1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4 and Ray5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanJD, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Here is the information for our Israeli Distributor. They can get you in touch with who is handling your domestic sales.

Marom Musical Instruments

1, Jabotinsky Street
    Ramat-Gan 52520, Israel

972-3-6124466

Email address - udim@marom-music.com

2. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Here are some of our European Distributors information, starting with Espana.

Music Distribucion, S. A
    Garcilaso, 11-15
    08027 Barcelona, Spain
    34-93-422-18-11

Email - info@musicdistribucion.com

Estonia
    Stanford Music
    1 Raua / 6 Pronksl 10124
    Tallinn, Estonia
    372-6676032

Email - pood@stanfordmusic.ee

France
    High Tech Distribution
    10-12 rue de l’abbé Grégoire, Z.A.C. des radars
    91350 Grigny, France
    (33) 01-69-02-01-01

Email - htd2@htd.fr

Germany
    Musik Meyer GmbH
    Postfach 17 29 D-35007
    Marburg, Germany
    49-0-6421-989-0

Email - info@musik-meyer.de

Hungary
    IFK Hungária Kft. Vándor S. u. 7.
    Sopron 9400, Hungary
    003699-324-100

Email - giczikurt@vipmail.hu

I hope that these help!

3. Do the SUBs come with the same (or similar) gig bags as the other SBMM instruments?

4. BigRed93

BigRed93

Feb 11, 2012
    Nope. No bags, just the bass and a couple of tools.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Ok, I took my SUB Ray4 to a gig last and holy cow is that preamp HOT! Insanely HOT! Way way too HOT! SBMM.....may I suggest a redesign of that preamp! Folks are gonna blow something if they are not careful!! I had to bring the Gain on my amp way down, the Volume on my amp way down and the volume on the bass about halfway! I typically switch between 2 basses during gigs and this was tasking to have to adjust my amp everytime! The bass itself, played great but that preamp............whoo lawd!!

Giffro likes this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    No gig bag. Consider yourself lucky if you get it in anything more than one box with a piece of cardboard taped around the headstock.

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I "REALLY" want to play on and hear a SUB 4 !!!
    Haven't been excited to try a inexpensive instrument till now! :hyper:
    Sterling/MM are gonna sell a bunch of these!

My closest G.C. is too small to have them in stock... :crying:

8. I like my Indo import so much that I hafta ask about the USA versions. What can you tell us, SBMM?

9. Chudhole

Chudhole

May 28, 2012
    I just bought the reddish satin finish one with the rosewood fretboard. I was torn, between it and the maple neck black. In the store, the action was the same, however for some reason, the reddish one had more weight..about a half a pound to a pound. Not sure why..it was noticeable when you picked them up. I paid $279.

This is the model I bought.
    Sterling-sub-ray4-hbs-lrg-620x194.

It does run hot on the output, however I run mine into the active input on my head, which gives a -15 db cut. Which is basically perfect for this bass. You could also probably mess with your amp EQ a bit to tame it. I tend to be one of those guys that runs with everything wide open on both bass and guitar.

This quibble aside...the thing (stock) sounds effing amazing. I play in rock/blues three piece and it got nothing but rave reviews in the room. It's super easy to play, the neck has a satin, silky finish, the action is fairly low, probably could use some adjustment..however...despite some slight fret noise, it sounds great. It certainly has that stingray growl. Frankly, I probably will change nothing on it. For the money, the only other bass I own that comes close to it in dollar value is the fender squire fretless. (Quality to dollar ratio).

[​IMG]

PS..the black one sounded great as well..I just preferred the one I bought due to the slight more weight. It felt closer to the actual musicman.

PPS..Mine does have the knob issue. Only noticeable on super close inspection. Though would prefer it not to be this way lol...I'm sure many knobs dress to the left or right or vertically...but due to the reflective plate it seems easily noticeable. Mine also has a blemish on the front. I pointed it out to the sales person (Piano's N Stuff in Pittsburgh and he said, 'its a three hundred dollar bass". So no joy there. I bought it despite these flaws, because it sounded that good.

10. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I played a SUB4 this past Saturday and was pretty impressed by it. Played and sounded great.

To those that own one: how's it holding out for you? My only real concern with an instrument that cost's so little is the quality of the neck wood. You know...it plays great now but how will it be a few years down the road?

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Isn't that the honeyburst? The one you described sounds like the walnut.

12. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    So I've looked into the 'Hot' output issue that some people are talking about and will be posting a modification that can be made so that the volume VR (variable resistor aka pot) will be placed after the preamp, giving much more control over the output and a smoother sweep to the volume controls.
    This will take care of the issue that some people have been talking about.

13. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    SBMM,

Are there any mom & pop music stores in the Illinois area that would have Sub's in stock?

14. DWBass

My man! 50 Grand!! Way to go! Now this is good Customer Service!

Goy77 likes this.
  15. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Yes, here you go:

Mojo's Music
    Edwardsville, IL
    618-655-1600
    bob@mojosmusic.com

Mayberry Music & Sound
    Jonesboro, IL
    618-833-3171
    mike@mayberryonline.com

Randee's Music
    Rockford, IL
    815-399-1500
    lincoln@randeesmusic.com

Tell them I sent you!

16. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Thank-you sir!

I'll be e-mailing them to see what they've got in stock.

Thank-you again.

17. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I NEVER do that, as it just dampens the overall tone of the bass. Always run into the 0DB input to get the full effect. Just adjust the volume input on the amp.

18. DWBass

My amp is a Markbass LMIII. I had to bring the input gain down to about 10 o'clock (until I didn't see anymore clipping) and the output volume down to around 8 o'clock (pretty doggoned low) and the volume on the bass itself down to about halfway (or where I could hear a dip in volume) and it was still pretty hot!! My tech is going to perform the mod for me (until I upgrade the pre which was my plan anyway). He's an engineer and pretty much kinda figured out what was going on. He also plans to add a gain trim pot to control the clipping issue.

19. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    OK, here is the modification.

Before you start, I will warn you. If you are not familiar with basic electronic skills, don't attempt this modification. Take it to a local Guitar repair facility and have it done by a professional!

What you will need:

25K Alpha VR
    Soldering Iron
    Electronic Solder
    Heat Shrink Tubing

Attached Files:

Goy77, Giffro, NickRich and 2 others like this.
  20. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Fig 1

Attached Files:

9M2E likes this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.