1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steve Vai's Frank Zappa Audition Story

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jloch86, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    Has nothing to do with bass, but it does have to do with music and I think any bass player can appreciate a good audition story:

2. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    From what I heard, Zappa was notorious for this stuff. You had to come correct.

3. I'd be sunk as soon as he said, "Play this"

4. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    Yeah. I think Zappa knew right away he was going to hire Steve. All the 7/8 reggae stuff was just Zappa screwing with him.

5. kiat

kiat

Aug 31, 2010
    Mons, Belgium
    Steve Vai's audition story was hilarious and instructive for me that only very good players have a chance of showing some their best at an audition like that. ie try auditioning at your level or just above. Playing only random songs, then some crazy line, add injected notes, then add 7/8, then add reggae style and being on it at every step! That world is a million miles away from mine and all the more entertaining for it. Thanks for sharing the video - this has whetted my appetite for more audition stories :bassist: