Stingray Issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smokecell4u, Jun 10, 2005.

1. :bassist: Now before I am crucified for this, I have checked all of the forums and have yet to see this question asked....
    I received my like-new-but-still-considered-used 2004 Stingray. I love the tone, which I new I would since I have played them before, however I am having some trouble with playability. Its seems that my fingers lose their speed and accuracy. I thought it was the jump in neck size, but I have played bigger and rounder and it never bothered me. I contacted the guy I got it from and he told me the string size is 110-55 Ernie Balls. I'm not exactly new to bass playing, and the only thing I can think of is the strings. Nothing else would disturb my playing this much, but even the strings theory seems a bit too simple for this. Any suggestions....comments.....?? :bassist:
  2. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Put on a set of your normal strings and see how it plays, I guess. 110 is heavy gauge, I think.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Those are pretty heavy strings. It can make a HUGE difference. Get a set of medium lights, 45 - 105. Have someone set the bass up also if you don't know how to do it. If you change the string guage without resetting up the bass your going to get into different problems.
  4. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    All the stingrays that come from the factory to our store have .40 -.100 guage strings. You can set them up with just about any gauge strings however. You might be suffering from finger fatigue. Get the bass set up with the guage you like and I'll bet you'll be happier.
  5. :bassist: I have been playing Elixir Medium Lights for the past 6 years. I think its a combo of the bungi cord size strings and the action. I already lowered the action to about an eigth of an inch or so, which is what I'm used to, and I re-dressed the frets as soon as I got it. I guess I did everything but the obvious. DOH!!!!Getting new strings in about an hour. I will let you guys know how it turns out, but I'm almost positive thats it. Thanks. :bassist:
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    It's actually 45 - 100 that they're shipped with.
  7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've been putting 40-95 gauge Rotosounds on my basses lately. They're noticeably lighter, but the playability is through the roof (at least for someone like me who does TONS of bends and vibratos)
  8. :bassist: Well, I put the new strings on, and it did make a big difference (duh). Now my problem is getting my action right. I lowered it to where I need it, but then I noticed bad string vibration against my last fret when I go anywhere higher than my 9th on my A & D strings. Now keep in mind that I like pretty low action, something that Stingray's aren't famous for but I thought I would still be able to make due. Guess not. Its a shame to, because I really love the tone. Ah well. Win some lose some. :bassist:
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Did you adjust your neck for the new strings? It might take a few days, but you'll definitely need some trussrod adjustment.
  10. :bassist: No, I didn't. I will give that a shot. But from what it looks like, unless I rip the last fret out of the damn thing (which is entirely out of the question), there is no way I am going to fix it. :bassist:
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I suggest it, since after having heavy strings set up properly, putting light strings on the bass without adjustment would mean you'd have something similar to back-bow...and having a buzz on the upper frets would be a symptom of that.
  12. :bassist: I will give it a shot. I'm letting sit over night. First thing in the morning I will get to it. I really appreciate your help man. :bassist:
  13. I had a hell of a time setting up my Stingray as well. I adjusted the neck and action and when it got too low, it would buzz like crazy in a few spots. I kept messing with it over a few days and ended up with a GREAT playing bass! No more buzz and decent action. Certainly low enough.

These basses seem to be pretty touchy or something. I've never had that much trouble getting it just right.

14. :bassist: I know. I'm not giving up quite yet. Like a good woman, you do everything you can to make it work before trading it in. I have always been pretty confident it my ability to tool most basses, but this thing is driving me nuts. :bassist:
  15. I've just gotten a SR5 lately, changing strings/gauges hasn't been a problem. Just a light twist on the truss rod, and I've been getting the action stupid low, no fret buzz problems...

And definitely adjust the truss rod tonight, it'll take overnight or so for it to stop moving from the tension change. That way you'll be ready to try it tomorrow.

If you adjust tomorrow, you'll have to wait until the next day to try it. No sense testing it until the neck settles.

16. Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I have to tinker with my ray every now and then, especially after putting on new strings. Not the greatest action and tends to buzz a little (even when set up properly). But when it's plugged in the thing sounds awesome.
  17. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

You get it on ebay? I think I may have bid on that bass.
  18. :bassist: No, I didn't get it on Ebay. Got it from somebody on talkbass. Hell of a deal.
    Update: Woke up this morning and tweaked the truss rod, then readjusted my bridge, then tweaked the truss rod yet again. The whole process took about an hour and 3 cups of coffee, but it plays great now. Still a tiny bit too high, but very comfortable nonetheless. Problem solved. Tragedy avoided. Plays great.....Sounds even better. Thanks for everybodies help. :bassist:
  19. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I've yet to adjust the truss rod [since the initial setup] since i bought my Ray5. I've had it for about 2 and a half years, it's going in for a fret dress here soon. The first fret has developed notch like things that you can feel along with there being what i consider substantial amount of wear on the frets-some have defined spots where they are flattened off from being played. Pretty good considering that in the time that i've had it-it only had steels on for about 2 months and the rest of the time it's been light gauge 5 string sets. :bassist:
  20. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Sometimes the climate change can really screw up a neck too. This hot humid weather is really playing havoc on my G&L. Especially going from air conditioning to a hot car then to a humid club then to AC again. The neck is going crazy!!! hahaha