Squier 5 string Pbass pu recommendation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by milesdavisblue, Nov 19, 2017.

1. milesdavisblue

milesdavisblue Supporting Member

May 4, 2007
    Washington State
    I would like to replace pickups in an Squier 5 string precision. Please give me recommendations for direct replacements. I would like something similar to EMG geezers but not finding 5 string Geezers. I would like to stay with passive but might be willing to go active. any advice?

2. Do Fender sell their 5 string P pickup as an aftermarket item?

Aqualung60 likes this.
  3. milesdavisblue

May 4, 2007
    Washington State
    I'll have to check on that, might be good advice.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  4. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I put American Standard P5 pickups in the VMP5 I had . I had to file a little off one side of the pickguard to make one side fit but it is pretty much a direct replacement . Others in the thread for the Vintage Modified P Bass 5 had no problems like mine . The Fender pickups didn't make a real big difference in the tone , the originals sounded pretty good to me too . I sold mine but here is a pic with the Fender pickups . Some people had good luck with Nordstrands too .
    Here is a link to the pickups Bass Parts Resource: Genuine Fender P Bass Pickups S7300689.JPG

Aqualung60 and Mastermold like this.
  5. Hands down choice and I've tried a bunch-The Wilde P-46. Finally got my hands on a bass with these already installed , a parts build pj with the Wildes and a Warmoth Unlined Maple Fretless neck and can't put it down.

Bill Lawrence's ingenious design uses 5 pole pieces on each half of the split p and 9 equal spaced pole pieces on the jazz pickup . This allows the same models to be used on 4, 5 and narrow spaced 6 strings .

Mine is passive and played back to back with my ESP Fretless pj with active EMGs I detected nothing lacking in output at the same amp settings . Would love to hear these with John East pre , but passive=perfect.

I can't stop playing or talking with buddys about how much I love these . The hype is not hype and the price is right .

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    MDBass and Pops OB like this.
  6. It's a little problematic in that some builders are using P-style pickups where the 2 shells are the same size, and then some like this bass use a '3+2' shape. And the aftermarket pickup builders are choosing sides, so not everybody makes both styles.

Nordstrand makes this style, and I recently ran across this from the Seymour Custom Shop, and it's interesting they will wind them to several different outputs, from QuarterPounder to Antiquity:

5 String P-Bass

. . . . and Seymour offers companion 5-string J's, should that be a consideration for later additions.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Sonically it would work, but would OP then have to consider making new screw holes and adding a custom pickguard? While I'm sure it accomadtes a 5 string P, it doesn't exactly seem like a direct drop in.

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I added the same pickup to two VM P5's and it was hassle free. They can also be had here:
    Fender American Standard P-Bass V '08 Pickup 0075593049

9. My extent of 5 string knowledge is that the 5th string makes a good thumb rest. I do have one bass tuned BEAD though because the strings on it when I bought it were so big . (.125 E) Tried it and left it that way for something different.

10. DevinWard369

DevinWard369

Apr 30, 2012
    Utah
    I would get the M&V atlas 5 string p's.
    I love mine in my 4. And alllll of my basses are active and these passive p's sit right with them in volume and clarity.
    IMG_2391.JPG IMG_2422.JPG

Crowd crusher likes this.
  11. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    I'm actually keeping the original pickup / capacitor that came with my Squier VMP5, as I love the tone coming from it now. Mine has 500k pots, and while the tone pot doesn't work, I will replace the pot but re-use the current capacitor. I may put in a multi-cap switch to change it up, but will re-use the original cap as one of the choices.

I had replaced the wiring harness with a high quality 250k pot / .047mf cap harness, but it was too dark with the stock pickup in my VMP5, so I put the original harness back in.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  12. I've literally just been wondering today if they madea P pickup with stingray-style Xboxhuge polepieces. No idea why, I've never really dug a P enough to keep it.

DevinWard369 likes this.
  13. I really like my aguilar 5p-60 pickups in my Lakland.

Careful of the Bill Lawrence. The pole pieces might overlap on your A string and make it impossible to get an even sound.

14. Johny Blade

Johny Blade

Jan 13, 2016
    I have used both Nordstrand NP5F and Seymour Duncan SPB-3 on my Squier Fender VM P5. Both kick-ass pickups and awesome upgrades!!!
    The Nordstrand is a high quality classic P pickup. Its the one I'm currently using and recording my band's new album.
    The SPB-3 is a more modern approach, high output, bass and tremble boosted and mid scooped. You can still get the more classic P bass sound if you boost the mids and cut some bass + tremble from your amp. I'd love to have a 2nd P so I could install the SPB-3 on it.

15. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    My suggestion is keep the stock pup but try different string .

Joedog likes this.
  16. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    Aguilar's Hot P is a fantastic pickup, I love it!

17. I'm currently modifying my American Standard Jazz V to drop one of these in. Your running the aguilar PJ setup? Or is it just the 60's P? I dunno if I want the HC Jazz bridge or the 60's Jazz bridge.

18. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I'm happy with the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder I put in mine!

Zoobiedood likes this.
  19. milesdavisblue

May 4, 2007
    Washington State
    Thanks all! I knew this would be a tough choice.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021