1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

St Blues identification

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElBasso, Mar 17, 2013.

1. ElBasso

ElBasso

Oct 1, 2010
    I wanted to get an idea of what model/country of origin my St Blues bass is. It has 03202 serial number. I picked this up used a few years ago and have no info. The company seems to have an inconsistent history according to other posts, factories in Memphis, China, and Korea and the company has changed hands as well. I have heard that all new models are inspected by the guys from Schecter and still very good but nowhere near the ones made at the S&T shop. Any info to differentiate would be appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363560979.966165. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363560997.474848.

2. ElBasso

ElBasso

Oct 1, 2010
    More pictures
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363561467.809729. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363561493.747298.

3. ElBasso

ElBasso

Oct 1, 2010
    Bump

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm thinking it's an '84 Blues King model made at Strings & Things in Memphis. I had a Translucent Cherry '84 that had a S/N of 038XX. (I'm not showing the entire S/N because I no longer have it, and the new owner might not want it broadcast.) Great, largely unknown basses. Looks like you have a nice one there!

EDIT: If you call the shop, the guys there can tell you exactly what year it was made. They're very nice. But I'm pretty sure it's an '84. Here's a pic of the one I had:

IMG_0778.

5. ElBasso

ElBasso

Oct 1, 2010
    Thanks Jeff, I will call them and see if I can get an exact date. That's a good looking bass, like the wood grain. D you mind me asking what you let yours go for so I have a better idea of that periods value?

6. Both those basses made me tingle. Beautiful.

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    El Basso, I sent you a PM.

Thanks Sam. They're definitely cool basses, and sound great as well, especially when they're sporting those original DiMarzio pickups from the '80s!

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I love mine but have no idea how to figure out the DOM.
    basses005-1.

Templar likes this.
  9. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The original ones had the longer stemmed Kluson type reverse tuners and the serial numbers on the neck plate as well as the threaded vintage style bridges. They also had that unique headstock shape which has changed over the years. The later import models will have the serial numbers on a decal on back of the headstock.

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sweet blend of colors on that one!

11. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I’m curious when you sold that. I’ve seen one exactly like it in the wild, but it was a long time ago. There can’t be that many red ones with maple boards.

The guy I’m thinking of is a busy touring player out of Nashville but he got his red S&T when he was in Austin. He still has it AFAIK.

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm not sure exactly when I sold it, but I think it was near the end of 2012. The guy I sold it to is also a TB'er who lived near Nashville. But we met halfway between Memphis and Nashville to make the deal.

13. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Different guy. My guy had his no later than 1986. There is apparently more than one Cherry/maple out there.

Great instruments though. Mine is sneaking back into my gig rotation, and I have some pretty nice basses to choose from.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, in retrospect, this is one I wish I had hung on to. A beauty for sure; and not a whole lot of them around. I kick myself every time a see my old pics! :(;)

15. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I do wish I could adjust the truss rod without taking off the neck.

Jeff K likes this.