1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4 and Ray5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanJD, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    I reworked that picture, it looks pretty far to me. Do you have the string pressed down at the last fret?

attachment.

2. zaviere

zaviere

Apr 20, 2012
    Oh no sorry. That's just strings unfretted.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's exactly how mine came, thankfully intact. Did anyone else get theirs in a single box with no substantial padding whatsoever?

4. JackoBass

JackoBass

May 13, 2010
    Mine was double boxed and was pretty well encased in paper wrap with a cardboard triangle on the headstock. No calamities here.

5. Gimme4

Gimme4

Feb 27, 2011
    My sb4 came to gc in a box with a little bit of cardboard bracing& plain foam wrapper. Didn't get my Allen wrench or truss rod tool. Love the bass though.

6. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Um the allen wrench IS the truss rod tool :)

7. JackoBass

JackoBass

May 13, 2010
    I got an Allen wrench and a 5" or so rod that was made for the truss wheel.

8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Weird. I have been using an allen wrench for years to adjust my EBMM truss wheel.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Do the fancy shamcy $1200+ Musicman's (Musicmen?) have the same awesome neck as the sub? I love how thin the nut width is with the chunkyness of the neck. I always figured when I buy a $1000+, american made bass some day it would be a Fender, but maybe I'll get a Musicman. I've never tried one in GC or Sam Ash because they never really appealed to me, but I'm loving the sub.

10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Which sub do you have again? I play only 5 string, so I can't speak directly to your question. I can tell you that the 4 string I played felt close to the EBMM, but the finish was a little rough. It felt nice and stable, and fret work seemed to be in order, but I'm not a stickler for perfection. I like what feels right to me.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I have the sub ray 4. I've played a lot of basses, but never a MM and I've never played a neck like that. Like on most Fenders I've played, the back of the neck is more like the modern half oval where as the back of the sub neck is more like a half circle. I don't know but I like it.
    It seems more like the u-shaped one I suppose
    guitar-neck-contours.

12. JackoBass

JackoBass

May 13, 2010
    I play with pretty low action and I tend to dig in, so I noticed my B string distorts a little when I'm digging. I noticed these pickups are pretty hot AND the exposed poles are really strong. If I rest on the B (.130 Cobalt), the magnet will actually pull it down and I'll hear that "thik thkg" sound. I have yet to check out the recommended height on the MM site as someone suggested, but I get the feeling these pups were not meant to be very close to the strings *or* I was not meant to have such low action/slinky B string.

13. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN

The SUB series have the same neck widths between both the SB4 and the Ray4.

The EBMM Sterling has that same nut width (38mm), but the Sting ray is wider (41mm). The exception to that rule is the SLO special which puts the 38mm neck on a Stingray body.

QFT:
    SBMM SUB page: http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/sub-bass

Features
    Solid hardwood bodies
    34″ full scale maple necks
    Medium jumbo frets
    Satin tinted neck finish
    Narrow 38 mm nut width
    2 band onboard active preamp, cut & boost
    Large heavy duty bass bridge with full adjustments
    Easy access truss rod adjuster

EBMM Stingray site: http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/stingray.html

Neck Width:1-5/8" (41.3 mm) at nut 2-1/2" (63.5 mm) at last fret; Optional "SLO Special" 1-1/2" (38.1mm) at nut 2-12" (63.5mm) at last fret

14. My Walnut Stain SUB 4 is on the way!

15. Congrats!

Strangely I can only find the SUB SB4 at two of our local GCs. It's not bad, and I like how the neck feels close to the USA Sterling and not plasticy like the SBMM Ray34CA that I tried, but I'd love to compare it (hands on) to a few more comparably priced basses - including the SUB Ray 4.

16. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    got my hands on a walnut sub ray 4 and was extremely impressed. it sounded like a two band ray (it does have center detents on the pots though). very light (probably 8.5 lbs). tuners felt good. rosewood board was good quality. most impressed by the frets. no sharp ends, all of the fret ends were cut flush, beveled evenly and polished. nothing screamed "cheap bass" to me.

17. To my knowledge, I have heard nothing but positive statements about the SUBs. I am hoping my hardest that they are not over-hyped.

18. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM

The neck on the SB4 and Ray4 are the same, just to let you know.

Both are 38mm nut width

19. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Tony,
    Get in and try one out for yourself, that's the best way. They sell themselves!

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

May I suggest better packing during shipping. Especially protection for the knob area. I think mine took a hit as the treble and bass knob shafts were slightly bent and the volume knob was pushed all the way down to the plate so it rubs as you turn it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.