does this SQUIER compare to my Yamaha? Does it sound like a step in right direction or am I just getting a bass for the sake of getting a bass?

11. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Will you be able to pawn it for $75? Of course not. So why buy it when you can get a used Affinity for $100 at GC?
    This isn't leading us anywhere. Seems like I'm on your side helping you to a better deal, and you are firmly at the sellers side.

12. GladToBeBack

GladToBeBack

Mar 21, 2011
    hmmm... good point. Didn't look at it that way.

13. CanadianFunk

CanadianFunk

May 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I happen to have a squier affinity J and they're not too bad, but I got mine new with the whole package for 260$ tax included. Probably a little less then that in america since canadian tax is 15%, but you get the point.
    I'd say it's an alright deal, if it's in good shape

14. I came into the thread to say exactly that :D!

15. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    One of the great things about the Squier Affinities is that there are a ton of them everywhere. I went out and played 3 or 4 of the exact same Squier P about one year ago and they were much different in terms of sound and playability between instruments. I picked the one that was actually better sounding and playing than the american standards on the shelf.

My advise is go to a local guitar centre (there are many scattered around Detroit), play as many as you can and buy the one that sounds best to you. $175 for a used instrument with a crappy amp and a cable just runs too many risks for me to outweigh the $50 or so worth of savings. That bass could have any number of imperfections (warped neck, dents, pot problems) that you could weed out in buying a new instrument.

16. GladToBeBack

GladToBeBack

Mar 21, 2011
    thansk for all the input. it was really an impulse idea, TB's members have helped me stay smarter and keep from jumpin into a mistake.

And I had no intention of buying it without playing it first. I still might, but I've also seen this Deluxe Jazz Bass thats selling for $225 cause its blemished, I'm going to check that one out too.

17. I certainly enjoy my 5 string Affinity J.
    Got it at GC for 115 bux.

18. GladToBeBack

GladToBeBack

Mar 21, 2011
    also found a Squier Standard J for $140... so I told the guy never mind. weighing out options now. Thanks again for all the input.

19. +1

My SA J is a fantastic bang for the buck. The pickups are getting changed eventually but the stock ones aren't bad at all. Solidly built, still feels like it did day 1 after 8 months of owning it.

20. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    And they are worth very nearly every dollar of that $100.