1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4 and Ray5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanJD, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    Have any EBMM owners A/B'ed these with the real deal extensively yet? Or have I read it here and forgotten?

2. Is it too early to start talking about mods? Is there a preamp out there that will fit the 3-knob layout, and offer 3 bands, with sweepable mids, and a push-pull coil tap on the volume knob?

I like my WS Ray4, and get the early Flea tones out of it, but I want more. The envelope filter that I use with great success on my J basses seems nonexistant, with the stock tones available.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

The Bartolini 2.4 A/P preamp will work but the stock pickup is just a standard humbucker. You'd have to upgrade the pickup as well for coil switching.

I don't like 3 band preamps and am installing a Bart 2.3AP (Volume+Active|Passive/Treble/Bass). Will see how it goes with the stock pickup. Tuners could use upgrading as well but I'm leaving them alone for now. Just want to get away from that stock preamp which is it's weakest link.

4. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Just played a Ray5 at Guitar Center. Blown away. Couldn't put it down, despite it needing a small truss rod tweak to get the action a bit lower. Really fun to play and sounded GREAT through a Mark Bass Alain Caron combo.

I have been looking for an inexpensive 5'er to mess with but didn't really find much inspiring for the price point ($300 and under). Not too into Ibanez stuff, etc. Since I already play Stingrays I think this will be a great fit into my arsenal, plus it'll be something I'd be interested in picking up and playing.

The one I played was VERY light, and I agree that the tuners could use an upgrade, at the very least to help the balance out a bit (it felt neck-heavy to me).

Thinking about running back and grabbing it, but might hold out and wait for a Walnut (it was the black/black).

Reading the excellent, helpful posts by Customer Service in this thread has made me want one even more!

5. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Just to let you know, the Ray5 in Walnut Satin isn't carried by Guitar Center. The Walnut Satin finish is exclusive for our USA Independent Dealers.

Let me know where you are located and I can direct you to one of our USA Independent Dealers.

6. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Ah, thanks for that! Funny enough they do have the 4-string in Walnut.

I may go with the black after all. Still weighing my options...thanks! :)

7. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    The Ray4 Walnut Satin is exclusive to Guitar Center, as is the Ray5 Black.

Ray4 Honeyburst Satin and Ray5 Walnut Satin are the finishes that are exclusive to our USA Independent Dealers.

(Just to clear that one up!)

8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    HA!
    Beat me to it! I was just going to tell him the same thing. Hey what GC did you find the 5er? The one near me in Paramus only had 4 strings.

9. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    At Union Square (14th Street)...they hadn't even tagged it yet, must have just come in.

10. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I recently started playing 5 and wanted a Bongo or Sterling. But didn't want to spend the money. Tried the Ray 35 Sterling and it IS NICE, but the single pickup placement doesn't do it for me. I like P's and 5 string P's are not that common. I picked up a cheap Yamaha on the classifieds here for $325 and it does the job. I prefer it passive too.

11. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I just called Paramus, and they JUSt got a 5er in today. COOL!

12. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Hey SBMM,

What are your dealers in Colorado? Northern Denver to be specific, thanks!

13. This gives some clarity. I'm still confused by the website implying that there are USA versions of these basses. What light can be shed on that, or is it something in the works for 2013?

14. JackoBass

JackoBass

May 13, 2010
    That's the GC I go to too :D Sometimes they have some good used diamonds in the rough.

15. Not sure if you guys have seen this - but a nice demo of the 4 string Sub SBMM.

Sounds pretty good straight out the box to me!

16. moten33

moten33

Jan 7, 2012
    Albion, NY
    I'll chime in again on these. I have the WS 4 and it is beautiful. It sounds great too. I get a bunch of compliments on my Feder Jazz but everyone I see makes some comment about my WS 4. Even the girlfriend who was pissed I bought the bass when I have too many said today "I am still pissed you bought it but I really like that bass". Can't beat that!

17. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA

It means those are the versions being sold in the US in comparison to versions/colors sold elsewhere in the world.

18. I want SBMM's answer. Unless you, Bufalo, are also an employee, your response is mere speculation that an 8-year-old could see through.

19. I'm quite certain Bufalo is right.

There won't be any US made versions. It's just that there are different colour combinations (some of which are exclusive to certain retailers) available in US vs International markets.

20. silentmike

silentmike

May 20, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    The guy is right. In the UK, we don't have the honey burst Ray4, we have a walnut stain one instead. And our Ray5 is the black and maple one, not walnut stain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.