1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling SUB ray4 changes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fatcat1, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Fatcat1

Fatcat1

Mar 12, 2018
    Hi Gang... new to the forum... hope this post is ok... let me know if I mucked it up...thanks!

Looking online I see that the Sterling Ray4 SUBs are being replaced by the Sterling Ray4. The differences I see is no "SUB" on the headstock label, 21 frets instead of 22 and a 9.5 inch radius instead of 12 inch on the sub. Some finish color changes to... I also see at my online dealer that the prices are about 10% lower than the SUBs were priced at.

I have a sub now, vintage cream with the rosewood neck but was considering another with a maple neck... maybe the mint green or sunburst. My dilemma is do I buy one of the SUB models, which I know are very good (at least the one I have is) or is there an advantage to buying the new model other than the reduced price? I know my SUB was made in China and the quality is top notch... not sure about the build quality of new models? I have read somewhere that some of the Sterling line is made in Korea, which I hear is of excellent quality. I have to wonder if the pickups might be improved in the new line although nothing wrong with the one I have... it sounds great. I guess the other factor is weight. For some reason I dont see many sites, including sterlings own site, listing weights?

Any comments would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance for chiming in.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  2. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Welcome to talkbass! Sterling used to have a executive that would answer all these questions for us, sadly he was let go. Where did you get the info about the updated models having 21 frets and a different radius?

SBMM likes this.
  3. my sub5 weighs 8lb 4.75oz

4. Fatcat1

Fatcat1

Mar 12, 2018
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's a different bass. The SUB is still the SUB. That's the Sterling Ray 4. Sterling also still makes the SUB line and not much has changed besides the color offerings as far as I know.

6. Fatcat1

Fatcat1

Mar 12, 2018
    Thanks... It is a little different but not much and I dont see the SUB anymore on the sterling site!:help:

7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    This is going to get confusing...EBMM, US EBMM SUB, SBMM, SBMM SUB, SBMM Ray4........
    Perhaps Sterling's going to do away with the SUB line eventually as it's pretty silly to have a SUB and Ray4 at roughly the same price point with little difference.

RyanJD and bordinco90 like this.
  8. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    No, the SUB has been renamed the StingRay Ray4. You’re thinking of the Ray34, which retains its original name. If you look closely at the headstock of the StingRay Ray4, you will see the words «SUB SERIES» in tiny lettering. «Confused? Not after this week’s episode of SUB!»

51F64620-112D-493F-843A-508D048DB192.

Giffro, Aqualung60, RyanJD and 3 others like this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    No ****. I stand corrected. It looked cooler with the big SUB instead of all that. There's too many words and fonts.

10. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I had one in my hands at the London Bass Guitar Show recently, and didn’t even see the «SUB SERIES» legend until it was pointed out to me. You’ve got to hand it to SBMM, just as you thought it couldn’t get more confusing, they took it up a notch. :D

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Wonder how many people who buy it will sand the "SUB Series" off ala Fender "Squier Series"?

I'm guessing it'll make it that much more appealing to people who were perhaps overly self-conscious about having a "SUB" decal in bold letters on the headstock.

SBMM likes this.
  12. I had a hard enough time keeping up with this so I'm totally lost. The one good thing here is that I was considering a S.U.B. series in mint green and I see that Musicians Friend is out of stock until mid April. I'm guessing that's due to the new series being released. If these have a 9.5" radius, that's closer to a jazz, correct? Were the previous S.U.B. models a 12" radius?

13. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    The part I found the most puzzling is that in one swift move by calling the line "STERLING by Musicman", they immediately cheapened the Music Man Sterling model in the minds of many ignorant people.

When I was selling a Sterling several months ago, I got SOOOO many Craigslist messages from people confused on why I'm trying to sell an instrument "Worth only a few hundred" for nearly a grand.

fuzzychaos, vatic, Aqualung60 and 5 others like this.
  14. I'm not surprised. I don't' own any Sterling or MM bass, but the naming is quite confusing.

I see that Musician's Friend still has the old picture and lists a 12" radius. If these come out with a 9.5" radius in mint green, I'll be snagging one immediately.

15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    No joke about the confusion...a couple of years ago I responded to a CL posting for a Stingray SUB bass for $170 -the post had no pictures (in this day and age of cell phone cameras, that was a little surprising). I have to mention that in the ad, it mentioned something about a custom "metal" pickguard. I was wondering....what if...nah, can't be, for the price it's probably a black SBMM Made in Indonesia SUB. It wasn't...instead I got this.

13895017_10210836006364810_7600758304752552592_n.

16. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I am also considering either one of these subs or a ray 24ca, just to add to the whole mess :D

Does anyone know if the hot preamp issue has been resolved in the new sub series?
    yup that is an actual MusicMan SUB, not Sterling at all. I had one and hated the textured finish on it, btw the pickguard is actually cardboard lol

eriky4003 likes this.
  17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The made in China SUB addressed the problems the earlier released Made in Indonesia SUBs had with the preamp. I imagine these new Ray 4 (formerly SUB) is like the Chinese ones and have the upgraded preamp.

So, it's like this:-
    Earlier models -Sterling SUB (Made in Indonesia) - possible hot preamp issue.
    Recent version-Sterling SUB (Made in China) - preamp issue fixed.
    Newest version-Sterling Ray 4-Sub series in small font on headstock ( Made in ?) - slimmer neck radius. 21 frets instead of 22.

Yep, regarding the pickguard on the MM SUB . It is cheap, that was the first thing I addressed, I picked up two pickguards, one black and a black pearloid. Other than that, the thing plays great.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Aqualung60 and pudgychef like this.
  18. Wow.. It's been said multiple times in this thread already, but the nomenclature for these various lines of instruments is beyond confusing!

vatic, Laurie Bass and Fun Size Nick like this.
  19. I've got an original MM SUB, fretless 5 string. The neck is absolutely gorgeous, and it's got a really nice set of passive tone controls, with separate treble and bass cuts. I also swapped out the pickguard, after attempting a go at spray-painting it - still hated it!

Maxdusty likes this.
  20. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    That's a ridiculously awesome deal.

Maxdusty likes this.