Stoner/Doom Bassist Thread Part 5

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So initially I wasn't blown away by the MAGMA, but seeing as how my 810 was just sitting in the garage and that I'm on vacation with nothing to do, I decided to hook up the MAGMA along with the Peavey 120 to the 810.

So I braved the freezing temperatures (not really that bad, its probably just above the freezing point) in my Milwaukee Bucks PJs and played it for about 15 minutes at just below gig/practice levels. The Magma sounded pretty huge, nice round tone with some great low mid bark that put a big smile on my face. Then the Mao era tubes in the Peavey went crackle and pop and turned to complete $%*t. Ran back inside and substituted the Crown XLS1000 for the Peavey and kept playing until I couldn't feel my fingers. Really really nice preamp, it does have some strange noise issues when the gain is cranked. If I tap the MAGMA faceplate it kind of sputters a little, not sure if its a loose connection or what, i'll have my tech take a quick look, but other than that I'm really digging it so far. Especially the cleaner tones.

I don't want to sound like a tube snob, but it sounded quite a bit better through the Peavey than the Crown, is it worth the extra 25lbs better? I haven't decided yet, I'll need to get the Peavey running at 100% to make that decision, I hope to try it out with the band this weekend.

Does anyone know exactly what cable I need for the footswitch aka the Magma Engager?

crappy pic
    photo11.jpg

2. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
  3. thanks for the link Laz, they do ship to Canada. Have you ever used their cables? Are they any good? I have always used Digiflex and they last forever.

4. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I purchase their stuff for work all the time, and I purchased the one I linked for this exact purpose. They make all their stuff and it's the best place to buy cables like that. The cable I linked is very high quality. The only thing I would stay away from are using their mono TRS cables as guitar cables as movement causes them to be microphonic, as they were not designed for that intended use. Good for patch cables though.

5. good to know, thanks...cable snob:D

6. Burning Witch and Sleep are really the only Stoner or Doom bands I listen to.

I don't think I'd consider myself a Stoner/Doom bassist... I've been in bands that have had a few stoner or doom based riffs or songs, but never enough to ever call my band a Stoner or Doom band.

That being said... Burning Witch was just a brutally awesome band. Anyone else agree?

7. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    Don Oatman, Low Down Sound, made a single 15 for me that weighs about 35 lbs. It only cost a little over $400. Is loud and punchy.

8. OK kids, here are some MAGMA samples.

First:

Using only 1 channel, various drive settings and then a few different EQ settings as well.
    MAGMA Single Channel by the_brow on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Second:

Using two channels together, first the dirty tone from channel A on its own then I blend in a clean tone from channel B and play with the EQ on channle B. Did not really adjust channel A at all just some volume changes here and there.
    MAGMA Two Channel by the_brow on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Here is the recording chain.

4001 Ric > MAGMA > CROWN XLS1000 > Ampeg 210AV > Heil PR-40 > Sony Soundforge > 320kpbs MP3.

Apologies in advance for the lame riff. I suggest a good set of headphones so that you can hear the subtleties.

The tonal possibilities are endless with this preamp. once you understand how the tone controls and volume interact it becomes quite intuitive.

Great job with this Wade! And if anyone wants me to try different settings just let me know I will do my best. I have the Ric, a Jazz and a couple of Ps (rounds and flats) at my disposal. I also have a yorkville 115 cab if you prefer.

edit: Here is sample with the P-bass and flatwounds. http://soundcloud.com/the_brow/magma-flats

9. Nice. Sounds like a beast combination. I wonder what the Peavey 120/120 is going to add to it?

10. Well before my Peavey 120 died it did add some extra warmth and made the magma sound a little beefier, not that the magma lacks any beef. I did not get a chance to push the Peavey, but I imagine the magma with some power tube saturation will sound awesome.

11. I think we have similar imaginations... ;)

12. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    55b900c0.jpg

no one was high when that was designed... pulled that from the nether regions of my childhood =P

13. UPS was good to me again. Delivered a Baddy 1 Shoe Wayfarer that I picked up here on TB. Nice OD pedal, kind of has that saturated fender sound. It does seem to cut a bit of lows but not too bad, will have to see how noticeable it is in a band situation. I think it will be fine though.

here is a clip. Ric 4001 into the MAGMA/Crown combo and 210AV mic'd with the PR40. First is clean, then the Wayfarer with the gain switch in the low gain position then with the switch in the higher gain.

Wayfarer by the_brow on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

it may just keep my Darkglass GAS at bay for now.

14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    Im gonna probably make a demo video later today that compares some fuzzes.. and some ODs..

probably have the Bluebeard, Supercollider, Ox bass, Sublime, and Tall font, and B3K on the Fuzz... and the SFT, Dark Driving, Kaeden, B3K, Supercollider, and Ox on the OD video...

does anybody else find themselves unable to start a file on soundcloud with IE?.. if i go to those with firefox they work fine, but in IE they wont start playing.... could be my computer...who knows..

15. Excellent. B3/7K and Tall Font are on my list of want to try.

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    I dig that Wayfarer... sounded good.

17. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    ok.. so I shot some quick comparison videos. Its my stingray>boomerang>pedals>sunn 1200s>berg nv610>camera>youtube>your speakers...

Its just a quick loop and toggle thru the pedals..
    the first one is ODs and Fuzzes used as ODs with low gain.
    its the Supercollider (which makes an AWESOME OD) the OXbassfuzz, sublime, fuzzrocious Kaeden, Dark Driving, B3k, and SFT...

its OD Demo Comparison
    its live now..

The Fuzz Demo/Comparison is the Earthbound Audio Supercollider, Oxfuzz bass, Fender Sublime, B3K as a Fuzz, W+C Tall Font, and Bluebeard....
    its Fuzz Demo/Comparison
    it should be live soon...

theres also a Fuzzrocious Kaeden quick demo coming too.which is HERE!

18. Lars_Vegas

Lars_Vegas

Jul 12, 2010
    I like the Sublime, Oxfuzz and the Bluebeard most!
    But that Sublime is just way too big!
    how does the Bluebard compare to the EHX BBM regarding low-end?
    I know the BBM doesnt get much love, but here in Europe it is by far the cheapest
    fuzz that works on bass. I like mine (compared to the normal EHX muff i tried), though I use
    a LS-2 for blending in more mids. Can the Bluebeard deliver a lot of punishing low-end like the BBM?

19. thanks for putting those together.

got a couple of questions for you:

On the OD samples where do you have the fuzz and blend set at on the Ox Fuzz? Can't quite see it in the video.

How do you like the B3K? It seems kind of scooped to me and I kind of don't trust it. I like the tones but I think I would go for the flexibilty of the B7K over it, to give me control over the mids.

Overall I pretty much liked everything I heard excep the Kaeden and to a lesser extent the DD. I think the sublime is fantastic but that enclosure is just stupid, if anyone ever figures out how to put that circuit into a normal enclosure I would buy 2 or 3.

The Bluebeard is awesome although I would like to hear a few more samples of it if anyone cares to oblige...:bag: . I think it will be something I will own one day.

Those SC clips were probably the best I have ever heard for the SC, I was surprised at how good it sounds at low gain too.

To me the Tall Font seems to be able to get close to all the other fuzzes, it sounds really good and probably the one I would go for. Small size lots of good tones and the clean blend is very good sounding too. (Does the Tall Font come wiht a clean blend though or did you get that custom made?)

The Oxfuzz still kills, I'm going to contact Ken and see if he can add a switch to mine that would reduce that high mid spike it produces, I'm guessing he won't do it so if any of you guys know someone who is good at that kind of stuff please let me know.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.