Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Star Trek

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Who watches it?.. Come on.. I'm talking about TNG and DS9.. You gotta love it :p

Me <3 SpikeTV

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'm fluent with Klingon.

(I'm not even sure what a Kligon is. Though I would like a phaser.)

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The Star Trek variants seem to get more mundane as time goes on. The original had a plethora of social issues. It had TV's first inter-racial kiss. It had the famous episode with the two guys who were black on one side and white on the other. And the one with Dr. Severin and his Eden-seekers, where Mr. Spock turns into a hippie for a while. The interesting thing about that series, was that the science fiction was only a backdrop for the social issues. TNG is "not bad" in that regard, but DS9 seems to be a lot more about the sci-fi than anything else.

4. I'm more towards Voyager. I'm waiting for Janeway and Chekotay (sp) to "explore their fonal frontiers" :eek: :p

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    +1

Definitely agree with you here. They also had an episode dealing with the ruined world of the "Yanks" and "Comms" and their interpretation of the "E Pleb Nista". Also, I think "Mudd's Women" could be an attack on the idea of physical beauty no matter the cost.

DS9 never thrilled me, and while I watched V'ger from time to time it just doesn't have the aura of the original Star Trek. Basically, I think Trek has been played out and it's time to put it to pasture.

But that's just me & MHO, YMMV.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't watch Star Trek but I DID like the movie "Trekkies."

brad cook

7. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Best trek style movie in a while, imo, was Galaxy Quest.
    -Suprisingly funny.

8. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

... I'm not a Trekkie, but I play one on TV .... :D

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Anyone see the Triumph the Insult Dog harrassing the Trekkies? Hilarious.

10. agreed.

i really enjoyed TNG because, at its peak, it got pretty exploratory in good storytelling and throwing in very smart twists. it certainly didn't push any social boundaries. the acting was quite believable -- the best "acting" star trek cast.

robb.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I saw the one where he was outside of the Star Wars Episode II premier. Didn't see the Trekkies one.

brad cook

12. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    TNG did start off a bit slow, but once they changed Doctors, got rid of Tasha yar, and eventually got rid of Wesley "the Beaver" Crusher, it got pretty good. My only negative comment on TNG was they spent a bit too much time doing Shakespeare type stuff. Of course, this is all IMO.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am a Big Star Trek fan, i do agree that each off shoot's looses the uniquness of Star Trek. I think most of the films excep ST V were great additions in the Star Trek time line.

14. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Was ST V the "Search for God" movie? They traveled to the center of the universe IIRC.

I think ST II:The Wrath of Khan was by far the best ST movie. Riccardo Montalban's performance was excellent! At least, IMO.

15. Its not a forum without one of these!!!!

WAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Accually I've never seen Star Trek.

16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm not much of a Star Trek fan, but my new cell phone reminds me of a tri-corder.

17. MAJOR METAL

That was the theme of ST V. ST II is one of my most favorite films.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The 1st Season was about as lame as lame could ever be.

Some favourite post-Season 1 episodes-
    "The Inner Light"(named after as Beatles' tune?) ;)
    "Enterprise C"
    Both episodes with Dr. Moriarty(especially the 2nd one with Stephanie Beacham)
    Worf being booted outta the Klingon race.
    Troi as a Romulan.
    Picard held captive by the Cardassians.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mudd's Women = The Stepford Wives...the original one.

20. MAJOR METAL

Those were some good episodes, did you see the one with the Klingon Sleeper ship. Best of both worlds when picard is abducted by the Borg is up their for me.