Steinberger neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by psi, May 28, 2005.

1. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    So I managed to get my hands on a Steinberger XL-2 for an EXCELLENT price. The neck however is bowed causing a terribly high action. This bass has no truss rod, and I was under the impression that the graphite neck would always be relatively straight. Any tips on addressing this problem? Is it possible to replace the neck? (ie: Moses replacement neck?)
  2. I've got an XL2, its all one piece. You can remove the old neck with a saws-all, but replacing it is going to be tough. I think I know why you got it at a great price.

I didn't think it was possible for that to warp, wonder what they did to it?

3. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Check with Peekamoose in NY ( i think thats where they are at)

What you are probably going to have to have done is a complete refret, and the frets are going to have to have thicker tangs to help push the neck backwards.

You will need to find a tech (like the guys at Peekamoose) who are experienced with the Steinberger necks to know if it is salvageable or not.
  4. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Currently, the bass is at Peekamoose in NY. Paul said that a refret might help, but I told him not to do that just yet. For now I have him doing a bridge rebuild, tune up, and general check-over. Maybe I'll be able to tolerate the high action -- who knows. Paul said that NO neck, even graphite ones, do not have uniform density, and that over time the material will compress. I guess that's what happens when you let an instrument just sit there for 20+ years with no attention.