1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray popularity decline?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nomaj, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Scott Ball

Scott Ball Commercial User

Jun 13, 2018
    Ernie Ball Music Man
    Your time will come sooner than you think..I can feel it.

HD007, JoeWPgh and Jeff Scott like this.
  2. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    It makes sense to me as a drummer all the high end drums have low-mass hardware for maximum wood resonance. When I came over to bass land y’all had it all backwards talking about how badass your hardware was :roflmao:

Jeff Scott likes this.
  3. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Marketing and high profile users will sell basses, I think. At least outside TB :)

4. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    For me as a non SR lover, what I appreciate about them is the HH pickups and pickup spacing. I always check out basses that have HH SR style pickups.

5. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I used to believe that high-mass cast bridges were superior. Then I learned otherwise.

Bassbeater likes this.
  6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I used to think that too, but now I think surface contact is the thing. The difference between a bent plate Fender and a bent plate Lakland is the greater surface contact. Every high mass bridge I can think of is larger than a Fender bent plate. Again, more surface contact.

Bassbeater likes this.
  7. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I think maybe structural rigidity may be what I'm actually going for. I don't find that in typical bent plate designs.

8. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    When I get tired of my cobbled together J-Ray
    JRay1.
    It's at the top of my list

9. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Scott, my main bass is a Classic Sabre which I love, wish they weren’t gone, but I get it. But, I think you have really created a new huge wave of interest with the Special, you are correct, this is the first new bass I have had any interest in in literally decades. Now, we just need to work on the neck and color combos. Great colors and great necks, just not paired in ways I would really like. Truly nit picking!!

10. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    It’s my understanding that rolled metal plate is stronger than cast metal. Cast metals do not have the grain structure that rolled and forged materials do. There’s more mass in cast bridges — and they look pretty, too — but they are not necessarily stronger.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  11. Scott Ball

Scott Ball Commercial User

Jun 13, 2018
    Ernie Ball Music Man
    32 combinations for each 4 and 5 string! 64 total!! Hopefully there is ONE you can fall for! :)

12. maplenecked

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    Let me know when you get tired of that cool lookin bass!

JoeWPgh likes this.
  13. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    You mean the bridge that was originally on the Music Man Sabre?

Bassbeater likes this.
  14. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    True, but a tobacco burst Cutlass with a maple neck, and a black Caprice with a maple neck, would really tip the balance.

lowdownthump and maplenecked like this.
  15. maplenecked

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    Nothing beats the vintage satin tint on those Cutlasses/Caprices

lowdownthump and Wood and Wire like this.
  16. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    The one thing that I have always wondered about with the Stingrays is why they went away from having string through body bridges? My Stingray Classic has one and I totally prefer that style bridge over a standard bridge.

17. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    You would think!! What I really want is the Cruz Teal with a maple fretboard. Oh well, we all have to compromise sometimes!

Scott Ball likes this.
  18. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Good question, especially since that's the way that Mr. Fender originally designed it.

Ikkir and Bassist Jay like this.
  19. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    When I was playing Music Man basses, I preferred the more modern Stingrays over the Stingray Classic because they had natural necks as opposed to gloss necks. Tummy cut and forearm cut on the body, making the ergonomics of the bass more comfortable and I like the 3 band eq over the 2 band for better versatility and volume output.

On my Stingray Classic, while I hated the glossy neck, I loved that it was birdseye maple instead of standard maple. The volume output on it was the equivalent of a passive bass. In fact, my custom shop P bass with Nordstrand Audio NP4a pickups in it has a higher volume output than my active Stingray Classic does but the 2 things I really loved about that Stingray Classic was the string through body bridge and out of any bass that I ever owned, be it Music Man or any other brand, that bass would sit in the mix like no other bass. It sounded as close to perfect as you can get when I would play it live.

On the night SEAL Team 6 killed Osama Bin Laden, a friends band came through town on tour. They asked me to sit in with them on a few songs so I did, and brought that bass. When I got there we realized that they all play through in ear monitors and don’t use any stage monitors at all. On the songs that I sat in on them with, I had to play completely by memory and all I could here on stage was the drums and a little bit of vocals in the mains. A fan at the show recorded one of the songs I played with the band and I was able to hear what everything sounded like from the crowds perspective. When it comes to my own amps and set up while playing, I am a tone nerd and am very specific and precise on getting everything to sound just right. When I heard the mix that was coming through the mains, it was spot on and the bass was coming through very clear on each note being played but was not overpowering.

The other times in recent years I have heard my basses in a house mix has been at church. I would mainly play my Music Man Bongos, and they always sounded really good in the house mix too. Same with my regular Stingray basses but my Classic would always come through any mix and sound the best. I’ll give it to the folks at Music Man that whatever they did when they built that bass, they obviously did very right!

GonzoBfiddy likes this.
  20. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    they are similar, but the MM version looks like a nurse's orthopedic shoe. I meant what I wrote actually. lol.
    1979_Fretless_Sabre_for_Serials_Dudepit.
    IMG_9515dd_1024x1024.

Wood and Wire likes this.