Stoner/Doom Bassists Thread, Part 90: Maxed Out

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Korladis, Apr 3, 2014.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    dig the pink!

2. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    M O N O B R O W W W

bassboysam and Novarocker like this.
  3. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Hell yeah!

bassboysam likes this.
  4. El_Charro

El_Charro

Aug 11, 2020
    —————
    I’m well acquainted with losing at Mario Kart to my Wife on the Switch…

Fun game, but no matter how much you practice I feel like the algorithm in the game constantly tries to sabotage you especially if you are in the lead on the first two laps…

Damn turtle shells somehow always end up taking me out…

Thanks!

Novarocker and instrumentalist like this.
  5. lucas303

lucas303 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    What's up team. As usual I have nothing useful or interesting to report. Starting to pare down my gear in preparation for moving to a different state next year. Sold a bass, might sell another. Might also sell my Acme cabs but that's going to be a tough decision to make. I've been playing my Ibanez Mikro a lot lately and am reminded how much I love that thing. I'm going to get weird with it and redo the pickups entirely (ordered a Lace Bass Bar and I'm going to use that instead of the J pickups). Tuned to A standard the strings are a bit floppy but it sounds enormous. After reading a thread recently about really low tunings I put the suspension bridge cable back on my Dingwall and have it tuned to E0 standard. This weekend I'm going to try to make a little ditty just as an experiment with the E0 tuning. Fretless is still on my mind and I'm really tempted by the GWB35. Paging @rutrho ...

I'm pretty sure it's designed that way to allow weaker players to still have a chance and not get completely blown out all the time. The idea is to level the playing field so that even the player who isn't great at the game still has fun and feels like they've got a shot at winning.

6. br1qbat

br1qbat

Aug 22, 2017
    Marysville, MI
    Wow, that artwork is beautiful. Looks killer. Def going to want a vinyl

Novarocker likes this.
  7. thanks! Both are from the same artist that did Big Sky and Nacarat. Look him up on facebook, Task at Hand Illustration and Design. He used to hang around on this forum years ago, that's how we met.

Novarocker and br1qbat like this.
  8. lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I spent virtually all weekend trying to make a few minutes of music and not only did I fail to complete it, but what I did make is unlistenable crap. It's incredible to think that I've been playing bass for almost three years and I'm still so bad at it. Pretty discouraging. Anyway, I had to vent...apologies for the pity party.

scabpicker, themarshall and br1qbat like this.
  9. I caved and bought another HM-2, the Dunwich DIY version. Looking forward to A/B'ing it to my current stable of HM-2s on both bass and guitar.

10. HCF

HCF Of course, YMMV

Nov 30, 2008
    Amsterdam
    don't worry, I've been playing on and off for around 20 years already and I often feel the same. You're probably better than you think!

lucas303, themarshall and br1qbat like this.
  11. YawningJorin

YawningJorin

Feb 14, 2020
    Stockholm
    We all have musical bad days. Sometimes nothing good comes out. I've played for what, five years now I think? Still get those. But I also get good days where the first thing I play comes out beautifully, and that's what really counts :)

If you have a bad day, it might be better to focus on the less creative aspects. Practice, recording, mundane production tasks, etc.

Another one for the Dunwich Chapter Amplification Cult :)
    I'll be looking at making the lot of the DIY designs once the last one is out and I have the time + energy

lucas303, themarshall and br1qbat like this.
  12. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    @HCF & @YawningJorin pretty well summed up what I had to say. I’ll add that it’s the losses you fight for, not the easy wins, that you really learn from. I think enlightenment might be not radically accepting the failures, but lovingly embracing them.
    Also, the occasional rough patch keeps the doom fires stoked.

Novarocker, lucas303, HCF and 2 others like this.
  13. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi

I expect an all-things-HM2 resource à la Kit Rae’s Muff page to be in the works.

Novarocker likes this.
  14. lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Thanks for the helpful insights, everyone.

br1qbat likes this.
  15. Oh, I've had Dunwich in the past. But so far, I was trying them for pedal types I didn't like (RAT, OCD) hoping that the Dunwich versions which are often touted as the absolute best, would change my mind. That wasn't necessarily the result, but Dunwich certainly makes great stuff. I found the best RAT to be the Earthbound Iron Pig and the best OCD to be the EHX Glove (on guitar, mind you -I have yet to find a "keeper" OCD for bass, and am no longer really looking).

That being said, I LOVE the HM-2. I have had more variations of this circuit than any other, and still keep a stable of 7-8 of them right now. And the Dunwich came in this afternoon. Haven't had more than a few minutes of lower volume noodling, but I can say that so far, it is the BEST bass HM-2 I've ever played for what I need. It's NOT the most versatile so far - that would go to the Throat Locust. But for the tones I'm aiming for, it's dead simple to find those tones, whereas the TL required much more tweaking. I'll stop from saying more until I can get some more time in with the HM-2 over the next few days, but to say it's promising so far is quite the understatement. I wonder what I'll think of it on guitar?

16. I am nowhere near educated enough in electronics to make that happen. I go solely by what my (classically untrained) ear tells me!

themarshall and Novarocker like this.
  17. YawningJorin

YawningJorin

Feb 14, 2020
    Stockholm
    That's great! In my limited experience, I've actually preferred the HM-3 to the HM-2 for bass. That said, my comparison has been of the Behringer HM-2 clone and the original HM-3 so I guess it hasn't been entirely fair. Maybe the HM-2w or the Dunwich will change my mind on that front. What do you think of the HM-3?

18. Never played one! I have a buddy with the Waza on order, so hopefully I'll get to check that out in the next few months. I actually snagged my Dunwich for cheaper than the Waza pre-order, so I'm a happy man right now.

Novarocker and YawningJorin like this.
  19. Alright, more Dunwich DIY HM-2 talk. Got about 30 minutes in earlier. Definitely the best on bass. Simple to dial in, versatile enough for quick changes that still sound great, and retains a great amount of "heft" that other HM-2s lose at higher gain settings, even with low amounts of clean blended in. It also sounds more "natural" (as far as HM-2s go) than any other HM-2 I've ever heard for bass. All in all, it pretty much instantly replaced my Throat Locust and Arion Metal Master as my go-to HM-2 for bass. I can easily cop both tones I use from those pedals with the Dunwich, and it sounds better doing so.

Guitar review - NOT my favorite. It sounds great, and it's aggressive and everything else, but it almost sounds too generic. Like a standard high gain metal amp. Again, not bad, but not necessarily HM-2ish. It almost sounds almost too natural for me. I aim for the Dismember style HM-2 on guitar, and other pedals nail that better. This may sound objectively "better" for many uses, but for that specific tone, there are other, cheaper, more readily available, and better HM-2s. That being said, if you want a high gain amp in a box with an HM-2 flair for guitar, you could do far worse than the Dunwich DIY.

In unrelated news, my annoying bass hum has returned. Thinking maybe bad pickup or something? It gets far worse when I touch the screw on the bridge pickup, but is totally silent when I touch a knob, string, or the bridge. Active bass, probably a bad ground. Also makes an annoying static-y noise when I hit certain notes hard enough. Only this bass makes these noises, so I know it's not anything else in my rig. May end up gutting the electronics and having a local tech upgrade everything to make sure the wiring is up to snuff.

Novarocker likes this.
  20. El_Charro

El_Charro

Aug 11, 2020
    So…Serious question here…

I don’t want to post this in the main forums bc I don’t want to have to sift thru all of the “any bass/amp will do” and sarcastic replies and I’m confident enough with this forum that I will get legitimate advice if I ask this here…

I’m probably still a long ways off from buying, but if you “HAD” to pick one head/amp brand out of the three I’ve narrowed it down to-Which would you pick and why???…

I keep coming back to Orange, Mesa, or Ampeg for a rig (not in a band yet, but eventually I would like to be)…

For my amp head budget-I’m looking at the Orange Terror 500 , The Mesa Subway 800, or the Ampeg SVT-7 Pro 1000 watt…

From research I’ve done-I’m leaning towards a Mesa as it seems like it’s the most versatile (maybe I’m a bit biased there bc some bands I like have used Mesa), but it also doesn’t seem weigh a million pounds (one of my few hang ups w Ampeg’s stuff is the weight)…

Admittedly I wasn’t all that interested in Ampeg until I tried one of their heads at my local GC…I don’t remember what cabinet they had it hooked up to, but it the head sounded a lot better and a little more aggressive sounding than I was expecting even though I was just using it to try out some of the basses in the store…

Aware I could mix and match heads and cabinet brands, but just curious out of the three which one you would pick and why…

I was leaning towards Orange, but wonder if that would do as good of a job if I decide to play Thrash Metal on the side and not just Doom/Stoner stuff…

Aware that effects pedals also alter one’s sound so I suppose this question might be a bit of a moot point…

My question is more from a brand standpoint- just curious which of the three you would pick…

Absolutely no “wrong” answers here…

If you could only pick one to go onstage with -Which one are you picking bc I can’t decide…

Admittedly my indecision is helping me hang on to my money for the time being, but eventually I’m probably gonna pull the trigger on one of them, so input is appreciated…

Thanks! \m/

thombo likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021