1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stereo Clone Theory Need Joy Division sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Night Prowler, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Hello!
    I have recently started in a band where the other people of the band want a Joy Division (Peter Hook) bass sound. I have done some search and understand that a EHX Stereo Clone Theory will get that distinct bass sound.
    It´s sounds to good to be true that a chorus pedal will get that almost overdriven/distorted sound. I would like to know for those who have used the clone theory thinks if it´s possible to get that Peter Hook sound from it, before I order it.

Thank you!

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The analogman mini chorus clone nails that tone with no hiss, my amp tech has repaired Peter Hooks Clone Theory and says the analogman sounds the same (except for its complete lack of hiss)

3. Yeah, I know. But the Clone Theory is cheaper.

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    It's a fair deal, but the Clone Theory is hissy as heck. This from an ehx maniac like myself.

I'd bet that the overdriven part of Hook's tone has more to do with his amp than his chorus...

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Gigantic +1 to that. I thought the Clone Theory was an awesome chorus unit, but the hiss drove me mad, so off it went. Probably most any chorus will be good, it's the amp o/d that'll be missing from your formula.

6. McSpunckle

McSpunckle

Feb 15, 2008
    I don't have a huge problem with hiss from my Clone Theory.

It was worse before I ripped the horn out of my cab, though...

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The Clone Theory will take care of the chorus element of his tone. But it will NOT get the rest of the elements of his sound. It'd be naive to think that's all you needed to do. :p

Remember that there's more to Hook than the Clone Theory. For example, he used a pick, which is key to the sound. I believe that his head of choice was a Hiwatt 100W head of some sort - low power allowed for more grit and drive at lower volumes. His bass during Joy Division was usually a Rickenbacker 4001 copy, but he also used a Yahama BB1200 (and continued to use it with New Order). In other words, more aggressive-sounding basses.

The Clone Theory isn't an "instant Peter Hook" pedal. You have to adjust your amp settings and playing style (mainly, a grittier tone and pickstyle playing) if you want to get that sound...

8. cathal

cathal

Mar 21, 2007
    London, England.
    and he was famous for picking right on the bridge for the edgy tone