1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stoner / Doom Bassist Thread - Part 18

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Aug 1, 2012.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Continuation of this thread.

2. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    Wow, banged a thread out in a week.

3. i'm impressed.

4. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    I think we can do better

5. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Pretty quick new thread creation by the mods. Must have been watching us to make sure we played nice with the political talk =P

6. dunwichamps

dunwichamps Commercial User

Jul 23, 2012
    Owner: Dunwich Amps
    maybe I am helping to kick it into overdrive

7. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    There's a surprise... :D

8. NICE!:bassist:

9. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Are you playing the survivor mode? I played standard and fast travel is a godsend for playing that game for short amounts of time, but does make a lot of missions quick and lame.

Fallout 3 was more about the super mutant, New Vegas made it more about tribes.

-I fast travel a lot, I'm just obsessed with doing all of the side missions so it's taking awhile. I like the factions/tribes thing, I've managed not to piss anyone off too badly yet (except the powder gangers), but I'm looking forward to starting a war with the Leigon. I just need to level up and get some better weapons first. Gun Runners is expensive... It's a great game, but I think I enjoyed 3 a little more. I actually liked the downtown subway dungeon maze and tough supermutant battles.

S***, I'm a dork. Back to the stonery doomy bass talk...

10. I'll repost this again since it was at the end and all..

Anyone have experience with the gig-fx Sub-Wah Bass Wah pedal? It looks killer!

11. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    To you amp guys, I am ordering my tubes and parts to redo my Windsor. I read online a guy added a choke made for the JCM 800 to this choke less amp. They're only $37 so if it was a game changer I'd get it.

What does the choke do different? Or do in an amp period.

12. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wasn't going to keep up the off-topic convo but since our primary goal here is pushing to 1000 posts....

The issue I had with Skyrim was just what Laz said, if you max out Smithing and Enchanting early then the rest of the game is a cakewalk. Also, your companions are nearly invincible, so anytime I was in over my head, I sent my companion in to tank. It was the basic game mechanic, not any sneaky bug or workaround, that made it too easy.

Fallout NV I really like because of the focus on factions and your skill planning, you really can't see everything the first go-around. My first play I figured I'd be a good guy, join the NCR, and go cowboy guns... since skills were all in Guns I had to basically ignore the fun explosive/energy weapons. 2nd go around I joined the Brotherhood of Steel and ran train with plasma weapons and power armor through the whole game. This current playthrough I'm going primarily explosives/heavy guns, and as soon as I finish the missions in a town I exterminate everyone. Since its my 3rd playthrough and I know how to plan, my character is much more powerful, but the difficulty evens out because theres gangs of bounty hunters constantly banging down my door.

However I very rarely use fast travel. I like these games because they are a true escape from reality, only broken up by loading screens. And when you jog everywhere you find alot more Easter eggs and cool things the devs threw in to reward you for exploring.

Red Dead Redemption / GTA are really the only other games I've played in the last year, I think since they invented this "sandbox" gaming idea anything small or linear just feels dated. Really pumped for the next RDR or GTA sequel, hope it comes to 360 cuz I doubt I'll be buying the next console.

13. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    I'm no amp surgeon and I'm sure Dunwich will chime in shortly. But my understanding is a choke is going to supply even voltage. I think it is more of a better design issue than a sonic issue. But I could be wrong.

14. dunwichamps

Jul 23, 2012
    Choke is used to filter out AC hum in the power supply, thats its #1 contribution to the amp, the choke is a very large inductor which is in series with the power supply, usually it connects the plate to the screen supply as the screens on the power tubes are more sensitive to noise. The DC sees the inductor as a fairly low resistance, something like 50-200 ohms but the AC sees the impedance of the inductors as 1-10 Kohms so this reduces the 60-120hz hum in the supply. This will reduce low frequency noise.

Now there choke can also help to prevent sag in the amp if you used it before the plate supply right off the main power supply caps in the amp. Inductors can store energy and release it as current, so if the amp requires a large transient increase in current the choke supply it. However when placed after the plates, it is less effective in this regards but still does help provide extra current during heavy notes. what does this mean sonically, well you may notice an improvement in low end response but I doubt its super major or anything.

15. Just gettin' in the thread.

16. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    Interesting, see I did the assassin thing first, and I did smithing and found it was all pointless because I found better sneak gear.

And I must be a clumsy/panicked person in combat, because I have personally killed every companion myself on accident within a few hours in game or otherwise.

Never played red dead but it's $19.99 now so I might have to.

As for this being off topic, I think Elder Scrolls and Fallout are two of the doomiest games.

17. Sunnburn

Sunnburn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Dayton, Oh
    Dang you guys sure are Chatty Cathys. LOL!
    O.k. I read some video game talk. I have wasted too much time playing World of Warcraft. Hell, I even had my wife playing. What a great game. Blizzard keeps updating and it always runs smooth. Everytime you think your getting bored, those bastages change it up and give you something to strive for. I haven't touched it in a couple months. 2 young kids will do that to ya. I also tried Diablo III. It seemed cool for about a week or two. It then became super boring. I like FPS'ers, But since I choke my reflexes every night, getting schooled by 13 year olds isn't that fun.
    Also, Askere mentioned "The Buffalo Killers" at the end of the last thread. Great band. My keys player actually went to H.S. with the brothers. The are immensely talented dudes. Love to see them getting recognition. That is all.

18. dunwichamps

Jul 23, 2012
    just like doomroom

19. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    yeah thats the one i was talking about. any experience with these?

20. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    Hmm... Well I plan to use the windsor as my high mids and dirt in conjuction with another amp as my low mids and bass and clean.

At the same time, I know I'll be using it by itself, and while I have no inclination to turn this into a dub machine, I do want to turn it into a nice bass friendly amp. I am doing a few mods a guy suggested from this forum, to hopefully drop the distortion and gain down and beef it up.

If a choke will drop hiss/add low end that sounds like a win. What do you mean by sag though, because I always read people love the sag of a tube amp for overdrive, and I don't want to eliminate the tube goodness.

Edit: this is in response to Dunwich about the choke. Also yes Buffalo Killers are great, and have killer tone. I could never get passed level 30 in WoW, it is an amazing game, but I can't farm for **** all day I get bored.