1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sting Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassicsax, Sep 16, 2008.

1. bassicsax

bassicsax Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    So ive been looking into getting a sting bass lately, i love everything about it except for one thing. The hideous sting sig inlay. I have heard that there is somebody on this thread that has had it removed and replaced with a black block. Does anybody have any ideas how much this might cost? Or does anybody who has had this done have any pictures also?

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The Stinglay can easily be covered with tape or paint.

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio

That "stinglay" is whats kept me from buying one.
    Thats just about as bad as that "gedd-i-graph" on the back of that black Jazz Bass head stock.

4. "stinglay haters" again :) it's interesting why you discuss it instead of buying just regular '51 reissue :)

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Probably because this Sting bass is not based on a '51, but on a '54, which is quite different.

6. Contour a '51 :)))

7. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    The 54 body is very nice.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    IMHO, a good luthier could rid a neck of this "ornament." Either the inlay could be replaced with wood matching the neck, or something else as desired.

While you were at it, you could get the frets crowned, and the neck refinished in nitro. I might even consider a change of pickup and addition of the bridge cover and pickup cover.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Or you could just build yourself a '54 with Warmoth parts.

10. I personally don't care about "stinglay", I upgraded my Fender Sting with Pearl Pickguard, Deluxe bridge & Nordstrand pu, imo looks & sounds nice )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SOUND

11. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    "Down with Tori Spelling, down with the Stinglay!"

12. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    I own one and don't really give the Sting-lay much thought. I just love the way it feels, plays and sounds. IMHO it's a beautiful bass.

Just put a couple of black dots on the inlay and spray a tinted poly over it to camo it a little. :smug:

large.

13. bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    For me its the lack of the contour in the body, and I know I could have it contoured or build one from a warmoth body, but i think it would just be cheeper and easier to get the stinglay removed. At least that is what I was thinking, so does anybody have an idea how much it would cost?

14. bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    oh yeah and down with the stinglay!!!!

15. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    I bought a '51 and a Sting, swapped necks and sold the '51 with the Sting neck.

16. bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    that is way more than i have to put in upfront...

do you have any pics though?

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My advice: get over it. Or get a '51 reissue, they're very similar to the Sting.

18. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Then get over it!!!!!

It's a great bass. I bought mine because it's the most alive and resonant solid body instrument I've ever played. I don't look at the neck when I'm playing, and I'll bet that folks watching you play (assuming you ever do actaully gig) won't be looking at the 12th fret either.

Play the flipping instrument, don't look at it.

jte

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Once again: the '51 has a completely different body than the Sting bass.

20. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    My problem with the Sting bass, and the reason I don't own one is...they don't come in lefty. I could care less about the inlay.