1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Precision Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazzMarius, Mar 12, 2009.

1. hy everyone.i might be able to get one of those and just wondering: if i'll change the pickups with some good 5 strings jazz pickups (some USA standard Jazz, or DiMarzios.... ) will i be able to get a good sound of it?

i see ( at least my eyes see that ) that the pickups are quite diferent placed from the standard jazz position.

anyone tried that?

i really want a good ( cheap ) 5 strings backup bass.

i might get a VERY good deal on this one

[​IMG]

thanks for ur help and time to view this!

2. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I think they are a well built bass. I keep looking at one at a local shop. Has a two inch neck at the nut. Balance was good, neck pocket was tight, neck felt good.

The B was solid and sounded okay, but the stock pickups are designed for a four string. I think the pickups are the same size and I've read it is a little tricky to find replacements that just drop in. Weight is okay, about the same as my Tribute. The World Music Supply company was clearing them out for $229.00 awhile back.

3. i really don't care much about finding the same size replacement because my uncle works with wood and i guess he can help me and reroute the cavity for some diferent size pickups. i mean, he refinished his '75 Gibson Les Paul... :p

tanks for ur input. about the placeing.what sound will i get with some standard jazz pickups (american) or some other jazz pickups in that positions ?

4. I own one and the fit and finish are awesome.
    I was going to drop some MIM Jazz pups in it that I have left over from an upgrade. I measured, and they are the exact size, although from a 4. I hadn't considered the pole pieces. Doh!
    Anyway, it plays nice, but is very heavy. I think it's agathis wood. If you're able to upgrade the pups, I would also consider the tuners. They're weak, and I tightend up all the adjustments on them, they are just low-grade.
    I do dig it, though, and it was my trial into 5 strings.
    Here are a few pics:

Squier-OLP002.

NewBasses002.

I do like the Sunburst in the one you're considering. All my other Fenders are Sunburst.
    Good luck.

S.

5. thanks guys.

i believe they use two neck pickups. two short pickups and that'ss why there are so many problems with the low B.most use S/L, short for neck/long for bridge and some modern basses ( acording to bartolini ) use L/L, long for both ( 95 mm i believe ).

so , either i use two neck pickups....or reroute the bridge pickup.

well...let's see how this deal turns out!

please, keep ur opinions and experiences comming.i am learning so much here!! :)

6. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
  7. thanks.great info though no one did this.i saw some guy here ( gindara i believe ) that did it, but no thread about this mod.anyone did this?

u can see some good deal on barts over the 'bay. u can either get 2 neck pickups or a set and modify the bridge cavity.

any experience? or diference in sound with a neck pickup in the bridge position?

u guys know alot :D

8. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    as Nike says; Just Do It

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

9. am i wrong or the pickups are placed different from the standard jazz position?

10. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    thats a p bass body with jazz bass pickups, so thats why it looks like the pickups are placed differently, its a different shaped body.

11. so , obvious that i will not get the jazz sound, right? what if i put a pickguard sloted for a precision pickup and put a P/J configuration?
    i heard that beneath the pickguard u have some serious space and i saw a body ( i believe ) that has room like for an humbucker.

what do u think?

12. Bwuk Bwuk

Bwuk Bwuk

Jun 4, 2007
    Norway
    Sure looks nice at least.

13. well i think i am stupid.i don't know if u can find some fine ( not exagerate price ) "P" pickups for 5 strings.....:rollno:

14. some more help please?

15. come one, please, no one knows the exact dimensions of this bass's pups? is this 19mm?

16. In all honesty, this is the first time I have seen it.

If you can get a good price on it, then do it. If you get it and don't like what you see, or doesn't fit your needs, flip it.

17. thanks for that. i will do that.

my concern is about the pups. if anyone can tell me dimensions/replacements and the string spacing, that'd be great.!

18. ??¿¿

19. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
  20. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Forgot to add, a TB'er (Pointbass) had one for awhile and seemed to really like and his usual stuff is very high end gear. Do a search for his posts and you may find more info.