1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stoner metal distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by moshnot, Feb 24, 2008.

1. moshnot

moshnot

Feb 24, 2008
    hey, i just downloaded dopethrone by electric wizard, and im about half way through weird tales, and this album is IMMENSE!!!
    i was just wondering if anybody knows what kind of distortion pedal would get me a sound like the bass in some of their songs, like the kind of funky distortion used in the hills have eyes, because I've been meaning to get a decent distortion pedal for a while (at the moment all i have is a behringer OD100)
    thanks

2. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I'm not particularly a fan of Electric Wizard, but the traditional SR bass sound is a Sunn amp with everything at ten.

To get as close as you can with a pedal I'd suggest you want a tube overdrive.

3. moshnot

moshnot

Feb 24, 2008
    oh yeah, like that sunn0)) band is named after?
    but i heard they'd been bought by some other company?
    can you still get their amps, and if you can, are they hideously expensive?

4. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Yep. That band did take their name from the amps, which were bought out by Fender some time in the 90s. They no longer use that name (sadly), they're not very common on eBay, and they fetch a pretty penny.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Many high-powered all-tube amps, including ones by Ampeg, Sunn, Peavey, Orange, Traynor, and a few others -cranked to max- will get you that sound. While there is no pedal that absolutely identically cops that sound, the expensive and rare BJFE Blueberry does a heroic job of trying to. Your best bet otherwise is to combine a couple of other pedals, for example a grindy distortion and a fat furry fuzz. If you run them in parallel (not in series IMO) you can get even closer to the complex gnarly tone of a massive tube amp in "doom" mode. You end up buying three pedals: a dist, a fuzz, and a blender, so it becomes complicated and not cheap. But the plus sides are (a) you don't have to hunt for rare or expensive individual pedals; (b) you have a lot of versatility of tones available; and (c) it's still cheaper and smaller than a large tube amp.

Search in this forum on "distortion" and "fuzz" and "doom" for specific recommendations that may fit your budget.

6. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    One of the best bass tones in the stoner territory is achieved by running an old DOD 250 overdrive and an Boss DS-1 into two different amps.

With a splitter or an amp with two inputs/two volumes you could try to cop something similar.

Oh yeah that tone belongs to Al Cisneros of OM and formerly of Sleep.

7. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Let me be the first to say.

Electric wizard ****ing owns.

that said, I have no contribution for this thread. Cheers.

Bunch O Numbers likes this.
  8. jjhardy

jjhardy

Mar 11, 2007
    Hate to derail the thread. but what exactly do you mean by running in parallel? I just searched and found nothing.

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Series" means running one device straight through another device 100%, a simple chain like:

bass --> pedal --> pedal --> amp

"Parallel" means your signal gets split into two or more channels and processed separately/differently on each channel. Then those channels are either mixed back down to one before feeding your amp, or they are run into more than one amp.

If you search on "blender" you'll read about the most common way most of us do this kind of processing. But there are a few different ways.

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Dopethrone is one of the greatest stoner/doom/metal albums ever. Simply a monster. Go buy it now that you know how amazing it is. :smug:
    Yep, agreed completely. I had a Sunn Sorado that I ended up selling because the Blue Berry had a nearly identical tone. Sure, it lacked the distinctive smell that a 40+ year old tube amp has, but that's not very important really.

Sunn amps are not terribly expensive used. Same with old Traynor amps. My Sorado was purchased and repaired for under $500 a few years ago.