1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Precision Special 5-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dee_01, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Anyone own one of these? What are they like?

SPBV-AB.

2. Yeah,I do.They're pretty good but the 19mm string spacing takes some getting used to_Once you do,it's a comfortable bass to play.It's biggest downfall are the pickups unfortunately.The bass comes with standard J-type 4 pole pups,which as you have probably realised,ain't much use on a 5 string bass,so you'd need to change these.As i said,the spacing leads to pretty w-i-d-e neck.Heres mine,only now it has Seymour Duncan SJB-5N pups,and a black pickguard.

3. musicpug

musicpug

Mar 11, 2008
    U.K.
    I've owned one of these basses for the past 6-7 years.
    They're good ,solid basses, with a good sound for the money. But don't expect the 'B' string to ring out clear and strong......it's not a Musicman! They be a bit heavy on the shoulder after a couple of hours, but then, this a five string bass and you don't buy one for the comfort factor!!! The neck is good with roughly the same spacing as a jazz bass.
    Which I prefer coz if you switch between 4 and 5 string basses, the spacing should be roughly the same. Don't be fooled into thinking that a 5 string with close string spacing is a good thing....with 5 strings crammed into a small space, it can get messy!!!!!
    Overall, I'd say a good purchase if it's your first 5 string.
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Musicpug

4. I just picked up one of these used a couple of weeks ago. I haven't played it much but, I can tell you the pups are virtually useless on this bass.

As far as the overall quality, I was quite impressed. I paid $175 shipped to my door for mine. Here's some pertinent info for you from the one I have:

9lb, 8oz
    width @ nut = 2"
    width @ 20th fret = 3"
    3 ply PG
    High mass bridge
    nice solid finish
    nice neck joint
    Low action (after setup)
    satin finish on neck

Hope this is of some help to you.:D

5. muxis

muxis

Oct 2, 2007
    Hi,

I just saw this bass in a local store here. seems pretty cool.
    Anyone have a measurement of the pickups?

I have a Bassline AJB-5 and was wondering I can put em in directly in this bass without rerouting it.

regards,

6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I had one of those as my very first bass. Good feel, fit and finish for the price, but as stated b4, the pups are completely garbage. Keep in mind both pups are the same size as the standard 4 string neck pickup i believe so finding replacements are tough.

IMO go for the squier affinity jazz. I have one now and its awesome. The squier deluxe jazz also gets great reviews too.

7. muxis

muxis

Oct 2, 2007
    i guess that would be good as the Bassline AJB-5 can fit most 4 string size pickup eventho it can work for 5 string basses. But i guess the bridge need to be reroute.

8. I have one, It's not the best bass I've ever owned, but for the price, I believe I got a lot. It's about 7 or 8 years old and is in great shape. The sound is thin and I have always wanted to replace the pick ups, but wondered some of the same things I've read in this thread.

Attached Files:

9. bassix

bassix

May 1, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    I have 10 basses including Fenders, Musicman, and Xotic. I prefer a bass with wider spacing and, after searching in vain for years for something that was comfortable, was pleasantly surprised to find this bass. Of course, I didn't expect it to perform on a 'competitive' level out of the box; for $249 that's a ridiculous expectation. However, I recognized that it has good 'bones' and I could use it as a platform to mod it to a point I could use it. I've replaced the pickups with Villex Jazz bass pickups (required just a bit of massaging of the bridge pickup route) and replaced the bridge with a Badass V with string thru capability. I also had the string tree relocated so that it contacts the A-G strings and filed the stock nut down to allow the strings to vibrate a little more freely.

Without question the Squire is my desert island bass. I've been told that this bass is my 'voice'. The B isn't as tight as I'd like to to be, but I haven't played a Fender that is. The Villex's are monstrous! Huge bottom end and very flexible. BTW, this bass has 18mm spacing at the bridge, NOT 19mm. It might feel a little wider to some because of the 2" wide nut, which does affect how the right hand feels, but my digital calipers don't lie -> 18mm.

I love this bass so much, I just bought another one off Ebay to use as a backup!

10. Whoa whoa whoa: they're 4-string pickups housings?? UGH. I thought they were 4-string pickups in a 5-string housing. I just bought one of these basses, and a set of used MIM Standard Fender Jazz V pickups to "drop in." I've now found that I will need to route the body, as the pickups are about a half-inch too big :mad: :rollno: :scowl:

11. bwong

bwong

Feb 29, 2012
    Vancouver
    I've had one of those for years (that exact model too) and JUST put in new pickups, got DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups, just had to do a little sanding and they fit fine. My only issue is there's a wire on the tone knob that goes into the bass where you can't get to and I don't understand what it does and it really bothers me :s

Other than that, I played many shows with this bass and it's pretty decent, not bad, but definitely one to buy used and replace the pickups in. VERY comfortable if you have massive hands like me :p I use it JUST as much as my Fender.

12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    The wire goes to the BACK of the tone pot (rather than to one of the eterminals), right? That would be the ground wire for the bridge. If you take the bridge off, you'll find the wire comes up under the bridge where it's stripped and mashed between the bridge bottom and the wood to make a ground connection for the strings.

13. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    why not just get a Jazz bass? How can this be called precision?

14. It's a Precision body. Ever seen the Mark Hoppus sig? Jazz body, P pickup, and I believe it's called a Jazz.

15. This, relatively certain that Fender calls their basses by the body shape, despite what the headstock says.

16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    As wrong as it may be Fender has chosen to define a "Precision" bass by the name on the headstock. If it says Precision that's what it is regardless of pickup config or body type shape or headstock, etc.
    Case in point - Blacktop "Precision" has dual humbuckers, 51 "Precision" has telecaster headstock, "Precision" Plus has P/J config., "Precision" special has J/J config., etc.
    Nut widths differ
    Pickguards differ
    Number of frets differ
    Some are active, some passive,
    Pickup config differs
    Body can be slab or contoured or offset
    Headstock can be standard Fender flag or tele or tele reverse
    Tuners can be Lollypop or clover or tee type
    Can be 4 or 5 string with rounds or flats
    Control layouts differ
    Body and fb woods differ

About the only thing I can find in common with all "Precision" basses is the word "Precision" on the headstock. So in spite of what us players would define as a P bass, Fender has chosen to define it as a sticker on the headstock.

17. Andy Walhor

Andy Walhor

Jun 21, 2009
  18. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    Get the Matt Freeman Sig Squier and you'll never look back!

19. Look closely at that headstock. Looks to me like it says Jazz Bass; it is of course a Precision body. However, the Duff sig is based off of his Fender Jazz Bass Special. I see what you're saying; very confusing, Fender.