1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling Ray24?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by outoftune, Mar 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Anyone have any first hand info on these basses? I'm liking the price point compared to the Ray34 and am considering one. But, there is limited info and only two video demos out there.

2. Subscribed!

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Also very interested in hearing from others with first hand experience on these. From what I'm understanding it's like a Classic version of the Ray 34 with a slimmer neck at the nut. 2 band EQ instead of 3, and I noticed it has the slab body with no cutouts on the back.

outoftune likes this.
  4. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    Sub'd as well.

5. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I ordered one. So, I'll be the guinea pig on this one. Should be here Saturday. Stay tuned.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  6. Sweet! Let us know what you think. The price point is giving me an itch I want to scratch. I believe the two band eq is more like the original Stingrays from the 70's.

outoftune likes this.
  7. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Pretty good demo video

klaymaster, petch and MysticSandwich like this.
  8. I think it sounds pretty awesome! Hoping to get one of these or a Ray 34 soon.

9. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    So the bass came in today. It was packed well with cardboard around all major parts and packed in a box then packed in a box. It arrived set up pretty well and just about in tine. I like low action and this one arrived nice and low. I got the butterscotch and it's a a beautiful finish in person. The maple neck feels good with no sharp fret ends. It is nice and smooth
    Sound:
    I used both my Ampeg V4B and Fender 100T into two Ampeg 210AV's. The bass is active, loud and powerful. Right off the bat I noticed it was very nasally. It took me a minute but it sounds like the tone roll off of a P bass. I have never had a classic Stingray so I really do not have a reference. I have only used HH and 3 band. Is this the sound of a classic Stingray?
    Overall for the money it is a great instrument. I have been on a giant jazz kick and am not sure I will be keeping this bass. The jazz just seems to have a more balanced sound. Not sure I am going to be able to live with the mid scoop. It just seems out of balance for me.

eriky4003 and Bass V like this.
  10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    it seems that's the overall sound of a MM but it is NOT the term I want to hear regarding any bass I'm interested in!

11. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    It's a weird sound. It's almost muffled. The best I can say is take a stingray and pull the tone back like a P bass but still get the Stingray sound under it.

Bass V likes this.
  12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    it might just be a string thing. I've had luck lessening what I consider nasally with a different set but it could get costly to find the right strings to bring out the sound you want IF it can even be had should that nasal weirdness be this bass' inherent sound. the few videos don't say it is, they sound pretty good, so that would be my first consideration.

eriky4003 likes this.
  13. OP, I liked your post but not happy about your initial thoughts on the bass...
    Bass V's suggestion for new strings may be the cure.

14. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Jazz is the quintessential scoop tone IMO (both pups on, out of phase thing, singling pups on a jazz never did much for me and was always meh), which is why I went back to Stingrays (and Ps, which I never left). So, yea.. Different folks huh xD

No need to crank the preamp though, that's where the scoop happens (which is awesome in its own right too). Might be a strings thing too, but strings (EB Super Slinky) usually last about 5 months on my rays. Love the old school ray tone you get with broken in nickel rounds.

Rompin Roddy and outoftune like this.
  15. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    In the Patrick Hunter video at around the 2:50 mark you can hear what I am talking about. He is not using the Darkglass and the bass is set flat. You can hear the muted tone.
    I am finding that if I roll the bass back a touch it boosts the mids.

16. bassmman

bassmman

Feb 2, 2013
    Hello, what is the weight of your bass? Thanks.

17. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    So I am starting to bond with this bass in a big way. I’ve had to sit down and twiddle the knobs a bit to find what I was looking for. Rolling up the treble and leaving the bass at noon or rolling the bass down a tad is the sweet spot for me. Punchy, sizzly bass
    I brought pics this time.
    And thanks @mouthmw for the tips.

B72A7C49-BBE7-4A94-8F29-9E5DE524A04F.

Attached Files:

18. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    No problem man, enjoy that bass! It's a beautiful specimen for sure!
    One thing you might find out as well, rays are fantastic in a live setting, they really kick some serious booty when loud! :) That's when you realize just how punchy they get.

outoftune likes this.
  19. That's the trick with the 2 band Ray - it works to an extent with both tone controls. The other way, presuming your amp has plenty of mid range control is to do it there - I sometimes find having the bass full on the guitar, treble rolled to about 90% and upper mid on the amp boosted does the trick.

However even with the scooped Stingray sound (EQ maxed), you'll find it will cut through as far as audience sound is concerned, even if you don't feel that standing 2 ft in front of your amp.

Glad you're enjoying your bass.

mouthmw and outoftune like this.
  20. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    as it came, out of the box? that would be even sweeter!