Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart 1.6 at 2 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peabody, Jul 7, 2004.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Advice?...

I have a Demeter VTBP 201s on the way and now I'm looking for a decent power amp. I'm looking at a Stewart 1.6, but according to the specs it's not rated at 2 ohms. I have 2 - 4 ohm cabs (an Eden 410XLT and an Aguilar GS212) and I'd like to run them both. Has anyone run the Stewart at 2 ohms? I'm also considering the Mackie 1400i, but I'm not too crazy about the weight. Any other suggestions in a lightweight amp that can handle the 2 ohm load and is still under 500 bucks (used)? Thanks....

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I don't know of any amps that'll run 2 ohms bridged, but most decent power amps will run 2 ohms on each channel (though with your 4 ohm cabs you could just run one cab on each channel @ 4 ohms).

My Acmes are both 4 ohms so rather than running a smaller amp bridged I've ended up running a larger amp in 'stereo' - in my case a QSC PLX3002 pushing 900W into each channel rather than just getting a PLX1602 running 1600W in total bridged.

The Stewart 2.1 should do 650W @ 4 ohms into each cab quite happily.

Alex

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You have two 4-ohm cabinets? That'll work, because the Stewart 1.6 is a two-channel amp, so you can connect one cab to each channel. Then you don't need a 2-ohm capability in the amp.

4. skinnypete

skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have been looking into purchasing a Demeter VTBP 201S. I have also heard great things about Stewart power amps.

Then I read this quote from a testimonial:

“I needed a unit with balanced line level output(-10db)... which I thought it had. But since there is no manual available for the unit because of it's simplicity, I misinterpreted "balanced studio output" as said on the Demeter website. This is a mic level(+4db)output that is not compatible (or useable rather) with my Stewart power amp because it's to quiet”

Is the VTBP 201S only designed for studio use or can you also run a power amp with it for live situations? Is this issue only with certain power amps?

Unfortunately, Demeter doesn’t have a manual with specs.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    IIRC, Demeter preamps have balanced outputs that are capable of pretty hot levels, comparable to what a good mixing board or other linel-level pro gear can do.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    jeepers creepers.

both the stewart 1.6 and 2.1 will run at 2 ohms per side, or 4 ohms bridged mono. Like bob said, if you have two 4 ohm cabs, just run the stewart in stereo.

the demeter 201s has two line level 1/4" outputs, and the stewarts have line level 1/4 inputs. The outputs on the 201s are unbalanced (t/s) and i belive the inputs on the stew are balanced (t/r/s) but that doesn't matter. regular 1/4" instrument cord works just fine. I use my 2.1 with an old 201 1 and a half space in just that way.

I'm not sure what they were getting at in that testimonial. The stewart has balanced xlr inputs as well, but using a demeter preamp you don't need them. The XLR out on the 201s is a mic level (-10dB) balanced signal for use as a "direct box" The HBP1 also has a balanced XLR out, but it doesn't have the nifty jensen transformer that the 201s has. IIRC, the HBP1 only has one 1/4" unbalanced line out, but a y cord will let you run a signal to both sides of the stewart in stereo mode, and if you run it bridged mono, you only need to use the input of channel #1. The HBP1 also has a balanced TRS 1/4" output. That might be a -10dB signal. IIRC, you can't use that to drive a poweramp.

Ok that was long winded, but the bottom line is you have no worries.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    actually those are only available as a mod by demeter called "the nashville mod". I called a while ago because when recording i still need to go thru a mic pre if i want to go direct to tape. IIRC, they dont put a -10/+4 switch on the XLR, but actually put in another XLR with a +4 signal so you have both, like an avolon U5. However, they might only do that for the older model like i have, they might put a switch on the newer versions.

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh, peabody. BTW. You won't find poweramps that can run at 2 ohms bridged. that would be 1 ohm per side. Actually you can. crown makes them and i'm sure qsc might too. Theyre huge, heavy, and crazy expensive. If you don't need to run sound at madison square garden, you don't need one.

9. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Wow, this thread was resurrected from the dead. I got my Demeter and Stew about 6 months ago and both are working fine. I ran the Stew in stereo and it kicked butt. (even though as some of my other threads have said...I'd be willing to trade the them both for an Aguilar DB 750). The Aguilar itch needs to be scratched.