1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Jaguar Short Scale Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Aug 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Sorry! My mistake.

2. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    Went to the tattoo shop today and had my JSSC number done on my forehead in reverse. Had it put up high so my hat covers it (don't want anyone thinking I'm weird). I also scratched it into front of my bass so they know I'm the real deal.

OtherLisa and RoadRanger like this.
  3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I was a TOTAL IDIOT to sell my Jag SS a few years ago. Bought it for $80 and it was cherry! So stupid. Why do we do these things??

Anyway - our BL has one to diddle with that he bought at the same time he bought his Jag guitar, and I use it at rehearsals at his place. I just love love love the neck. I decided to get another one, and contact my friend that is a Fender dealer, only to find that they were (stupidly) discontinued!!

SO - I put a "Wanted" ad in CL, and after a month or so, got a bite, and it was nearby! At first he wanted $200 but when I saw it, I got him down nearly half. It is about 8 years old, quite used, and beat up, and someone took a paintbrush and marker to it, but I didn't care. The neck is perfect - not even any fret wear and the lowest action I have ever seen, and someone over the years mounted a nice Gotoh bridge. I did a half-day cleanup on it and added my usual mute switch. Got a new pickguard from eBay yesterday, and have a noiseless bridge pickup on order. When I get it I will change the pots to a V and a Blend.

The best thing I did was to finish the edges of the fingerboard with a 180 grit foam sanding block. This is an amazing tune-up! It rounds the fret ends as good as a professional job, and also the edges of the fingerboard, making it much more comfortable. Just hold it at 45 degrees to the edge and work it until you can hear it is smooth. It's magic!!

I think that neck is about the same as my Mustang P/J, but just a little thinner. This thing is so great to play, I feel that I could get rid of the rest of my basses and still be happy! It came with new DR Black Beauties on it that provide a real meaty sound.

IMG_7999.JPG IMG_8003.JPG IMG_8009.JPG

Attached Files:

OtherLisa and RoadRanger like this.
  4. Nice!

I second the fret-end treatment. Some time spent shaping the fret-ends to look like the end of a hot-dog goes a long way to turning these into top-shelf instruments. Factory frets are rough cut. Dress them and an already great neck feels and plays sooo much better. I use a fret crowning file but have also done it with a good set of needle files (which are great for working nut slots as well) that are usually widely available.

Which noiseless are you going with?

Volume/blend/tone pots is the way to go!

The paint gives it mojo. Backs are usually reserved for artistic inlay work so this is just a different take on that. Nobody sees it when you're playing anyway.

OtherLisa likes this.
  5. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Not as big of an idiot as my new drummer. He asked about my jag the other week and I told him how stupidly good it is (regardless of price) and the fact that they are now discontinued (and can fetch prices in excess of what they went for new). He then told me how he was given one by a family friend that owns a music store and after a short while gave it to another family friend.

OtherLisa and Slinger like this.
  6. Jester4108

Jester4108

Nov 5, 2019
    I know this is going back a while but does anyone know if the neodymium J mod would effect intonation or the life of the pickup?

7. Queue

Queue

Jul 5, 2013
    DC Suburbs, USA
    It severely impacted the life of my pickup, as it didn't really work for me, so I bought a set of Duncan quarter pounders.

GoLeafsGo, Zoobiedood and BAG like this.
  8. Please tell me you fired the drummer. :laugh:

9. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Not this time. I think he might be a keeper.

It's probably wrong to call him "the drummer"..... he sold all his kit after his divorce and now plays cajon and hand percussion. He has a foot pedal on it and a Roland EC-10m which allows a really cool range of sounds. Along with some shakers and a small splash cymbal he makes it sound like he's playing a full drum kit. I'd been looking for a decent minimalist drummer when he came along. I was skeptical at first as most people who say they play cajon are like those that say they play djembe....... generally hippies that want to be involved in music but actually have no idea. This guy can really play and we lock in together really well.

10. Jester4108

Jester4108

Nov 5, 2019
    Hmm. I'll probably just leave it till i have some spare cash for the Geezer's then.

11. Hey just a heads up, I don't know when they started offering them, but for those looking for roundwound sets that aren't the typical Ernie Ball or D'addario sets, String Joy offer custom sets.

Stringjoy 4 String Short Scale (29-30") Nickel Wound Bass Guitar Strings
    "Our Short Scale Nickel-Plated Steel Roundwound bass string sets have a taper at 32″ from the ball end. This is the ideal taper-length for most 29″ and 30″ scale basses."

You can even make a custom set.

I personally like 45/60/80/105 for E Standard. If I'm setting it up strictly for Drop D, I'd use a 115, but since I often go between E Standard and Drop D I intonate my 4th string to D# and use a 110 as a nice compromise between the two.

12. DAVEYC

DAVEYC

Jun 30, 2019
    East Sussex
    That advert link is for a long scale version.
    It's listed at 34 inch.
    The extra knob on the control panel was a giveaway initially.

RushNut2112 likes this.
  13. Grrrrrr...Should have picked up on that...My apology...If it seems too good to be true...then it prolly' is...

14. DAVEYC

DAVEYC

Jun 30, 2019
    East Sussex
    Somehow I slipped under the radar and managed to join the club a while back and get a number , 232, without posting a pic :laugh:.
    So here it is, newly fitted tort pickguard today, really happy with it's look. 20191207_121704.jpg

15. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Nice bass. Any information about the tort guard would be appreciated.

16. DAVEYC

DAVEYC

Jun 30, 2019
    East Sussex
    Hi, the pickguard was from eBay in the UK.
    Item number 112902549758.
    Fitted perfectly and cost £31

17. DAVEYC

DAVEYC

Jun 30, 2019
    East Sussex
    Listed as a vintage red tortoise

18. What's the effect of a Hipshot bridge? Will it cure what seems to be an intonation problem on my E string? I'm using LaBella flats .049 - .109. Joe

19. I have the same bridge. Just a few weeks ago I noticed the intonation was off on mine and set about to tweak the bridge. I checked the neck relief first and found that adjusting the truss rod to remove the excess relief not only cured the intonation problem, but made it much nicer and easier to play.