1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Bass Special- thoughts??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bdmdh8, May 15, 2019.

1. bdmdh8

bdmdh8

May 15, 2019
    STL
    new to TalkBass so let me know if I am doing this wrong.

I picked this up a couple weeks ago dirt cheap and honestly bought it with the intentions to flip or give to a family member as I do not need another bass. But, something about this bass is making it hard to get rid of... sounds great, plays great, low action. previous owner must have applied the "road worn" look to the body, also has new J bass pup from previous owner. The neck pickup if great for the reggae/dub tunes I jam too, and the middle position gives great rock tones.
    I put in a new switch, pots and output jack. The 32" scale is really comfortable as well. Anyone have any experience with these? I keep listing it to sell and them change my mind once I play it again... the struggle...

Anyone know what these might be worth? It seems like some of the squier TB models go from anywhere between $300-$500. Not sure what to think.

Attached Files:

2. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Ha! I'm in the same boat! This girl showed up this morning in the want ads as "best offer", and it's within driving distance.

Ad says it's a stock photo, and actual photos on request. Which I'm requesting.

IMG_20190706_101210.jpg

PS - Seller also has a Squier Bronco in black for €100.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  3. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    When they were in online stores, I always wanted to try it first. But, never had a chance. Meanwhile, they were gone forever. I was just not comfortable to buy it online and discover I don't like it. I regret not getting it..

4. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    To be honest, for me it's the Tele body and the pairing of a Jazz pup and a mudbucker. That is enough to put me off. It looks like a hodge-podge, something you'd once have seen in the 'Bitsa Bass' sections of certain fora.

Don't doubt it sounds good but not for me on the aesthetics level.

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Looks like you found a nice bass for $200 that you simply don't see every day of the week. Saw one recently for $300, so it's a bargain.

6. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I bought one when they came out and still love it, especially the neck. I thought the humbucker would be hard to work with but its really not.

7. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

:cool: So I get these, with a note saying pickguard, bridge, electronics pics forthcoming.

Looks like I'd be taking on a project bass. This is what I would have done anyway. Screw boring black.
    IMG_20190707_120256.jpg
    IMG_20190707_120310.jpg

8. IMG_20191116_000354_085.jpg

I just bought this one last month with a hard case for $200 off craigslist. I love the look. A bit on the heavy side but comfortable medium scale with great neck. May change out the bridge pup. Neck pickup is "boomy" but sounds good, especially with a little fuzz. I originally bought it thinking about flipping it for a profitbecause they are rare. But now... I think I'm keeping it :thumbsup:

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  9. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    I just learned of these today and I have the GAS like no one's business. It will be my mission own one of these

10. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    I liked the standard telecaster bass they had with the tone capacitor selector switch. A good design idea that could have taken off on a more typical bass

11. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I'm a big fan of the tele shape. I say keep it, don't sell. They are fairly hard to come by.

I am local, if you wanna move it, lemme know!

IMG_0768.JPG

Jscriv likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021