Stoner/Doom Bassist Thread Part 5

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
  2. I have no experience with a Jack Casady, but I did own an Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow(older version with single humbucker). I never had any feedback from that and I played it through a lot of big, loud amps. The only time I had feedback was on purpose, when I turned on the EHX Bass Balls and held the bass up close to the cab.:bassist:

3. I fully support this statement.

4. Nice!

Working from home again, waiting for the Magma. Hopefully UPS doesn't fail me again.

Found a good deal for a quad of JJ 6L6s on TB so the peavey power amp will be ready to go soon..

5. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Should be awesome, however the Magma does sound quite juicy through my 8 lbs Class D power amp :D

6. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Man, after going from a 25lb head to a 60lb head, your Magma/class D rig sounds sweet!

7. I wanna see ya'lls rigs now that there is the Magma onboard and a lot of you have gotten new power amps too. show em.

8. Soon

9. and BAM!

photo10.jpg

10. Thanks for the answer.
    I don't think a little crunch will do any harm to the band. But i'll be sad to cut the low end. I'm new to the whole tube thing, if i run the amp hard, does that shorten the tubes lifetime, or will it just create fuzz?

Yeah it was a combo, and a pretty lousy one too, i bought it years ago when i played in a punk band. I asked in the store for the cheapest amp with the highest volume, and ended up with a Hughes & Kettner Basskick 505.

11. In my limited experience, if you dimed a tube amp, the tubes will wear faster. If anyone knows for sure, please chime in. I have often wondered this but never got to dime my old crate 2-12".

I used that amp when a buddy tried getting a post rock group together and asked if I would play guitar for him. Never needed it to get past 1 o' clock or so. Talk about doom, that band had chords that rang for like a minute or so with some progressive rifts layered in. Wish we would have recorded something.

12. If you run tubes hard they will wear out faster. you don't need to cut the lows but its one way to gain some extra headroom if you find its too fuzzy.

What bass and cab are you planning on using and do you use effects?

13. Played with the MAGMA for a bit, do you guys find that you need to have the drive at at least 2 o'clock to get any usable volume? The usable range seem pretty narrow on it really between 3 o'clock and 5. It seems to go from dead quiet to really loud then really distorted.

I'm actually really liking a mostly clean tone out of it with a little bit of bit and grind. Sounds a lot like Geddy with my Ric. The tone controls take a little getting used to but so far it's pretty kickass. just not sure about the drive knob. how are you guys finding it?

14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    well you have a number of ways to boost the output.
    the Drive which I put around 1-2 oclock.
    the EQ which is db adding (noon isnt flat... its just from off to UP)
    then the Level
    then the Master.

put the Drive where ya want it.. take your EQ and bump what ever you have already set the highest all the way up and move everything else proportionally, and the raise the level and master.. you should have plenty of usable volume...

15. In one of Wade's emails he said to set the drive, level and master to noon and the tone controls to 9 o'clock. When I do that there is barely any volume, just curious if its the same with you as well.

16. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Reminds me a bit of Robin Trower. Me likey!

17. Hmm the seller writes 4x12", but i actually thought that it was a 4x10"
    Basamplifier, Marshall JCM 800 – dba.dk – Køb og Salg af Nyt og Brugt

My bass is a Gibson SG Cherry Heritage, and i have thought of buying a Zvex Wolly Mammoth pedal, but tit depends on which amp i'll end up with.

18. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I felt setting the EQs to 9:00 the level was way too low and turned my highs to noon and mids and lows to 2:00 or so and the volume seemed much more normal.

It's really just a matter of getting a feel for the amp. One that happened I found a setting I liked and running my PA channels at 50% and it was louder than my SVT CL with my master at 1:00.

19. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    Yeah.. I put the Drive @ 1-2.. bass almost full, mid about 3, treble about noon (i play a stingray and need to knock back some mids and alot of zing for good thick tone) put the Level at like 3 and master anywhere from noon to 3 and had my power amp at halfway and its gigging loud.

20. My buddy plays/did play in a band and had that exact setup. He ended up cranking it every practice but it sounded real good. Plenty of usable volume for his thrash/punk band.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.