Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting a rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EchO, Sep 19, 2005.

1. EchO

EchO

Aug 3, 2005
    Lubbock,TX
    Hey guys, I play in a local rock band and I'm fixin to have the money to start building a rack. Any suggestions on what all I should get? oh my cab is the Ampeg SVT-810E.

2. I used to play on a 810e also. I would recommend a good(read moderatly priced) preamp (ampeg svp-pro/ampeg cl/bmax ect) and a good, large power amp like a QSC. I use a mackie 1400, but if I could do it again, I'd go with a higher end QSC.

3. EchO

EchO

Aug 3, 2005
    Lubbock,TX
    ya actually we use a behringer power amp to amp our mains and we put it up to a same model QSC and u really couldn't tell a difference except the behringer is cheaper haha
    ty for the input

4. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    The most important thing, IMO, when starting a rack rig, it the rack itself, this is the one place where you CANNOT cheap out. I'm speaking for experience here, I bought a legion sound 8U last fall and about a month ago the handles started to pop off.

Some brands to check out:
    SKB
    Gator
    Kriz Kraft
    MGM

Don't be afraid to spend money on your case...

5. I'm ran out of space with my Gator 4 rack space rack bag. It was fine when it was just my power conditioner, tuner, and hartke head. But now that I'm going with a seperate preamp and power amp I'm lacking one (1U) rack space. Also be positive that the rack you get is deep enough for your gear. My Gator is only 13.75" from the rail to the back. That's not deep enough for the Kustom Groove bass, or a host of other popular amps. I think I'm going to have to take out my power conditioner until I can get a bigger rack.

6. Ive got an SVT II, that would go nicely with your cab! and they can be had pretty cheaply, and are better than any current ampegs imo (im slightly biased tho, but i think its true ;) )

I just ordered up an 8U SKB shockmount case, as people have said, you cant crap out on the case, ive got a 4U no-name seeming case, but i dont trust it, a few of the rivits are coming out and the latches are bending, altho i know it has been used alot in that case, so i spose it has served its purpose.

7. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Sorry if this pulls ppl of subject a little but I am in the same boat.

Ive heard that not be the case that QSC watts are different than behringer. I know theyre at opposite ends of the spectrum but for the price, behringer sounds like a great deal. 2500w for 300 bucks?

Or is it of such a low grade that a RMX850 would be much better?

8. behringers dont have the greatest reliability around, and a watt is a watt, however, if a manufacturer says one thing, it could be a complete lie . . . looks at "1500watt rms" pc speakers on desk . . . case in point ;)

9. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Outside of the obvious space needed in the rack etc.

Don't build a rack just for the sake of it. Do you want/need a seperate preamp, Rack tuner, power conditioner, compressor, effects?

I would figure out what components are going to give you the sound, effect and volume you want and then you can figure out what size rack you need.

This all sounds great in theory until you start lugging things around. Personally I opted for a Epifani and use a small tuner which I keep on top of the head.

If I was to build a rack (which I'm not):
    Alembic Preamp
    Mackie Power Amp
    Rack Tuner
    DBX Compressor
    Power Conditioner

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    exactly! reliability is EVERYTHING in a product. also it doesn't hurt that Bob who works for QSC is on this board and chimes in on all QSC questions you may have.

I've got a 4 space Gator with the handle that pulls out with wheels and I love it. I've just got a QSC RMX850 power amp and a RBI in my rack, and that's really all I need.