1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stereo Rigs- Who Here Uses Them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm putting the finishing touches on my new mini stereo rig this week (I'll post a new thread when it's completed) and was wondering who else here uses them and for what purpose?

I'm mainly using one to run an effected pre through one cab and a non-effected one through another and I'm using a pedal to crossfade back and forth between them, and my stereo looper is letting my record those crossfades going back and forth between the speakers

2. Richard Bona uses one live!

I'm looking foward to seeing what you put together Bryan.

I'm planning on a Radial Bigshot Mixer to blend an FXed signal back into a clean for just a hint of FX.... though I'd love to do what Amy from Clatter does with a bass + guitar + FX amp setup.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    When I was gigging on fretless BG I used a stereo rig most of the time for several years. Right now I'm contemplating a dry-mono plus-stereo EFX rig for the return of my electric band, Passing Wind. 3 cabs, each powered by at least 600 watts.:cool:

I dig the Metheny-style spread option, preferably with around 10 feet of spread per cab. I generally don't gig with a guitar player in Passing Wind, but I play guitar and guitar synth myself sometimes, so the stereo part of the rig does double duty for that. I like to use big 'moving' choruses and ping pong delays, especially for slide bass. The dry channel is nice for keeping bottom intact while the EFX channels get massive fuzz too.

I'm fortunate to have an indulgent sound man at the primary venue I'll be using this at or I might not bother, frankly.

4. I use an SWR SM-900 head with a SWR Megoliath cabinet. This cabinet has the ability to run stereo. The top 4 of the 8 speakers are able to be run separate, or use the entire cabinet as an 8X10. The SM-900 has a stereo output and two equalizers, so I can custom tailor my bottom end to go to the lower 4 speakers, and then I can add the sizzle to the upper 4 speakers which also has a bullet tweeter. The look on the guitarists face.......................priceless.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'm still in the process of experimentally wiring my Schro 1210+1212 setup for separate inputs for each driver. SWR IOD clean to the angle+tweet, IOD dirty to the front driver. We'll hear what happens.

6. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I run an effects channel and a clean channel.

I dabbled with stereo effects before but I thought that the imaging wasn't distinct enough to bother. It works nice for stereo delays though.

7. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I run stereo into 2 eden 110's

IMAG0043.gif

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I used to do some smaller gigs where I just went direct from the V-Bass. For these, I usually ran it from the stereo DIs, though I didn't do any extreme panning. I would either send a roughly 3/4 effected signal to one side with the inverse going to the other side, or simply use it's Stereo outs as a crossover to send lows and highs to seperate channels on the board. That's been years, though. I should set up another stereo rig when I get my power amp back, just to explore the possibilities again.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Since it was bumped, I might as well post what my setup finally came out as.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The SKB is one of the narrow X-racks, as the deepest thing in it is the QSC PLX2 1104 at 10". The one MIDI controller controls one of the Boss VF-1s and the Looperlative using a MIDI A/B switch to switch between the two. I may get another switch so I can control both the VF-1s as well as the Looperlative (I'm not a fan of segmenting the MIDI controller buttons to different units or having each button set a specific parameter for each at once).

The Radial Switchbone and the EB Stereo Pan pedal setup isn't quite ideal, but it's the best I can do as far as pan control until ToneCzar stops having a year-long wait list for their VFM pedal.

There's only two things I dislike about my setup:
    1. I don't like having to plug in so many AC units to operate it all, as they pop out fairly easily compared to standard plugs
    2. The gain setup isn't ideal. Most of the sounds on the VF-1s sound best with the volume maxed. This distorts in the QSC though unless the volume is turned up pretty high. Since I'm pretty much a hobbiest, I can't run the rig at too loud a volume without my wife wanting to kill me :D

10. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    When I had my Goliath II, I ran my effects with my delay in the front. The direct out went to my Ampeg into my Mesa 2x15 and then the wet signal into the rest of my pedals into my BBE into the SWR. Having a clean signal underneath my Big Muff was so awesome. lol.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's one of the reasons I'm having a hard time thinking about using just a standard little head- I haven't been able to duplicate getting a simultaneous clean signal and dirty one with the degree of awesomeness that using the two pres/cabs gives.

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Bryan, that rig is hardcore. Dang. 2 x VF-1's, I'm scared.

13. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    Does anyone know how she sets that up with the 3 signals? maybe like a splitter box or something

14. Are you saying that you assign Eq1 to one side and Eq2 to the other sterio side? I haven't figured out how to do this and the manual doesn't help. I bought a used 2002 SM900 and downloaded the current manual since the amp didn't come with a manual.

I have bi-amped and used the cross-over to send the highs and lows to different cabs, but didn't know I could equalize them separately also.

Thanks for your reply.

RJM

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Amazingly light and small too considering what's in it. All the wires that have to go into it are hell though.

I dig your new avatar :)

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    An A/B/C/Y box will do that. I think she used to use the Morley A/B/Y but maybe something a little more upscale nowadays. :)

17. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks B, I'm returning her...hopefully GC won't notice that she's 22 months old.

18. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    UK
    Thought I'd chime in here.. Stereo all the way!

I run a clean bass channel and a dirty channel, both on all the time, then mixed together. Both are fed into a stereo FX unit and out to a stereo power amp and left/right out to 2 matched cabs. I play 7 string, so the stereo FX are usueful for guitar type parts etc.

19. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Mind sharing how you split up your signal, just to add to the "common knowledge" here on the forum? :)

20. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I run 2 separate amps - one SVT > 2 15"s for lows and a Marshall > 2 12"s for highs and split the signal via stereo outs on a Boss SE-50 (the granddaddy of your VF1). The programmabiltiy of the boss unit allows me to do stuff like chorus or pitch shift just the high end box. It works well...but I'd like to get my hands on one of those VF1s. :cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021