1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Starting to teach - help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Venom of God, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Well, I'm a bit of a hair metal guy, and as a result of that I have pretty hair metal hair. For a student with very little money, this is an expensive thing to have. Anyway, just today I was getting my regrowth bleached and my layers fixed up, when my hairdresser (who is also into hair metal and just a really cool dude) asked me if I ever gave bass lessons. Now, I haven't, but his girlfriend just got a bass (she's an absolute beginner) and he said that if I gave her lessons, for free, he would start doing my hair for free. I'm really keen to do it, but I'm not entirely sure where to start.

I was thinking that to begin with it would probably be best to cover the names of each string, explain a little about how music "works" and maybe teach the major scale and also some basic playing technique? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. crack-boom

crack-boom

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    yup, teach her about the strings and how they work lol. what notes are at what frets, and then major scales. that will take give her heaps of stuff to learn and give her a solid foundation

3. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Would it be shoving too much information down her throat to try and explain every position of every note? Or should I just start with the open strings, maybe the 5th and 7th frets and also G on the E string and C on the A string? I don't know why I said those last two, they were just the notes that knowing the location of helped me the most, I think.

4. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    2189568405_c1003315b0.

(Of your hair)

5. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
  6. Dude, your hair is awesome!!! Rock on!!! :bassist:

7. mathman7

mathman7

Jan 18, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    I know this probably goes without saying, but thought I'd throw my 2ยข worth anyway. Make sure you spend some time on proper position of the hands and exercises that practice good fretting and plucking/picking techniques. I'm a newbie that started teaching myself and got into some bad habits that were hard to break now that I know how to do it "correctly".

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  9. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    When I took lessons eons ago, the instructors always had me buy a book - they then taught me out of that.

When I gave lessons, I did the same thing. Easiest way to do it. The curriculum is all laid out for you.

10. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Stumbo, that is a good book. I'm going through it now. I try to keep a book on music/theory around and work through them. This book is clean, easy to understand, and covers a ton of basics.

Don't forget to give her something to work on during the week. Maybe a printout of a scale to work on, at least to begin with.