Stoner/Doom Bassist Thread Part 5

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    being a german made warwick its probably stupid expensive stateside!

2. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    The link I put was for the Korean one. Prolly way cheaper and easier to find.

3. Lars_Vegas

Lars_Vegas

Jul 12, 2010
  4. Scogman

Scogman

Apr 20, 2011
    Bangkok Thailand
    Just jumped into this thread on Part 5, haven't been through the previous threads so if this is a repeat I apologize.

But here is a link to some lightweight fEARful cabs. The cabs are in the 30-40 lbs range for a very high performance cab.

Extreme Weight Reduction -

5. Got some tracks back from the studio, unmixed, unedited and no overdubs. can you tell we don't use a click track? :D

these are our two attempts at doom...

Grommet by the_brow on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This is Herman Nelson by the_brow on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

And something a little less doomy.

Store High In Transit - Communing with the Infinite by the_brow on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Some obvious mistakes that we will fix and then layer on a couple of guitar tracks but I think the base is there.

6. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    Here is a band a couple of my friends and x-bandmates are in you guys might enjoy.

HELM | HELM

7. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Screw being your singer. I want to be your bassist!

8. not quite sure how to interpret that;)

9. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Saw Borracho and Nitroseed last night. Both were awesome. You'd think downtown Baltimore on a Friday would have a better turn out but nope. So many good bands here but the scene is so awful =P

10. Hey, I play in the Danish Stoner- southern rock band Barbwire Messiah.
    The voice Coil in my old amp has just crashed, and i'm now looking to buy a new amp, more precisely i'm looking at a Marshall JCM 800 Bass series - 1992 100 watt amp, with a 410 Cabinet. It's for sale to, what i consider, a damn good price for an all tube amp.
    But i'm in doubt if it can provide enough volume for my use.
    Any of you stoners who uses Marshall amps? or can give me some amp-guidance here?

Barbwire Messiah - The Deal Is Off - YouTube

11. Mattosaur

Mattosaur

Jan 21, 2011
    Michigan
    Black Cobra / The Sword / Kyuss Lives show last night.

It was one of those shows that is going to fuel my practice/jam fire for a very long time.

I was particularly surprised by JD's vocal in The Sword. I thought they often sounded a little weak in live recordings I'd heard, but he brought it hard last night. He sounded awesome. It was awesome to see how much fun they had playing together.

Also, my new fantasy jam partner is Brant Bjork. Holy crap that guy can drum. You could practically see plumes of Death Valley dust roll off his kit every time he hit a tom.

12. If you're not looking for clean and don't mind running the amp hard then you should be fine, especially if you cut some low end frequencies.

13. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I'm confused. Was your amp a combo?

14. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    They`re stopping in Buffalo this Tuesday. I` kind of on the fence weather or not to go out and see `em. I like the Sword a lot,how was Kyuss?

15. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Is Reeder the touring bassist now that Nick is in prison? If so they would totally be worth seeing just to watch Reeder.

16. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    A friend of mine just seen them in Chicago. A blurry pic his wife took looked like nick playing.

17. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    I wish I couldve gone to that. Its kinda sad how many KILLER bands play to very small crowds.. even in the city.. I was one of maybe 18 people when I saw Weedeater last time... I really think that people are getting too lazy to go see good live bands anymore, and just watch it on Youtube.

18. This is awesome! vocals aren't my cup of tea but I can listen past them...

19. You should check out Hex Cabs. The dudes from Eagle Twin build them.

Also, I've played my Jack Casady in a fairly low volume environment with fuzz on and the feedback is pretty crazy. I imagine gig level would just be a full on WOOOOOOOO between notes...but maybe you want that = P

20. Mattosaur

Mattosaur

Jan 21, 2011
    Michigan
    Kyuss was pretty great. If you like their records, you'll enjoy the show.

Nick was playng bass. Scott Reeder was doing international dates, as Nick is out on bail and can't leave the country. He's a monster player, but I'm a bit torn on admiring his playing, given his history of domestic abuse.

All in all, I thought it was a great nit of music. The audience was really into both The Sword and Kyuss.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.