1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squire Affinity P-Bass replacement tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KappaEpsilon, Jul 15, 2019.

1. KappaEpsilon

KappaEpsilon

Jan 18, 2018
    Hallo Leute,

I’m in the market for a cheap Squire precision bass to upgrade for something to do really.
    I found an old Affinity P-Bass going for cheap which seems like the perfect template for a project.
    My main concern however is those closed in tuners with small posts. Is it possible to find a direct replacement for those or least one with as little reaming or drilling as possible.
    Those tuning machines seem to be a bit problematic given their size. I believe they are the same as the Squire Bronco however.
    Any help or links at all will always be appreciated. If this project actually gets off of the ground you may here more of me asking you experts for advice. :)

Dankeschön!

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Sure there are replacements that will fit. How much are you willing to spend though? The replacements will cost about as much as the bass did. You can check out the GB 707 that Allparts carries (TK-0923 Single Gotoh GB707 Sealed Bass Key.) Give the tuners on there a fair chance, you can always change them later. And what do you mean 'small tuners with sealed posts' the Affinitys I've seen use Schaller BMF clone tuners; hardly a small or sealed post.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  3. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I think they mean this kind:
    Screenshot_20190716-075209_Chrome.jpg

This is a bronco, but they were on the affinities from the 90s-2000 something. (I find it fascinating they switched to open back tuners for the p bass but still use these on the bronco.)

At any rate, here is a measurement I found for bronco tuner holes:
    Replacement Tuning Machines for Squier Bronco?
    Some referenced using gotoh gb7 (9/16 hole) but they still had to ream out the hole a little.

FWIW I'm in the "if it ain't broke dont fix it camp." I had to replace tuners on my affinity, because a piece was physically missing when I bought it. What did I get? Another set of squier tuners. (Granted these were open back, but you get my point) the hardware ain't half bad.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Well yuck. Still, I'm with you; let them fail before you start spending money on new ones. Sometimes things keep on working despite your expectations or desires.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    alanloomis1980 likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021