1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier VM Precision replacement pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spaceman3, Aug 8, 2012.

1. spaceman3

spaceman3

Aug 8, 2012
    Total newbie here, just got a Squier Vintage Modified P-bass and I want to replace the pickguard. I've read that the standard P-bass pickguards will not fit these Squiers, is this true? anyone know which aftermarket pickguard will fit?

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have an older vm p bass. A standard fender pickguard off guitarfetish.com fit just fine. All the holes lined up perfectly.

3. jlr

jlr

Jan 15, 2006
    Rocheport, Missouri
    .....pickguardheaven.com has lots of different guards. If you can't seem to find yours there you can trace it on paper, including screw holes, and send it to them. They'll cut you one to match.

4. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    I bought two tortoise "P-bass" pickguards from Guitarfetish, and neither one fit my 1993 MIM Precision or my 2011 Highway One Precision. They were so far off in fact that they didn't even cover the electronics cavity completely! It looked like someone had mis-cut the template badly at the Chinese factory. Plus, the tortoise pattern was pretty awful... like an out-of-focus photograph.

I was so upset at the poor quality of the cheap 3rd party approach, that I went to the other extreme and bought a genuine Fender nitrocellulose re-issue tortoise pickguard from Angela.com. It's the best looking tortoise pickguard I've ever seen, and it fit perfectly, although it does arrive "curved"/convex at first, apparently due to the nitro finish process where the nitro layer shrinks more than the other layers. It flattens over time once it's screwed down.

Of course, it was a lot more money... about 5X more to be precise. But good tortoise pickguards are apparently not easy to manufacture.
    http://angela.com/fenderstandardprecisionbasstortoisepickguard.aspx

I think the StewMac pickguards are also supposed to be good fits, and as long as you avoid the tortoise patterns, they'd probably look just fine.

Oh, and by the way, you could try to find a template for the official Fender pickguard and print it out, and overlay yours to see if it matches. I bought a Fender thumbrest for a few dollars and it came with a full-size template to show precisely where to punch holes.

5. ulynch

ulynch Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    You might find something useful in the Tricked out Squier club, or Squier vintage modified club threads. Once upon a time there was a squier direct replacement parts thread too, but I can't seem to find it.

6. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    If you have an older (pre-2006) model with the 14-hole pickguard, then this is specifically for your model:

genuine Squier VM Precision pickguard

Otherwise you should be able to order any of the 13-hole Fender Precision replacement pickguards.

7. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I have an Allparts pickguard that fits my 13-hole Squier VM Precision perfectly.

8. spaceman3

spaceman3

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I might go with the allparts or possibly GFS. Mine is a newer VM model (maple neck, amber finish)

9. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I had a Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass. I bought a few pickguards for it from WD Music, worked great for me.

10. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

Dec 24, 2011
    Greenville NC
    Which version did you pick out? The basic Precision version?

11. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I don't recall offhand, it's been awhile. I do know that I always went by the number and alignment of holes when selecting the style.