1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Classic Vibe Club (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Did the EMG Soapbar install on my 2nd Squier Cabronita. It's a 35JX-CS(a Ceramic & Steel J in a SoapBar Housing w/ the Vintage Sounding PreAmp). I also modded the bridge and body, adding ferules to make it string through. It's another Grind Machine ! :bassist:
    Cabby15. Cabby16. Cabby17.

Rallypoint_1 and raphaeld like this.
  2. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    I always had low volume (unbalanced) D string on my CV 50 single coil. Tried raising the treble side of pu only to sound off balance. Lowered the bass side...off balance. I didn’t want to get a new pup yet so i looked up some info. On this thread I found that Yahboy raised 2 of his pole pieces on his single coil.

I pm’d him and he gave me good advice...again. Thanks!! I didn’t want to remove the pup to lightly “smack” the pole piece out. So...I used a different method. I am sure others know and this is t gospel but maybe it might help someone in the same boat.

I am sorry that I didn’t take any pics of the procedure but I will try to recreate the method.

Obviously remove the pup from the body. Remove spongy pad under the pu. Pull the pu out some but don’t de-solder it.

Get a small screw and cut some of the thread off. Next, find a washer with a hole bigger than the pole piece.
    8CADE43A-7FC9-401F-A56D-9A6216665919.

Next a pair pliers that can open wider than the pu. Place pup in the jaws of the plier. Put the small screw under the pole piece you wish to raise and the washer on top.
    0C224063-0E02-454F-B123-D5F4E4A1257B.

Align and then slowly squeeze until the pole comes free. It should pop out a bit. Once free, you can use a screw driver or nail to push it further up if needed.

Place the pu back in the body and try it out. Raise or lower to liking. Once you find the height, remove again and put some ca glue on the bottom to hold the piece in. It should stay if you don’t with the wax already inside but if not then glue.

The result for me was amazing! All the strings are balanced! I have the pu at 3.1mm from bottom of strings to op of pu. The D is 1.25mm higher than the rest. Just enough to balance everything.

FDD7D0D8-3CAD-473D-9B78-F2465D9648DF.

Sorry if I was winded but I wanted to explain the mod. Hope this helps. Thanks again to Yahboy!!

Yahboy, EdO. and EdBo like this.
  3. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Excellent work and a very good explanation of what/how you did it. :thumbsup:

Rallypoint_1 likes this.
  4. Rallypoint_1

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    Thank you!! I was hoping it made sense.LOL Means a lot you being an excellent bass upgrader!

5. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    What is you guys opinion? I will compare these two out either tommorow hopefully or sometime next week!
    I love the vintage style of the squiers. I tried a CV70s (I admit, only for a few minutes) and no issues I noticed.
    The player is more modern, but they still look nice.
    There is a smaller price gap, between the vintage style squier and the modern (a little bland-ish) fender... this should be interesting battle. I think the CV should give the player a run for it's money for SURE!

Squier Classic vibe 60s or 70s jazz bass:
    $630 AUD
    Vintage styling (SUPER cool!)
    Made in Indonesia (like the VM)
    poplar body - maple or indian laurel fretboardd
    alnico pickups (fender designed)
    nickel hardware
    bone nut
    narrow tall frets

OR

Fender Player series Jazz bass
    $950 AUD
    Modern style (technically still traditional 60s design, but in a modern take)
    Made in Mexico
    alder body - maple or pau ferro fretboard
    alnico V pickups
    nickel/chrome hardware
    synthetic nut
    medium jumbo frets

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:
    VERDICTS SHOULD BE IN WITHIN THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS... STAY TUNED, FOLKS!!
    :thumbsup:

6. Rallypoint_1

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    Does a Squier CV 60’s (previous series) Jazz in sunburst exist?? I want a jazz bass in burst but was looking for a older Squier CV.

7. No there's not

8. Rallypoint_1

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    Ah ok. Looks like I will try for an older MIM with a rosewood fretboard. That pau ferro/Indian laurel just does not do it for me.

Thank you for the info!!

9. Rallypoint_1

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    I saw this pic. Is this fake? Classic Vibes decal photoshopped onto the bass?

91727CA1-89DE-4BA7-B7E8-060131DD5728.

10. I don't know but the bridge is an old classic vibe one. It looks like a swapped pickguard

Rallypoint_1 likes this.
  11. Brandon Stroud

Brandon Stroud

Sep 10, 2018
    How do the 2019 classic vibes compare to the new contemporary jazz in terms of build quality? If anyone has both

12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I only seem mic CV jazz in Oly white, Inca silver, Fiesta red and black .

Rallypoint_1 and EdBo like this.
  13. Rallypoint_1

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    Thats what’s weird about it. I thought maybe they had that color.

Yes the bridge is a match. Maybe a vintage modified with a CV bridge. So strange

EdBo likes this.
  14. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Here is my personal experience share in term of build quality and playable on both 2012 Squier CV60P and 2018 Fender Player P.

- Both has comfort modern C shape neck, but the Player P are thicker on 1st fret to 4th fret but not too much.

- The player P are about 8.3lbs vs 9lbs CV60P and the no neck dive problem on lightweight Player P.

- Both bass has great finish and paint job. Both neck pocket are tight without gap and well align to pickup and bridge.

- Both stock tuning machine are stunning, keep in tune well.

- Both neck are stable even some temperature/humid change (in different between 10 degrees celsius ).

So, what's the different I found on both bass are......

- Player P has sharp fret end. No such poor fret work on CV60P.

- The CV60P has smoother and rounder fretboard edge compare to sharp angle fretboard edge on Player P. Even the Squier CV50P and MF SIG P has maple fretboard, but they still has no such issue like Player P.

Both issue could bring an uncomfortable playing feel on fretting hand.

My conclusion is .....

The old 2012 china make CV60P build quality still slightly better than new 2018 Fender Player P.

YAP_4262.JPG

I decide to sell the nice grain sunburst Player P( this is my second Player, the earlier butter cream player P has bad dead spot on E string ) , and will keep my eyes on new 2019 Indonesia Daphne Blue CV60J.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    scottm, blmeier7, EdBo and 5 others like this.
  15. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    YAP_4931_1556511479348.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  16. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    YAP_4948 copyup.

17. Squier couldn't do the same basses again... they were so perfect in every spot.

18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    There are new 2019 CV around, but Indonesia made with different colour.
    To me, the new CV just re-label VM line.
    And the current VM line actually slowly get replace by new Classic Vibe which same price tag.

My2cent

Shawn Luckman likes this.
  19. A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

Feb 18, 2013
    Do any of you happen to have a P bass ashtray from a CV that you'd be willing to part with? Apparently they're slightly bigger than standard Fender ashtrays in order to fit over a high-mass bridge, and I've been scouring the net with no luck.

20. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    If you recall the earlier Sonic blue CV60P , that's the wider bridge cover come along with the bass. Absent on Fiesta red but come back on CV70P with hi mass bridge. The last batch CV70P using normal fender bend bridge which you also could found on special edition seafoam green CV70P.

I been put the wider bridge cover on my Fiesta red CV60P before I swap with fender vintage threatsaddle bridge. Bought from Ebay, badly I forget the part number.

InstantEctobass likes this.