1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SR886 Refinish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rebelscum, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Greetings Ladies & Gentlemen,

I have been lurking about this forum reading and watching as some of you refinish your basses.

Today, I have made the decision to refinish my beloved Ibby SR886. This has been with me since '91 and definitely shows the wear & tear ...

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

IMAG0124.

My thoughts are that I want to strip and sand this down to bare wood to see what is hiding under this cracked, and dented finish. If the wood is worthy, I would like to do a black stain similar to the Nirvana Black with an oil finish found on some Warwick basses.
    If not, a solid Black with a satin finish. The neck will remain unpainted and finished with tung oil.
    I was thinking to compliment the black finish is to replace the old, rusted hardware with new, or new to me gold hardware.

I would love your read your thoughts and advise as this community does so well to to help other TBers :)

Pictures will be posted during this endeavor if there is any interest in it.

Thanks,

~Chris