1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Classic Vibe Club (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've been circulating this report on the newest Classic Vibe offerings across all relevant threads…

Just last weekend, I picked up a brand-new Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jazz, one of the new generations built in their Indonesia factory. In a word…fantastic! :thumbsup: Specifically, I grabbed one in a natural finish with a bound & blocked maple neck. Here's the iron-sights…
    1. The fit and finish is great. I tried slipping a single post-it note into the neck pocket. On one side, it only made it halfway in and on the other, it couldn't even gain entry.
    2. The frets are pretty good. They could use a microscopic waving of a file on a few of the ends, but it doesn't interfere with playing. Call it 9 out of 10. Interesting thing about these new CV's, the binding does not cover the fret ends. Personally, I have no beef with that, I'm just reporting.
    3. The body's grain is very nice. From the front, it almost appears to be a single piece of soft maple. Looking at the back, it's definitely a two-piece body, but the matching was still nicely done. The neck is also a two-piece. The back has an interesting grain, but the fretboard has this amazingly beautiful-but-subtle quilted look. The finish has a slightly amber, vintage tint.
    4. Sonically, it's super-sweet. Deep lows, but with the growl you expect from Jazz pickups. Plus, it's quiet as all hell when both pups are dialed up to 100%.
    I could see FMIC making damn sure the rollout of their newest Classic Vibes are held to very high quality control standards. If that is the case, I hope they maintain it for years to come, 'cuz this one's a beauty.
    …and some pictures I snapped earlier today! :snaphappy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's kinda hard to make out, both due to the lighting and the slight amber tint to the finish, but this model's Squier logo has a gold border.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. What a beauty... Ordered one that arrived with an horrible finish. The sound was great but couldn't accept finish defects being a new one. Frets are under the binding only on MIM and MIA 70s reissues "like they did back in time". I had a Fender FSR 70s Jazz from 2017. The binding over the frets add an extra thickness and it is very unpleasant in the end.

EdBo likes this.
  3. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Anyone have the specs of the older MIC CV 60s Jazz?

I just saw one pop up used online (Olympic white w/ tort, still has the CV sticker on it) for $250 w/ a hard case and snatched it up before even thinking about it...

I know the new ones have poplar bodies but I was certain the older CVs were alder. I could be confusing them with the Strats.

EdBo, Malak the Mad and 4sight like this.
  4. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

They're basswood. Brilliant basses, you got a good deal there.

I know basswood is supposed to be light and prone to stripping screws, but the finish is super thick, so don't be worried about dings too much. Not light though, expect 9.5-10lb - pretty standard for a Jazz in my book, but others disagree.

EdBo and J0hn like this.
  5. brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Yeah I have a basswood bass body that I have to ditch because I can't get a bridge to stay put. Guess it's my fault for having swapped it out so many times but still a little disappointing. Weight was never an issue but soon after swapping the pickguard enough times it couldn't hold any screws in place.

I won't have the need to mod this one I guess though. Not even sure I'm going to hold onto it- I may just resell.

EdBo likes this.
  6. Basswood isn't that light, all my basswood basses have been heavy. But you're right about stripping screws, and I'll add the fact that they "ding" really easily. I crushed the wood with the force of my finger.... no lies haha! I was disappointed to damage my lovely 60s Olympic Jazz!

EdBo and J0hn like this.
  7. brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Well I may be one of the few people, if any, who actually prefers a heavier instrument. My days of playing live (at least while standing) are over.

Pretty excited for this bass though. I've been missing my jazz since I sold off my player & american pro. Haven't tried a CV jazz yet but the 2009 MIC CV p bass I had was REALLY impressive.

EdBo likes this.
  8. Malak the Mad

Congrats on a great find. A fairly well used first generation CV Jazz usually goes for $250 or more before shipping is factored in. To get what sounds like a new/old stock unit with a case for that lower-end price is a steal! :thumbsup:
    Do enough swapping and installing and that'll happen to any wood...'cuz "wood". 'Tis the nature of the beast. ;) I've done three pickup swaps to one of my swamp ash basses over the years and I'm pretty sure I'll have to do a fill & re-drill in preparation for the next time.

EdBo and J0hn like this.
  9. brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    True true. It's happened to the pickguard holes on my alder instruments as well.

But yea, thanks! I sit at work refreshing a certain major retailers used inventory with the search filter "classic vibe bass" until one pops up. Been looking for this one for a few months now.

EdBo and Malak the Mad like this.
  10. Malak the Mad

I figured I should mention this here. I'm going forward with what I had in mind for this beastie. I'm keeping the neck for one of my parts-bass projekts and selling the body through the classifieds.
    It wasn't an easy decision, given the level of quality it demonstrated, but I'd rather pass it on to anyone interested rather than dither over it for months while it just sits there.

11. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    I’m gonna put a high mass bridge and some cs60s pups in my player jazz bass, so I’ll have the stock pickups and bridge leftover... instead of letting such good parts sit there and go to waste, perhaps I’ll get a nice Classic vibe jazz bass for a good price, and pop some of my leftover player series parts on.

It would be as a backup bass. My main obviously being the player series J.

I can’t decide between 60s or 70s. On one hand, the 60s has a rosewood board, which I like cos I already have a maple board j. On the other hand, the 70s has the 70s pickup placement, which is also something I don’t have that would be cool and different. I would string it with EB slinky cobalt flatwounds.

Which would you pick and why... CV60s or CV70s?

EdBo likes this.
  12. brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    My MIC olympic white 60s jazz is coming in tomorrow. Pretty excited about this one. Pics to come.

Anyone know the production years for this particular bass?

13. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    My Olympic white classic vibe 60’s P bass comes tomorrow.
    I got new Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, ashtray covers, and Players Series loaded pau ferro fretboard/maple neck waiting for it! I’m using the tuners off the Player Series.

-ScottM

14. Malak the Mad

If I remember correctly, the Classic Vibe series started in either 2008 or 2009.

Yahboy and EdBo like this.
  15. Production started in 2006, and lasted until 2014. They did a Olympic White model, then later on a Inca Silver, and there also was a Single Run (Special Run) of a Candy Apple Red one ;)

brushfirewolf and EdBo like this.
  16. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    i
    First Squier CV series launch on 2008.

17. My bad, you're right 2008 - 2014 it is!!

18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
  19. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have to correct your info once again.
    The last CV are 2018. Because I bought and return the CV70P in black couple weeks ago which has stamped factory year 18.

20. brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I meant just the ones they were made in China. Weren’t those black 70s p basses made in Indonesia?