1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stock vs. "upgrade" PU...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nitsuj, May 12, 2011.

1. Modern Stock

50 vote(s)
    41.3%
  2. Vintage Design

71 vote(s)
    58.7%
  1. Buying a brand new Fender American Standard P bass.

Keep stock PUP, or get the Vintage Design Fender PUPs?

Is there a significant tonal difference? Output difference?

BTW, please don't feed me that "whatever sounds best to you" BS... If I wanted to hear some hippie, yoda, nonsense, I'd go talk with the 60 year old, white, Rastaman standing out front of Whole Foods.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    But it really is whatever sounds best to you. I know what *I* like, I don't know what *YOU* like. It also depends on band situation (will you even hear the difference), amp played through (does it make a difference?) etc.

3. +1.

Sorry dude, but the "What sounds best to you" answer stands.

Now, what sort of sound are you looking for? That's would help TBer's get a feel for what you're looking for.

4. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Wow, great way to start a thread - really encourages people to help you ... :rollno:

5. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    That's like asking someone "What kind of cheese should I eat?" Well what the hell do you like?! Do you want a modern sound or a vintage sound? There's your answer. Don't post a question then use the work "nonsense" to describe the most logical answer.

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    You demand better than BS, yet YOU provide nothing but BS by saying you'll dismiss the best advice you can get. If you're not a teenager, that kind of attitude sure makes you sound like one? ;)

For what it's worth, you're buying an American Standard Precision. That's a damn fine bass that lots of very talented players rock the hell out of. There's NO reason at at that anyone HAS to upgrade the pickup in it.

So, what specifically don't you like about the stock pickup? If you can't answer that question, I'd suggest following the lead of all those other players and rocking the hell out of your new bass as-is for a while. See if it works for you. If not, then figure out EXACTLY why it doesn't and then either try a new bass that meets your tonal needs OR find a pickup that meets them.

But replacing a pickup for no reason accomplishes nothing but wasting your money. Find a reason, then - and ONLY then - do you address that need.

7. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I see some confusion setting in here. I can help!

If you are looking for more of a vintage type P tone, go with the Vintage tone.

If you are more of modern P sound kinda guy, go with the modern stock.

That should clear things up.

8. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    /THREAD

:)

9. No one can elaborate on the differences between these 2 pups ?
    More mids in the modern? Less output in the vintage? Highs more clear in modern? Lows more present in vintage?
    Are there any differences that anyone can elaborate on other than modern sounds modern and vintage sounds vintage?

I'm not going to buy the vintage pups, and A/B them and the stocks... it just isn't going to happen. I'd rather get some input like... "there really ISN'T much difference", or "The vintage pups definitely provide a more warm, fat presence compared to the crisp--more mid-emphasized modern pups"...

THAT would useful. Voting for one pup over another, and providing feedback that ends at "whatever YOU like dude", is NOT useful.

And... only OLD folks express contempt for teenagers...

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Cheddar.

11. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Enjoy the heck out of the new bass! If you don't dig the sound, only then should you try a new set of pickups. Take the money you would have spent on the vintage pup and experiment with strings - they'll have just as much, if not more of, an effect on your sound. Why fix what's not broken?

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Have fun, dude. When you can pose a question, and not insult most of the audience in the same breath, you might actually get help. For now, I'm going to stick with what I originally stated and add this: do a search.

13. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    +1 I'm actually sorry I voted before reading the OP's first post :)

14. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Fixed, ;).

Note smiley. I got the humor in your post. Get the humor in mine.

15. +1

16. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Nah dude, havarti.

17. Here is the best advice you can provide (strings--- I'm happy with my Roto 77s; might slap on some 88s):

1. Buy the bass and buy the other pick-ups...
    2. Play bass as is; record it in several different situations to provide a good "listen".
    3. Remove stock; install Vpups.
    4. Repeat step 2.
    5. Critical assess the pups
    6. a. keep the vpups in; play. Or...
    b. uninstall vpups; install stock; play.

By saying "choose what you like", this is the extant you would have to go to to make a determination, following this advice.
    This would be a very solid method, but one that is extremely time consuming.

It is very easy to A/B amps, guitars, etc. You just go into your nearest retailer and play what you want. You cant A/B pups, strings, etc in stores, making the "whatever sounds best to you" argument (yes, it IS the bottom line) really not practical.

If you can't compare the 2 pups, fine. If you can't say which, in your view, someone else should go with- fine. It really DOESN'T matter. BUT... searching threads, trying to gather useful information/opinions regarding gear, would be a MUCH smoother ride without the 4 posts per page asking posters to try it themselves (and, yes, this does underline the importance of *MY* opinion---but in some circumstances it just isn't logical).

The Golden Years

I cannot see, I cannot pee, I cannot chew, I cannot screw

Oh My God What can I do

My memory shrinks, My hearing stinks, No sense of smell, I look like hell!, My mood is bad - can you tell?

My body's drooping, Have trouble pooping, The Golden Years has come at last

The Golden Years can kiss my ass.

18. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    i hate to brag on fender, but i have an 08 am standard and the pups are killer

19. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    There is honestly not that much difference in the various single coil Alnico Jazz pickups. YMMV. I voted to keep it stock and save your money for other stuff...

20. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I've the feeling that the bass should be kept as it is unless there something wrong with it, or there is no other bass that answer to your quest. You don't want a stock 2011 MIA p bass? Buy a older one.