Stingray maple neck question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Just got a Stingray with a maple neck. (excellent bass I must say!)It's the factory sanded finish. The neck gets dirty very easily. I used a little lem-oil and gently scrubbed w/ a toothbrush when I changed the strings and it cleaned up fine. I wash my hands each and every time before playing and after two gigs it's lookin' pretty grubby. I've read other concerns with this and I'm just wondering if it's normal for these necks or does it need to be treated or sealed? Or????
  2. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    from the Ernie Ball website (FAQ ;))

Q: How do I maintain the neck on my new Music Man bass?

A: To clean the neck, use a small dose of high-grade lemon oil. If the neck is very dirty, give us a call or email us at

Since the neck is unfinished, it is more susceptible to humidity changes. A very infrequent dose of gunstock oil will help to keep the neck maintained; we recommend Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work. Clean neck first. Use a small amount of Tru-oil, leave it on for 5 minutes, then wipe it off with a paper towel. Then apply Birchwood-Casey Tru-Wax. Be sure to douse the paper towel with water before disposing of it! Read the wax and oil manufacturer's instructions regarding disposal of these used paper towels.

Birchwood-Casey products are available at most sporting goods or gun stores. Their web address is

Rosewood fingerboards should not be treated with gunstock oil; instead they should be treated with a high grade of lemon oil.

For cleaning, try using the same high grade of lemon oil to clean the entire neck, both maple and rosewood fretboards. Keep in mind that if the dirt or grease has been worked into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend unless exercised with extremely fine sandpaper (1200-1600 grit), and even then very sparingly. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps! Some discoloration after many hours of playing is normal on unfinished necks. Be sure to follow all of the manufacturers recommended safety precautions when using any of these oils or waxes.

cheers :bassist:
  3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    An oil-finished neck is different than a lacquer or polyurethane finished neck. If it is oil (which is probably why it gets dirty fast) you can use Murphy's oil soap on there. Get some Birchwood Casey Gunstock oil to re-coat it afterwards. I believe Ernie Ball uses this stuff as their oil finish of choice.

4. Thanks for the responses, I knew TBer's could help!