1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass , weight question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbnutt, Feb 27, 2018.

1. cbnutt

cbnutt

Jan 9, 2018
    Any chance some of these could be under 8 pounds ? like to find a new light one, sunburst , thanks .

2. Due to the natural differences in wood,
    anything is possible.
    With those or any other bass,
    I wouldn't hold my breath counting on a sub 8 pound one.
    Under 9, maybe.

Gluvhand and cbnutt like this.
  3. I see them under 9 frequently. Under 8, never. Doesn't mean they don't exist but I've never seen one.

cbnutt likes this.
  4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have one, and have seen a few others ... the model that seems to consistently ran the lightest was the black one, I think they call it the '77 possibly .. I have had so many of these come and go through here I had a pretty good feel for them until they started changing to the super high gloss finish ... did not care for them after that, and I preferred the Duncan Designed pup over the Fender Designed anyway ... I have had two under 8 lbs, both the black version ... the heaviest I have had were the EARLY natural maple finish bodies, one approached 11 lbs, but right around 10 lbs seemed the heaviest for most of these ... IF ... I was looking for light, I would look for the oldest black VM I could find ... Vintage Modifieds were introduced in '07, and the were initially all natural maple if I remember correctly ... within a couple years the varieties began to appear ... early black body, maple style fretboard with the fake blocks, satin finish neck around 2010-11 range seemed to be a nice light run ... other than that it is a cr@pshoot ... I gave up on trying to keep up with all the changes a couple years ago, so my frame of reference is probably pre-2015 or so ...

By the way, the only one I have left, comes in a little over 7lbs, I think it is a 2010 ... I played it most of last summer when my back went out ... in fact it is the bass I am playing in my profile pic:

Attached Files:

Micah D and cbnutt like this.
  5. cbnutt

cbnutt

Jan 9, 2018
    Iam guessing theres bound to be a few light ones out there , maybe ill just start calling a few stores if I can find some that stock the VM model, right now sweetwater is out , they list the weights .looks like there is a very few that are in the 7 something range, id like one if it was maybe around 8 .

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I wouldn't be shocked to find one under eight. I have a VMFP that is under eight. It's not like a Jazz bass weighs exponentially more. Bear in mind that Fenders were not designed with an eight pound weight in mind, my P neck dives hard.

cbnutt likes this.
  7. cbnutt

cbnutt

Jan 9, 2018
    Any suggestions on some stores to call ?? Tried a few on ebay , but was told there all in the box and they just ship and dont take them out !! Local store has one thats a hair over 9 , felt "ok" but I think if I could hit close to 8 it would be about right . Thought id see if any of you guts know of some good stores, Thanks :)

8. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    Mine weighs 9 pounds 1 ounce. I think it's going to be hard to find one lighter than 9. To put things in perspective, my American Deluxe Strat weighs 8 pounds 6 ounces with a body and neck much smaller than a Jazz Bass.

cbnutt likes this.
  9. cbnutt

cbnutt

Jan 9, 2018
    Ive read a few reports in the 7 something range, both of my Telecasters are under 7 pounds , but might take a long time to find 8 or less in a Jazz , what little fiilling in I do on bass, I mostly do setting on a stool, so it may not matter in the long run , my Peavy Millinium is pretty light, its kind of spoiled me , but iam really wanting that Fender look, without going to a high end USA model .

10. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Maybe look at the Classic Vibe series from Squier. No sunbursts, but they can be very light. Great basses too.

cbnutt likes this.
  11. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I think the Js are generally much heavier because Squier makes the P with basswood and J with alder. With the bigger body and heavier wood, the J seems quite a bit heavier. There are many VMPs that are in the 8-8.5 lb range and could easily be under 8 just by changing the tuners.

DiabolusInMusic and cbnutt like this.
  12. cbnutt

cbnutt

Jan 9, 2018
    can new tuners take off 6 or 8 ounces ? that would help .

13. Not all the VMJs are alder. It depends on the finish.

I also don't think you'd gain anywhere near half a pound by changing tuners. Or not.

14. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    You do. You absolutely do. You lose about half a pound. Look it up.

cbnutt likes this.
  15. cbnutt

cbnutt

Jan 9, 2018
    anyone near a store that has a few VM Jazz,s in stock ?

16. lorino

lorino

Oct 23, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I found one. Wasn't really looking - just picked it up at the store for giggles and couldn't believe how light it was. Actually went back tot he store to weigh it today - weighed and re-weighed it. 6 pounds 14 ounces - and I'm rounding up. I'm stupefied - I even asked, are my eyes bad, is this a mini? Nope.

Squier VM Jazz, sunburst, maple bound block inlays, and the knobs with numbers. I may have to buy it...