Stoner/Doom Bassist Thread Part 5

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam, as a Canadian, when can I expect you to play in Halifax? We're only a 16-17 hour drive apart!

I want to see you dudes rip it up with Iron Giant and Broken Ohms. Plus you can let me touch your Magma.

2. We would love to go to the east coast, maybe one day it will happen. Right now we are concentrating on the album and organizing All That's Heavy II. Some great bands lined up so far including Iron Man and Blizarro.

3. I hope magma doesn't mean something else in Nova Scotia ;)

4. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I hope it does!

5. Is it just me that we didn't get another "stoner/doom" subtitle to our thread?

6. How about "time to hit the 7Eleven".

7. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    "Atop mount magma"

8. Liquid Hot Magma? *said in "my Dr.Evil" impersonation.

9. Only one way to find out, b'ys!

10. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    Hey guys, I'm in the market for a bass fuzz and am thinking Watson fy2 or tall font russian.

Thoughts?

11. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    both!

12. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    or maybe this now that i noticed it:

wrenandcuff.com » The Box of War

13. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    the tall font is awesome, but Ive been wanting a Box of War ever since I heard about them!

14. I can't stop looking at some of the cabs you guys have been telling me about. They all seem pretty reasonable for custom built cabs. I'll let you guys know what I end up doing.

15. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    So, I am not very good at describing tone, sound etc in words that others may understand so I will not attempt to give a full fledged review on the Magma (Sam and eyeball would probably be much better for that) but I will share my experience with getting to play it the first time today with my rig when I used it at band practice.

It took me a few minutes to get a feel for how the whole amp actually works, specifically with finding the right balance between channel levels, master level and the volume control on my PA. I had the EQ knobs set in the 3-4 range (from 1-10) and realized that I needed to turn them up to the 5-7 range to really open up the amp. Eventually I found a pretty good sweet spot setting channel A with some really heavy drive and channel B with drive around 5 for a clean sound with some highs cut. Ran the channels together and the Magma took me to boner town.

I knew I liked the sound of this thing from the audio clips and video, but man this thing is impressive in person. I loved my SVT-CL I sold to pay for this, but I do not regret changing at all. One of the immediate things that stood out to me was how much better notes on my D and G strings cut through in the band mix than they did with my SVT. Our songs give me lots of opportunity to do lots of noodling runs but when we play live most of these higher register notes are not really heard. I could really hear myself with the Magma.

Really love how the channels blend together. Running the amp clean sounds terrific, and the fuzz brought by cranked drive rivals the good fuzz pedals I have played. Overall the thing just sounds incredible. I attempted to use it with my pedals for a couple minutes but did not have much success. I was running my bass into my board then into the A/B input. I think that I would have to run a separate effects loop for each channel to be able to get my pedals to work how I would want them to, however I'm not much of an effects guy and doubt I will really be using them much. For now I may just put the board on the shelf and just run my tuner and Magma footswitch.

Sure I'm in the first day of my honeymoon period but this thing absolutely rocks. Can get a lot of diverse sounds and when cranked it crushes.

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    thats a purty good description! Its a juicy preamp, alot of solid state preamps sound kinda sterile, but this thing has some really tubey roundsound, and I agree that it really makes the higher strings stand out prominently (in a good way). I too cut the highs on this on the clean. I would say that the drive not only 'rivals' good fuzz pedals, it can out do alot of em with that EQ. I instantly loved the tone of the fuzziness and thats a hard sell with me.

17. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Posted my thoughts when it first come out. Personally I love it. I think they did an even better job with their round robin vocal style of including all 3 members. I think Passage Through Purgatory is still my favorite but I definitely dig this one.

18. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
  19. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Man... that thing in black is sweet. Couldn't find it online anywhere to purchase though. Wonder how much it costs.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.