1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Contemporary Active Jazz Bass HH with roasted maple necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tvrtko, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Recently I spot couple of those in special color version. What is interesting, they managed to get Roasted Maple neck.
    Did anyone try these?
    They are getting in Sire territory with much lower price...
    upload_2020-8-1_20-26-25.png

deesonic likes this.
  2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    String alignment are off.......

3. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    OK. Anything else? How about sound?

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I only have experience on the non-roasted neck version. One word, Yamaha trbx 304 sound much better ,lighter and smoother neck than this weird Squier.

5. athfngl

athfngl

Mar 29, 2020
    Kansas City
    I bought one through Sweetwater a couple months ago, a 5-string with the matte burgundy finish. I returned it within a week. Your mileage may vary.

The good parts:
    • I was able to find one just a hair under 9 pounds, which was amazing. The rest in stock were pretty heavy.
    • I loved the finish - well, the color. More on the finish in a moment.
    • The roasted maple neck played like a dream - velvety smooth. One of the only redeeming qualities.
    • It actually sounded good!
    The bad parts:
    • The tuners were incredibly stiff; two didn't even get greased. I started to strip the gear on one of them when restringing it, the metal was terribly soft.
    • The finish had a fair bit of debris in it - little embedded specs of dirt and whatnot. And it is a very soft/thin finish. I chipped the paint while restringing it, and the ball end barely hit the paint.
    • Bad fretwork in a couple spots causing obnoxious fret buzz, which I'm amazed Sweetwater didn't pick up.
    • Lacking active/passive switching. There's no cut, it's all boost.
    • The nut was unevenly cut, so I had some issues with string adjustment there.
    There were some other tiny complaints I had, but not worth noting. Personal preference stuff. Anyway, I returned it after a week, and I picked up a Yamaha TRBX505. For the same price, the TRBX blows the Squier out of the water. Fantastic build quality, more versatile sound, the neck plays just as nice... I would recommend it a thousand times over. If you have any particular questions, let me know.

Tvrtko likes this.