1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4 and Ray5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanJD, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Fig 2

Attached Files:

9M2E likes this.
  2. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Fig 3

Attached Files:

9M2E likes this.
  3. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Fig 4

Attached Files:

9M2E likes this.
  4. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Fig 5

Attached Files:

9M2E likes this.
  5. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Fig 6

Attached Files:

9M2E likes this.
  6. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Fig 7

Attached Files:

9M2E likes this.
  7. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Fig 8

Attached Files:

9M2E likes this.
  8. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Fig 9

Attached Files:

9M2E likes this.
  9. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    So, that completes the modification.
    This will work on ALL of the SUB SERIES, which includes, RAY4, RAY5 and SB4.

I hope that this helps all of you who are experiencing a 'HOT' output issue!

9M2E likes this.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Thank you so much! This has been a great help! My tech thanks you as well!

11. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    JMHO, but that is one UGLY solder job, and won't last too long.

12. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Sorry, I'm not VP of Soldering, just showing the example of how the mod is done ;)

13. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I understand. Just my old electronics teacher echoing in my brain.

14. DWBass

My tech performed the mod inside of an hour and all is well for now! I'm still planning to replace the preamp but this affords me the opportunity to play the bass out for a little while.

Thanks again, SBMM!

15. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    That's my local mom n pop too! Surprising that they gave you that response to the blemish. They are usually over-protective of their instruments to begin with to prevent that but they tend to be a little more helpful than that. I need to head over there and check these out ASAP.

[/derail]

16. martyonbass

martyonbass

Dec 16, 2009
    So is anyone UNhappy with this bass a week after purchase? Or has it stood up after the honeymoon?

17. DWBass

Now that I have done the preamp mod, I'm happy! In any case, I was planning to change the preamp anyway! It's a decent solid giggable bass. And a prime candidate for upgrading if one wishes! Not bad for $279 ($251 in my case).

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Newb question: The pickup is really, really close to the strings so I tried lowering it. The one screw on the right makes it go down just fine but the two on the left don't seem to do anything. Is it supposed to be high? Am I not lowering it correctly?

19. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    There is foam with a spring inside of it under the pickups. If you need to lower it further, remove the pickup and pull the springs out of the foam. That will allow lower adjustment of the pickup.

20. recycled rocker

recycled rocker

Dec 22, 2010
    illinois
    I bought a black and maple ray4 and was surprised that i dint see what most are raving about first off the nut was hanging over the bass end and 1/16 of an inch and about 1/8 over on the treble side no biggie i thought. so out came the tools. The fret ends were very sharp so some fret filling was done along with work on the nut. I figured i was being nit picky no big deal so while i had tools out i just did a complete setup. Adjusted the trussrod new strings set the string height and intonation. It was starting to play pretty nice with some work. Then all 3 pots stopped working no volume control or tone control.i broke the tools back out and removed the controls to find that 2 screws were already stripped on the control cover ehh nothing a little ca glue cant fix. Found the cause of the problem with no controls was a pickup wire was shorting across the volume pot. Fixed that and luckily the preamp wasnt blown. Now i must say after about 5 hours of work it plays and sounds very good. I am assuming i just received a bad one. A couple of issues a few others have noted i looked into on my bass. One was the pots shafts being bent. I removed the knobs and checked the shafts and they were straight but with the knobs on they wobble looks to me that the wobble is in the knob itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.