Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stonerguys! Your eq and gear?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hc-audio, Nov 23, 2003.

1. hc-audio

hc-audio

Nov 19, 2003
    Finland, Lapua
    So, it would be nice to discuss ith u guys about stonerrock and stuff. So how is your eq usually like? what gear are u using? i have Musicman Stingray-->Big Muff PI--->Ashdown ABM-300-115. And my eq setting is like: Lows are boosted, also middle a bit, highs boosted too pretty much. How is yours?

2. i've got a stock MIM squier jazz, traynor monoblock II, a 70's yamaha 2x15 cab with celestions in it, a boss turbo overdrive and hyperfuzz and a digitech bp300 i think its called. most often i just play through the overdrive, or the muff-pi setting on the digitech, i just go for tons of lows and low mids, and old strings too, flats usually, but i'm really impressed with dadarrio half flats, they've aged a bit and i like the tiny bit of brightness they hold. i'm dyin to get a thunderbird though, that would complete my setup

3. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What do you call stoner rock?

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Dude, where's my P-Bass?

Honestly, a P-Bass into a ZVex Wooly Mammoth into a Boogie 400+ and a 2x15 works for me. Really nails that Clutch Jesus-on-the-dashboard thing.

Too bad I only have half of that gear. But then again I don't play much stoner rock either.

5. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
  6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
  7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    What are some bands that fall into the 'stoner rock' catagory. ive heard alot of genres, but i cant say stone rock is one of them...

8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    SABBATH...BLODDY SABBATH? We're not talking about BLACK sabbath here are we? Those guys are like..classic metal! :eek:

9. You know that song, "Sweet Leaf"...

Trust me. Black Sabbath is one of the original stoner rock bands.

A cranked Jazz bass through an SVT works fine. Play hard enough and you won't need no stinking fuzz pedal.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im no stoner rock expert but seeing QOTSA on that list makes me wonder if maybe thats what all this stuff Ive been writing would be called.

In any case.... I like the sound or a Jazz (Stingray or P) bass into either an SVT, or 400+ into an Ampeg 810 cab for that kind of stuff. I usually just leave the EQ flat or close to it with maybe some of the lower mids boosted.

I just got a SANSAMP RBI and its doing a good job of geting me that tone.

Peace
    Nick

11. a few other big name stoner rock bands are kyuss, nebula, fu manchu, orange goblin, monster magnet and the others were mentioned, iron giant, just a local band around here but might make it big if they keep it up, they're already beening compared to some big name stoner rock bands, and i'm going to see them tommorow night opening for nashville pussy :D :p

12. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I'm in a band called Earthride. Been playing the stoner/fuzz/doom type of rawk for years... I don't even listen to the radio anymore, and if I do, it's classic rock.

For me, a Rick 4001 into an early 70's SVT and 8x10 (two 8x10's for the big joints) cranked up just short of the point of explosion seems to work pretty good. P-basses and Jazzes will do it too, but I like like muh Rick!

www.earthride.net

13. Hi there,
    I'm in a band called Ashville. We play stoner-rock with some metal influences... call us heavy, groovy and stoner if you like.
    Website is under contstruction: we just released a demo.

Anyways,
    my rig: Warwick Corvette Standard 4 string into an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro eq'ed with bass, and mid boost... quite a lot of gain as well... I get a fat overdriven sound that way. My cabinet is Peavey 410TVX.
    For some songs I use an EBS MultiDrive for more overdrive/distortion.

I like my sound. I like a fuzzy sound, but it just doesn't cut through enough in my band...

14. Haha,
    I'm goin' to see Nebula tonight!! Also playing: Dozer (highly recommended stoner rock from sweden!!) and Winnebango Deal.

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    For some SERIOUS heavy "stoner" bass, check out Warhorse, GREAT band from Massachusetts(USA).

The dudes name is Jerry & he uses a Ric with a Mesa or GK head & 2x18's, usally clean & sometimes a little flange or other fx.

~S~

16. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    This is one of those instances where a SVT all tube head (Mesa 400s will work) and that 810 sound is classic. Personally don't like that set up, but the mud is key in stoner rock.

17. There's quite some truth in that... stoner sounds are about 'some sort' of mudiness.
    I like my sound low and chest-pounding...

18. Phyrexian - you lucky... we hardly ever get to have the big name stoner rock bands come out this way, and they would do really well for themselves too, stoner rock is huge here, seconded by fourth rate jam bands, so its easy to see what rules out here. and nashville pussy was freakin amazing! the best live show i have ever been privy to, it was like seeing a greasy southern god of some sort, amazing is all i can say. ruyter suys is a highly underrated guitarist, i'm surprised she's not in guitar magazines more often, there arent many who can play a lightning fast solo while on their knees deepthoating a beer!:eek:

19. Hehe, I'm happy to live in a small and dense country like Belgium... Everything is close and there's like concerts every day. There are a few good stoner bands from over here and there's a network of underground bands doin' millions of concerts...

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I was in Brussels for a couple of days a couple of summers ago and one of the things that really hit me was how good the electonic music was there. Im used to really bad "dance" and "rave" music thats played all over our radio stations, but the little bit I heard there was actually great!

Oh, and Im involved in this thread so I guess it goes without saying thats not the kind of music I normally listen to.

Peace
    Nick