Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stew McKinsey Trust Fund

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Whappo Grande, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    We’ve been thinking about what could be done to help in addition to all the heartfelt prayers that have been offered up for fellow bass player Stew McKinsey, one of the many victims of Hurricane Katrina?

AccuGroove just opened up a trust fund account today for our good friend Stew. Anyone wanting to contribute can mail checks or money orders made out to "Stew McKinsey Trust Fund" or you can contribute with most major credit cards.

100% of the money will go towards helping Stew offset his losses during this horrible tragedy. Any amount will help, because it all adds up.

Mailing address:
    Stew McKinsey Trust Fund
    2912 Scott Blvd.
    Santa Clara, CA 95054

God bless,
    Mark Wright
    Manager, co-designer & bass player
    AccuGroove Speaker Cabinets
    Toll Free: 1-866-4 Whappo
    Email: info@accugroove.com

Stew McKinsey's Web Site

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    HAVE YOU HEARD FROM STEW!??!!

I've been real worried! I posted in his forum @ bassnutz.com the other day... and in the NOLA thread here on TB.

3. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Stickied here in Bassists for Stew :(

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, I'm waiting to hear from Stew, but I'm sure right now logging on to TB is the least of his worries. I had just spoke to him about heading into NOLA to hang for a bit this Christmas when we are in the area visiting my in-laws. I doubt that things will be even started to be recovered by then if timlines from Andrew and some of the other recent similar events are any indication. They are looking at YEARS of recovery. Stew's the only TB'er I know personaly from the NOLA area, but I'm sure there are others and my thoughts and prayers are with them all. I've been too busy the past few days to weigh in on the other Katrina related threads, but when I saw this title I thought that something tragic had happened. I'm glad that this is being started up spontaneously and not in response to specifiic circumstances. Let's just hope that Stew got out while the getting was good.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

OMG! :eek: Didn't know about this. It's hard for me to help from here, but I deeply hope that Stew is OK. I'm really worried about him.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I know some people that jam with him.... I've got some calls out to them now.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    here is what I received this evening via the "Anthony Jackson Yahoo Group":

Glad to hear that he is safe!

9. Thank you, Lord! So glad to hear that Stew is safe!!

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Out-f***ing-standing! :D

I sent Stew a PM, saying it's gonna be a great day when I finally get a response from him. Well, the great day has come early, before his being able to respond.

I was just watching folks being rescued from rooftops, and was overwhelmed with emotions as I thought of Stew, praying that he was okay. Then I came upstairs to check for any news and here it is! :hyper:

11. Rickenbacker7

Rickenbacker7

Jan 17, 2003
    California
    In case no one here has gotten the GOOD NEWS, Stew is alive and well and in Texas as I type with his cousin Steve. He will be flying up to New Hampshire as soon as he is able to travel to be with his folks. His beloved dog Jaxon, however, is either at-large or was left behind somewhere and my heart breaks for Stew on this regard, as I know how close he was to Jaxon. Please donate whatever you can to the Stew McKinsey Trust Fund to help Stew regain his footing in this terrible tragedy.
    thank you- and thank you Mark for giving me the good news and to Mark Wright for setting up the fund.
    Jana
    please see the other posts for the link to the fund.

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Jana, Mark, Mark W., Stew's Mom & Dad,

I'm in CT, so please don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything I can do for Stew while he's chillin' at home. There's lots of us TBers here in New England and when and if he's up for it, we can get together for a "life is good" type of hang.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
  14. Rickenbacker7

Rickenbacker7

Jan 17, 2003
    California
    James and Craig,
    I think that part of the money sent to the main fund for Stew he could use somehow to look for Jaxon. I don't know. I wrote to him but am not expecting anything from him until he is rested and settled. Being a registered veterinary technician I know what animals go through in these kinds of crises' and so I am even more sensitive to what poor Jax is most likely experiencing. I know the most important thing is that Stew is alive and well, but Jaxon was family, not just a disposable item like the Ntl Guard and other powers to be treat them like. Either way, I appreciate the thoughts and love everyone is sending to Stew and to Jaxon. If I only had wings, I would fly there and pluck him up myself and take him to Stew... ah ya welll......... :(
    Keep the mighty Jax in your prayers as well please? I know I am...
    Jana

15. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    We just set up a PayPal account, but we would rather email the address individually to people than have it posted on a site.

Bless you,
    Mark
    AccuGroove Speaker Cabinets

16. Rickenbacker7

Rickenbacker7

Jan 17, 2003
    California
    I understand totally- is the for the regular fund? I would lke to paypal some right away if that is possible. I will not post anything about it.
    Bless you for starting this for Stew!!
    Jana

17. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
  18. effbee

effbee

Mar 9, 2002

I don't think I'll wait to see if Stew's BEE's are OK. It could take months before we know anything. I'm getting started on an 8 string for Stew ASAP. We can hope for the best, but I can't imagine that his axes made it through that mess.

Hey James, Larry Davis from Gallery Hardwoods just left my shop, and he said he would donate the wood for Stews bass. Let me know if you have some suggestions for what would look cool. It needs to be a workhorse, but I want to do something that looks special too. I'll see if other vendors will donate parts.

I'm sure there are lots of other players who may have lost gear in the storm (or worse, their lives, or the lives of loved ones), and I wish we could help all of them. I don't want anyone to think that Stew is more deserving than anyone else. He's a very close friend of mine, and he has played my basses almost from the beginning. I don't have the means to do much, but I can do this for my friend.

Big thanks to Mark & Susie for setting up the trust fund!

Thanks to Larry for donating the wood!

Please pray for Jaxon!!

Fred
    BEE

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Hey Fred, I hope Larry took some good photos! I've been waiting to get the Tour together for your shop like I did for when he visited Chris B.

I was figuring hitting Larry with some cash / bartering to pay for some of Stew's wood. Like you, I cannot do too much... but I'll do what I can as well.

As far as look, I don't know Stew's tastes well enough to pick for him. Personally I love the figured Bubinga Larry gets, and the Maple burls are pretty outragous too.

I'll email you on this later or tomorrow.

20. Rickenbacker7

Rickenbacker7

Jan 17, 2003
    California